Pawn Stars

Started by joe novak, May 03, 2011, 07:18:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

joe novak

I just watched "PAWN STARS" on TV last night.  Someone needed to clean out their garage which was cluttered with a 1973 Husky 400.   The bike was mostly complete, engine turned over, and possibly in running condition.  Owners asks for $400.  Pawn shop gives him $125.  Then they convert it to a custom "Bobber" street bike which cost them over $8,000 to build.   Now they need to turn it over and make a profit.   I was hoping they would restore the Husky, which likely would have taken much less money to do, and sell it to someone who would appreciate it.    Joe

Kip Kern

I like to watch that show on occasion and see what comes in the shop.  I just get sick though when someone brings in some type of historical 100+ year old document and they take it out of the package and handle it with bare hands or take a priceless firearm out and shoot it (kinda stupid in my book).  Between that show and "Pickers", a lot of the good deals we were able to find are drying up all over the country. Oh well, all in the name of television:(

tomale

I have watched both of those shows and the more I watched the sicker I got. I agree Kip, what were they thinking shooting any Historic weapon Its like opening a 300 year old bottle of wine. [8] documents need to be preserved not man handled and sold off to whom ever will pay the most.

Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
76' 250 MC5 (orginal owner)
74'250 hare scrambler (project)
74' 1/2 440 maico
78' 440 maico
72' cr125 Husky (project)
74' TM125 suzuki
93' RMx 250 suzuki

Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

firstturn

Both of the shows are fun entertainment, but they lack the true world as Kip says handling papers and guns without gloves to protect history is over the top.  I have been picking since I was 12 years young and it is fun.  These shows sure make people think they have million dollar junk yards?[8D]

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Jeff D

On one of the American Pickers shows they picked up a Yankee in very restorable condition for only a couple hundred bucks!  I saw the promo for the Pawn Stars Husky show and was wondering what the outcome was.  IMO they ruined a classic bike.

Jeff DeBell
Jeff DeBell

papur709

Yep, they ruined a restorable Husky.  With close to 10 grand in the finished bike, I hope they get stuck with it for a long time

wfopete

Those show are a joke anyway. Face it, if you have something of value & want to get a good price for it, the last place to go would be a PS.

Pete Petrick
175 Jackpiner
Slow but Good
Pete Petrick
175 Jackpiner
Slow but Good

Jeff D

Yup, I asked my neighbor (who runs a pawn shop) if that show was anything like the real McCoy and he said it is so far from true that it's not funny.  The other pawn show based out of Detroit is even more of a joke...and yes, the absolute last place to try to sell something is at the pawn shop.  What a bunch of rip-off artists!

Jeff DeBell
Jeff DeBell