swinging arm

Started by mad max, March 29, 2002, 04:49:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mad max

can any one tell me how to remove the swing arm pivot bolt on my 1974 400 ktm i have tried but know i have broken the head off the allen bolt any ideas please ????????
         MAD MAX.     (HELP)

Paul Danik

MAX,
   I thought stuff like this only happened to me!!! I was waiting for someone else who already had solved your problem to answer, but here is an idea.
   Kip Kern has mentioned how he has had to take a hacksaw and cut the swingarm from the Sachs powered machines a time or two.  He makes the cuts between the frame and the swingarm, through the end of the bushing.  From what I can see on the KTM you would have to cut through the bolt that retains the needle bearings and possibly the inner tube.  All of that is replaceable and may already be in need of repair since your bolt is froze. The threaded end of the bolt could be removed with an EZ out and maybe some heat after you get the swingarm removed. It might be good to look at a manual before you start cutting so you understand what you are cutting through. Hope this helps.
Paul

Kip Kern

Paul is correct!  I have used a hacksaw but now I use a 1/32 cutoff wheel in a die grinder and it is over in seconds.  Like Paul said, look at a shop manual and see what is in your way!  Good Luck