AHRMA NE Race Updates (Irish Valley, Allens Farm)

Started by tooclose racing, June 12, 2011, 06:25:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tooclose racing

Greetings Poggers from one heck of a busy racing season (to date) up here in the NE.  I'm taking a breather for a few weeks - and with a really sore shoulder (more, later...) the schedule break couldn't have come at a better time.

So...where to start.  First, with a replacement swingarm from Gary Ellis for my MC5 that showed up on Friday night before our the Irish Valley race weekend of May 21-22. See my Cato racing entry if you have no idea why I would mention the swingarm.  I actually didn't start mounting it until almost 8 pm, but this turned out to be a pretty straightforward operation.  Gary was also kind enough to send me that skinny wrench that you use to rotate each of the swingarm bushing/bearings outward.  Neat feature, neat installation.  Ellis applied his usual "pressure" when he called to confirm that the swingarm had arrived.  I told him everything I needed to do to get the MC5 ready and he said "shoot - that shouldn't take more than an hour and a half".  Well, at midnight, I turned off the garage lights with everything back together and the trailer loaded/ready.

Now normally I would be in a complete panic at this point about how much sleep I would NOT be getting, but Irish Valley - about 4 hours away near Bloomsburg PA-  was not going to start their XC race until 4 pm on Saturday (trials at Noon).  Nice!  I left about 8:30 next morning and pulled up about one pm.  With a smoking hot left-rear brake caliber/disc/alloy wheel. Geez!  What was I gonna do about this on a Saturday afternoon?  Got signed up/set up, disconnected the trailer, put the Mountaineer up on a jack, and pulled the rear wheel. Stared at the caliper, clueless.  And time for the XC race!  

So - how about a 36 rider sign-up for a regional XC race?!?  Not bad, huh?  3 Line start Ex, Int, Novice - I think we started 2 minutes apart.  18 guys riding intermediate, mostly PV like myself - on an unusual note, they actually scored historic bikes separate.  Billy Burns was present.  Remember the metallic Gray ex-Tom Brosius Penton 400?  A 50+ expert named Dave Hurley from New Jersey was riding it...and turned out to be very,very fast.  I actually grabbed the Intermediate lead after the half moto-lap followed by a right turn into the woods that the two guys in front of me totally blew.  Hah!  4 minutes later the joke was on me as I ran off track and stalled and 5 rider freight train behind me took off.  But the MC5 was really running like a top and the track/course was fantastic - tight back and forth thru the trees, hill-climbs (one that they considered removing but it ended up being fine), rocks, fields (that had neat back and forths laid out).  My laps were probably taking me about 20 minutes.  Now..after 3 laps I was kinda bummed. I had only caught 2 guys that had gotten by me, so I figured I was at best 4th and probably 5th overall Int.  Geez!  The Pennsylvania Mafia was putting a whooping on my ass.  Big Time.  But it was about to get a whole lot worse.  My bike started cutting out near the end of Lap 3.  And about 200 yards from the scoring tent, it stopped.  I was out of gas for chrissakes.  Zoom - there went Billy Burns on his Hodaka 175 to finish his 4th lap.  I  thought "we have got to be near the hour" - please give Billy the checkered".  I actually pushed - thru mud and wet field - for a hundred or so yards before I stopped and stared at my petcocks trying to remember if I had a reserve position.  I had just never, ever given it any thought.  Well - after probably losing 15-20 minutes of total time I was going again, pulled up to the tent, and got a white flag. You're kidding me!  We are way past the hour, right?  I knew I didn't have enough gas for a lap.  A really nice lady offered me Pre-Mix and I treated her like a total PUTZ when I asked her really slowly "Ma'am - are you sure this gas has oil mixed with it?  Does your rider have a two stroke or four stroke?"  She should have just beat me with the can at that point, but was nice and assured me it was pre-mix.  Off into the woods I headed and a final lap that I was admittedly taking it easy on.  And about 6 minutes later I fouled a plug on the first hillclimb.  I have NEVER fouled a plug on the MC5.  Maybe one on the Six Day.  I just couldn't believe my luck.  It was not meant to be that day.  10 minutes later the PA mafia (Dave Driver and Dan Horengic) came by for there LAP 5 at that point and I could only laugh at the drubbing I was about to take.  And it was easily another 60 minutes before I got back to my pits.  The "cleanup" guy came by, went back to my pit to fetch a plug, and I eventually got back to the pits with the sun setting.  By that time, EVERYBODY was showered and heading to the Free barb-b-q and beer and live music  shindig being thrown that evening by our NE AHRMA Most Excellent Leadership at the facilities pavilion/clubhouse.  Let me mention another wonderful feature that this Irish Valley MX facility had: hot showers.  Oh baby did they feel good after my experience.  And they had a bike wash hose with decent pressure!  So - washed bike, washed body, and now it was almost dark.  Remember the Mountaineer? I popped off the caliper bolts and hit everything with brake cleaner spray and then I hit what I perceived to be moving parts with WD.  In the distance I could already hear laughter in the distance, and the band covering the Allman Brothers.  F___ it, I thought, I want some beer and bbq.  So into the darkness I headed on my mountain bike to find the pavilion and enjoy some food and beer that just tasted marvelous.  Billy Burns had done 5 laps in 81 minutes, the next closest expert finished at 6 minutes behind him.  Tim Ferguson - a way fast guy, had finished 3rd in 94 minutes on his hi-pipe Elsinore.  Dave Hurley must have been top five overall, finishing 5 laps at 99 minutes.  The Mafiosi  Dave and Dan (my Intermediate competitors) had great rides and did their five laps in 99-101 minutes, respectively.  Me..well I realized that I HAD NOT topped off my MX tank, thank you very much, and paid the price.  Having said that, I really didn't think this race out at all.  I would not have made 5 laps (let's say an hour and half+) on my MX tank.  Hurley told me he topped off again at end of Lap 3 for his 400.  EVERYONE agreed it was a great, classic course that had been laid out and there was much praise for Organizers.  I could only quietly, humbly think "and I learned a great lesson about my MC5's MX gas tank capability."  BTW - I had finished a 1 hour plus race last fall - with a FULL tank to start.  But that race was just over an hour.  Hmmm...this was kindof a long one for AHRMA, huh?  Oh well...

About 45 minutes later, I came back, grabbed my Makita lithium-ion fired light source and put the wheel back together in the dark.  Dropped the jack, dropped my pop-up, and crawled into my car for the 15 minute ride to the hotel.  At the hotel, I reached down and touched the driver's side rear wheel.  Cool to the touch.  I got SOMETHING right today, huh?  

I passed out 5 minutes after my head hit the pillow.  Next morning - my birthday - the "laid out on the side of a huge hill" Irish Valley MX awaited me.  I couldn't wait.

I'll check back in a little later with The Motocross Files from Irish Valley and Allen's Farm. [8D]

tooclose racing

May 22.  I am now 54, I think to myself.  I look at the alarm clock in the hotel room...wow...8:30.  I never sleep till 8:30.  Rider sign-up starts at 8:30, races at 10, or something like that.  Did I mention that I was stiff as the Tin Man in the Wizard of Oz?

I check in with my wife on the way back up the into the hills outside of Paxinos, kinda "firming up" that I will be racing MX on Sunday.  Any of you guys guilty of this kinda behavior..."Uh no hon, I'll probably only race Saturday and be back Sunday by noon or so to help out with the (fill in the blank)".  Well...I go with the sob story about how much I spent getting there (tank of gas -$75) and the hotel room ($65) and then there will be ANOTHER tank of gas to get back -hey I might as get my "money's worth", right?  Silence on the other end of the phone and then my wife says "Honey..Happy Birthday!  Have fun today."  Of course I am immediately suspicious about such a response, but ultimately realize she is sincere.

All signed up, I look around and see the a bunch more bikes and riders have shown up for Sunday and the meeting confirms we have over 100 class entries for our regional race.  Bob Shoftstahl was there with his MC5, Dennis Foley brought his CZ (but had a beautiful alloy-tanked Mint with him), and another guy (Justin Meyers?) showed up to ride  - for the first time - an immaculate '79 MC6 250 (is that the correct model designation?).  Along with Hurley's 400 MC5, not a bad Penton/KTM representation.  

Practice reveals a track with THREE serious downhills and two climbs, a couple of table tops, and some other neat features. Its still wet in a couple of spots (it had rained a LOT recently - thank god we were on a hill), making it slippery at a couple of low points, but technical and FUN! Raced 50+ PV Int and 250 Hist Int.  The way the races were divided up it seemed like I was racing with the same guys in all four motos.  Burns brought his 250 Hodaka (Thunderdog?) to these shoot-outs and once again was the class of the field although there were some MX experts that raced him the whole time.  I just didn't start very well at this track, but got a couple of top 3 or 5 starts before the GP Maicos/Yamahas gobbled me up. For the Race 3 PV 50+, I scored 4-4 both motos, but since I watch EVERYONE, it felt more like 8th or 9th when ya counted experts and 40-somethings.  The FUN racing was in Race 6 250 Historic where I quickly realized that another Hodaka Thunderdog raced by Gary Gras was out in front of me after the start and probably first 250 assuming no one else had gotten away on the start.  I chased him down, followed him, and passed him next to last lap front straight and then just hugged the corners on the final lap for 1st 250 Hist Int (Burns had once again walked off with 250 Hist Ex AND overall in both Race 6 motos).  Bob Shoftstahl on the other MC5 was still shaking off his winter cobwebs, but had finished right behind the Gras's Hodaka.   So...I'm actually kinda confident about the 2nd 250 Hist race that afternoon, because I realize I have motor on Gras if it comes down to a horse race.  The gate drops for Race 6 2nd moto and..I totally botch the entry into the 1st right hander/immediate table-top.  I get it going, but realize some bikes  - I assume the usual GP bikes and Burns - have really gotten away fast.  I pin it and ride 5 mistake-free fairly fast laps (for my 4th race of the day) and I'm already practicing my acceptance speech on the last lap. But I'm also thinking "where is that Hot Rod Hodaka?"  I take the checkered, pull in to the pits...and Gary Gras is already getting off his Hodaka.  Damn it!  I shake my head, park and peel, and head over to shake this guy's hand.  You know how it works...1-2 and the other guy 2-1..he wins.  He never even saw me, but says that he was able to hang on to the Experts tail's long enough that they pulled him clear of me and the others after a couple of laps.  Wow.  Nice.

Shoftstahl pulls in and parks it and I tell him what happened. He looks over at Gras and his Hodaka - and I can't remember if it is him or me that comes up with "You know you got beat by a trailbike, right?"  

At the end of the day, I'm still pretty happy.  The MC5 ran well, I didn't bend a swingarm, and it was a fun course.  And I THINK my wife was sincere when she wished me a Happy Birthday that morning. Well..I had a 4 hour drive to think about that one.  I seek out Gras one more time to congrat him and he looks at me and smiles and says "you know you got beat by a trailbike, don't ya"?  Shoftstahl - he got me!

It was a great turn-out for a regional and everyone loved Irish Valley. And the promoter seemed to like us - rumor has it my region has decided to schedule a season-ending (October) round back at this facility.  

Okay...one more post and I'll be caught up.  Allen's Farm coming at ya real soon.

tofriedel

Bob,

Great report and good riding.  

The best thing that came out of your report is, "You are still learning".  Keep it up and bring home the gold next time.

Regards,

Tony
Tony

tofriedel

Bob,

Great report and good riding.  

The best thing that came out of your report is, "You are still learning".  Keep it up and bring home the gold next time.

Regards,

Tony
Tony

tooclose racing

So..remember I said "busy season", right?  Race beginning of May (Cato), then Irish Valley (5/21-5/22), and after a lovely Memorial Day weekend at our Tug Hill camp, it was off to the Hollow In The Hill, aka Allen's Farm, on Sunday morning June 5th.  I dragged my Wife and daughter along for good humor and support.  The "Hollow" reference is because only a Satellite phone works when you turn off the highway and head down to into one heck of a fun grass track.

Great turn-out again with 125+ class entries.  BMER also lets the Quads and a modern class run, which frankly gives us AHRMITEs a little more time to rest between races. Once again, just brought the MC5 to this sword fight.  A few North Atlantic guys showed up and most of the usual suspects.  Now I wish I had brought my camera because Dennis Foley had two bikes in the back of his truck.  The first was a really cool 72 Six Day, complete with a GEM reed valve/Bing AND the engine marked up with "Qualifier" paint markings.  The other bike was a spotless 1978 (79?) Montesa VB 360.  The Penton sold before lunchtime, not sure if he had a nibble on the Montesa.  Heck - I'd buy it just to stare at the tank.

The starting area was kinda wild - it consisted of a 75 yard (or so) run down a flat field to a 180 turn around a barrel and then back up the field until you transition into Allen's famous uphill/downhill hairpin.  What was smart/safe about this was that it spread out the field before heading up into the tricky hairpin.  And it was a blast drag-racing to the barrel with 20+ bikes in my classes.  I can proudly state that the worst (2nd gear on the MC) start I got put me about 5th to the barrel, the best had me 2nd or 3rd.  I raced 50+ PV and 250 Hist again.  The Skunk Works Hodakas were there again (Burns and my new racing buddy Gary Gras), and Bob Shofstahl was there also - but this time he brought a 7 speed Hercules 250 that he later compared to riding a small Sherman.  Loren Westcott brought his Husky 450 to do battle with the Vintage guys.  And the usual assortment of way too many Maicos.  CAUTION: rumor has it Billy Burns is building a GP or Ultima Maico.  Gawd, like he's not fast enough on his 175 and 250 "trailbikes".

My first 50+ PV moto was uneventful other than I may have gotten my best finish ever running in this potpouri class (5th or 6th overall).  The first 250 Hist moto was a classic, I got a great start and ran 4th up the hill behind Burns and a couple of big bores - 2 laps into it and I realize that Gras is a turn behind me on his Hodaka. 3 laps in and hes still in the same place. Smooth, smooth - no mistakes. Lap 4 and I look around to see he's still about the same distance.  I ride down a long hill towards a really low speed 180 "bowl".  And suddenly he is RIGHT THERE with the inside line. Kee-rist!! I'm so screwed.  He's past - I have to give him the line.  I stay right on him as we go up the hill, then back down into the lower field. Please screw up, please screw up - which he doesn't.  But there is one more small uphill slow speed (1st gear) 180-ish turn.  And he leaves it just open enough for me to - uh - well - kinda wedge myself between him and the barrel, or tire, or whatever.  We bump.  Not Chad Reed bump, but I definitely know at that point I am committed and I have to move a wee bit towards the outside to shut off his line. Oh this is soooo supercross I think, but I am able to take the advantage and get in front of him and gas it.  The MT16 hooks up and I am off and flooring it the rest of the way to the finish line.  Which happens to have this really cool jump (down into the woods) just in front of it  - and I'm airborne:

and finish in front of Gary.  I immediately slow down and apologize for the entry into the turn but he seems to have a pretty big smile on his face and gives me thumbs up.  We had finished 4th/5th overall and at the front of the 250 Historic.  I catch up with him later and he explains that he had decided to go all out on the downhill where he caught me (I must have been taking picutres or something)and just barely made the corner!  Wow.

Christine and Tegan seem to be enjoying the show, but the track was getting rougher - the Quads probably didn't help.

If I hadn't mentioned it - with the exception of one moto DNF, Bill The Burns was whuppin' everyone again. Amazing - even the guys on Open Honda Red Rockets and Maico 490s could not beat him.

The second 50+ PV moto saw me again running up front, but this time Mr. Gras was in front of me.  I had originally told myself to just put in the laps and take it easy in this moto (the 2nd 250 Hist was the "money" race in my mind), but I couldn't help myself and glued myself to Gary's tail.  Maybe a little too close....on Lap 3 I went down HARD in a fast switchback as my front end washed out and I landed on my right shoulder.  Kept the bike running, but immediately thought "this is gonna hurt".  Its a week later and it still does.  I got going right away and probably ran at 3/4 pace for the last two laps.  When I pulled in, I pointed to my shoulder and Christine and Tegan took the bike.  They knew something had happened.  I got out of my gear, fell into my chair and had Christine fill a bag with ice and put it on my shoulder and then throw a sweatshirt and towel over me to keep me warm.  A shout over to a fellow racer (Foley) resulted in his wife showing up with a 600 mg Ibuprofen.  I swallowed that and kept myself completely still for 45 minutes.  10 minutes before my second moto I climbed on my mountain bike and pedaled around a bit to make sure everything was working. And then it was time for Moto 2.  The Irish Valley moto 2 was positively haunting me. And Gary was really showing speed here.  I focused on the rubber band like it was life and death and dropped the clutch when it snapped.  And just possibly got my best start of the day, 3rd to the barrel, 3rd up the hill and into the hairpin.  Heck - I was following Burns!  Not for long mind you, but I relished the moment for a few turns of the course.  Did I mention the course was now really rough now?  Well it was, but I stayed focused and tried to go smart-fast, rolling thru some turns and doin' the point and shoot on others.  And that downhill that Gras had blazed down?  Well, I realized that I had better go a whole lot faster down that too.  NOTE: my WP shocks, lovely in the woods thank you, really suffer once it turns to hard chop. I look pretty smooth here though, huh:?

I kept looking back for Gras.  He entered my radar scan on Lap 2.  But he was easily a hundred or more yards back and stuck behind a Kawi.  Lap 3 and the distance stayed the same. Lap 4 and...OMG...the distance may have increased.  I had to let a GP Maico go by that was on my ass, but that was it.  Lap 5 and I got the checkered.  Gary later told me he had gotten a bad start and paid the price, getting stuck behind some guys that had motor on him.  But my hat is still off to Gary Gras - he rode 6 motos that day!!

My beautiful wife and daughter helped me (actually did most of the work) in breaking down and loading up.  I could lift NOTHING with my right arm.  Except the two first place plaques I picked up for +50 PV Int and 250 Historic.  My wife later found the perfect location for them - out in the garage when we got home.  

That's it - end of report.  Thank you for letting me share!  :)