Clutch problems

Started by Jeffrey Bruce, March 30, 2011, 01:52:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeffrey Bruce

I have a 1974 Penton Harescrambler 250cc, with a newer style clutch system. I have recently installed a new rod, cup bearings, and cable. On the clutch plates, I have about one and a half threads showing on each bolt. The clutch lever almost takes two hands to pull back and I don't have any play in the lever. When I adjust the cable to allow a little play, the clutch will not open enough. Any suggestions? Do I have the clutch carrier bolts to tight?

Thanks,

The Hammer

Kip Kern

Jeff

Take the clutch actuator off of the right case and see if it is worn inside or has a flat spot on it.  Find another one and switch it up and see if this cures the problem.  Don't forget to adjust the clutch arm on the actuator at the engine.  Proper throw will be between 42 and 45mm.  The handbook shows how to measure this properly.  The clutch is adjusted by various thickness of the pressure plates placed on the actual clutch basket.  Total length measurement of 2 rods and a 6mm ball is 222mm.  I am sure the later style is the same or very close to it.  Good Luck!  Any more questions, keep on writing, someone here can help!  CIAO

chicagojerry

cable routing is a big thing. make sure that you are not placing the cable into too much of a bind.one way to do this is just leave the cable dangling in mid air between the lever and the actuator on the motor.if it pulls much easier you know that routing is probably a factor. also, are you using a magura lever or an aftermarket? it makes a difference.   magura levers will pull more of the inner cable out from the outer sheath that jap levers will.  feel free to drop me a note at [email protected] or call my cell  440 213 5146
i race a couple of harescramblers pretty extensively and i have my clutchs working pretty well. good luck..    chijer

Jeffrey Bruce

This style actuator has the one rod and no ball bearing. Well, at least I believe it's not supposed to have a bearing.
Cable is brand new, and free from obstructions.
Cluthc lever is a Magura.
How do I determine how times to turn the clutch basket nuts?

G Ellis

Your new clutch activator was put on with out the right rod put in it. I run and work on these activators. I have parts for these and can help you. You can call me @217 260 0237. Later Gary

john durrill

Jeff,
 Run a search on POG . There have been many posts that go over what you are running into.
Kip has done a lot with posting measurements and info on how to do the clutch right on a KTM engine.
see below for one of his.

Start of copy.

kip kern
Advanced Member

USA
1641 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2006 :  07:12:19 AM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Reply with Quote
Mike The later single piece rod wit the bearings replaced the early two piece rods with 6mm ball. If you wish, you can swap units as long as you swap it as a package. The old style rods are 108mm long each and a 6mm ball goes between them for a total of 222mm. Once that is correct, you change the pressure plate thickness to allow for the actuator throw of 40-45mm. You can use different stacks of plates as KTM varied and noted in the shop manuals. Once you built the clutch pack up, you then had to get the throw corrected to match it so that is where the different thickness pressure plate came into play. I have about 5 different thicknesses for building clutches. The funny thing is, the shop manual and the part have the same P/N but doesn't specify thickness! Ted, I see what you are indicating but I was averaging/guessing that there weren't that many KTM 125's out there being used. The little engine that couldn't can't get out of it's own way unless you do some major changes to it so most don't race it. There are a few later 175's but the majority is 250 and 400's that I see. In about 100 engine rebuilds, I have seen 2 125's and possible 3 later 175's.
 end of copy.

hope this is some help.
john d.

Jeffrey Bruce

Well, looking at the manual, I have the right rod, but I am wondering if maybe I have the wrong clutch package.

xracer

hey jeff not to bust your balls but if you call gary he will help you out, really its only a phone call he is a great guy excellent mechinic and one hell of a fast rider later dave when in doubt gas it

Jeffrey Bruce

Will do X!
That is my plan. Been stuck at work and not near the bike. I will call Gary tomorrow.

Thanks guys!