Need pistons for KTM 495 2 stroke, any ideas?

Started by Olmy, December 12, 2000, 06:29:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Olmy

Hey guys I need to get a piston for my 83' KTM 495.  It can be years 81-84 as long as it is a 495.  On the top of the pistons will be the # 92.25 (original bore) # 92.50 (first overbore) # 92.75 (second overbore).  Let me know if you guys have any idea how to get one of these. Local dealer said they were unavailable from KTM.   THANKS !!
                              MIKE

Edited by - Olmy on 12/12/2000  6:30:21 PM

Larry Perkins

Those 495 and 420 pistons are hard to come by and usually expensive.  You might try LETKO cycles in Kansas City.  Their number is (816)334-0881.  Another good shot would be Barry Higgins at H&H KTM.  You can find him in the POG parts section.

Olmy

I've tried H&H and they are working on the getting me a piston.  However, my local dealer at holeshot racing in Akron, Oh told me they are unavailable from KTM.  I'm not sure if he just didn't want to deal with getting me the part or they are really unavailable.  

Well, There was a guy at Mid-Ohio last summer that had a new complete piston kit.  I wish I would have bought it when I found it.  Thought someone might have on laying around.    
THANKS for the info...

Paul Danik

Did you try the KTM message board or the 495 website?
Paul Danik

Olmy

Yeah, I talked to Simon from the 495 forum and he said I could get the stuff from the UK.  I am gonna try the states first and use overseas as a last resort.
Thanks
       Mike

Larry Perkins

Mike,

Stay after H&H.  Barry probably just has to dig through his stash.  Any luck at LETKO?

Olmy

Yeah, Larry actually I'm waiting on the good people at H&H to let me know if they can special order any Pistons.  They have already helped me out with a couple other items.  I have been mailing Patti and she said she is working on a special order for me.  
Hey Larry, by the way where you at the penton tent at Mid-Ohio last summer.  I think I met you and Al Buener.  I will contact LETCO if H&H can't come up with anything.  If LETCO can't get me the piston then I will have to try a place in the UK.
Thanks...
MIKE

Larry Perkins

Yes,

I was at Mid-Ohio and worked the tent.  I might have met you it is just hard to remember there were so many great people there.  If you go this next season look for The Penton Man booth in the swap meet area we plan to bring a lot of inventory and some Pentons to sell and as always some rocket Pentons to race.  Good luck on piston.  If you end up doing the UK thing let me know the source and how it went.

Olmy

Found original piston in England (Jim Aim's MC).  Had little luck in the US.  I did however find one in Texas that was the 1rst overbore (92.50).  The guy there had just bought an old mx business and found all kinds of old goodies.  The states had the rod kit stocked and was a much better price than in any other place.  The piston however was not as expensive as I had thought.

Mike Lenz

Mr Danik, What is the ktm message board and the 495 website? Thanks

Paul Danik

The KTM message board is located at
http://www.ktm-racetech.com./  and is
part of Holeshot Engineerings website. They are an Ohio based KTM dealer.
The KTM 495 website is located at
http://www.ktm495.co.uk/    This site is run by Super Hunky, Rick Sieman, or so I am told!!!  Hope this helps.  Paul Danik

Rocket

Just a little bragging here, my boy works for
Super Hunky at //www.off-road.com as their art director.  Lucky kid gets to ride the Baja races and other motorcycle stuff for a living.  My boys name is Kevin Gorzny, check the site out, they appreciate the hits.
Rocket

Olmy

On the ktm 495 website... It is awesome that is for sure.  However, I don't think it is run by Rick Siemen though there are pictures of him on the site.  An English gent named Simon has been the sole creator and moderator of the site.  It is quickly becoming popular.  I bet Rick Siemen wishes he started it.  Later for now...
Mike

Paul Danik

I am glad that someone has the correct facts!! Thanks for the heads up.
Paul