Dane Leimbach

Started by Jack Penton, June 23, 2011, 05:17:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeff greenberg

Dane- you have touched all our lives. We are praying for you buddy.
Jeff

taxman

Here is a shortcut to some info on a steak fry benefit for Dane. The date is August 6 at Amherst Meadowlarks. Thanks http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=138615436214435

Jim
Jim

joe novak

Dane is a fine person; he has always been helpful and pleasant, and an inspiration to me as a racer on his Penton Berkshire.   "I could catch him, but never pass him."   Joe  p.s. Thank you, Brian, for posting the great photos of Dane and yourself....

sixdazed

This is devastating news.Dane,you are a true Hero and you'll be in my thoughts and prayers.
                            Ric

ric emmal
Ric Emmal
Pentons Rule!
5 125 steel tankers
10 cmf 100/125
2 Mettco 125
1 Penda
2 jackpiners
2 harescramblers
5 Herc 7 speeds
1 Tyran 125
1 Ktm150xc
1 Honda crf450x
1 Honda sl70
1 Hon cr125 77
1 Yam pw80
2 Yam yz125d
1 Suz pe 175
1 Suz rm85
1 Mz250
3 Sachs/dkw 125
1 Hon cb700sc
1 Aprillia RC50
Most in progress..                      so many projects-so little time...

Mike Burgess

Dane was and still is a Hero to me. Dane made me feel like family to him when i was just a young kid running the roads with my father. Dane, My thoughts and prayers are with you, your family and the entire Penton family. I can only ask the Lord to help Dane and his entire family during these most trying of times. Thanks Jack for the update and please keep us informed.

Lloyd Boland

Dane, although we have never met, you and your family will be in our prayers.  Living on the West coast, I don't personally know many of the POG family members, but being a regular on this site for the past many years, I have gotten to know many of you and consider all POG members part of this rare family.  God bless you for all you have done and all of the people you have touched.  

Lloyd Boland

pakala

Can't make to the Benefit for Dane, but would like to paypal some funds to the steak BBQ event. Need a paypal email address.
     Thanks, Paul(socal)

brian kirby

Quotequote:Originally posted by joe novak

p.s. Thank you, Brian, for posting the great photos of Dane and yourself....

No problem. That is one of those things where you dont realize how special the moment was until years later.

Brian
Brian

marsattacks

I have only met Dane once -- at the Ohio RR two years ago.  But I have carefully read many of his posts (many of which I saw as a result of search results).  Purely from this perspective -- and not from the benefit that many of you have of knowing Dane as a person -- it is obvious that Dane has an incredible fund of technical expertise matched to an amazing practical outlook.  He has shared, in his posts, details that would be llike having one of Apple's top design enginers sit with you to explain how to use your Ipod.  How often could any manufacturer hope to encounter such technical expertise and precision of thought combined with world-class riding ability?  He truly is a remarkable person.  Anyway I apologize for not expressing myself clearly enough but would like Dane and his family and friends to know that there are many people who have benefited from his insight and generosity that cannot be counted simply by reviewing posts on this or any forum. Best, John
Mars Attacks!
68 Planetary/Lunar Lander (very sadly, sold with Gamma death-ray to the Italians)
78 400 MC5 also sadly sold
79 space rock shox bike

Jeff D

Agreed that Dane was/is the "techie" of the bunch and always ready to share his wealth of knowledge with anyone with no expectation of anything in return but a thank you.  He watched me struggling for a moment or two with a tire change at one of the Reunion Rides and then calmly talked me through it like a true coach would, and had as much satisfaction from seeing me successfully complete the job as if he'd done it himself (although he would have done it in much less time!) One never knows the right things to say at moments like this, but suffice it to say that Dane (and the Penton family) will have the prayers of the entire POG family with them, mine included.

Jeff DeBell
Jeff DeBell

ALB

I first met Dane in June of 1997 at his farm on a Saturday morning. I believe that it was Jack that provided me with his phone number so that I could call and make the appointment to visit him. The purpose of my visit was to see if he would loan me his ISDT medals so that I could frame them up and use them in a "Penton" display that I was planning for the AMA Vintage Days event at Mid-Ohio. He had some boxes on his picnic table in the back yard when I arrived. Each box was like an archeological dig with each layer that he pulled out representing one of the ISDT events he participated in. Each layer contained rider maps, directional arrows, banners, meal tickets, etc. What struck me was how well organized he was. Even though all those things were in boxes, they were in precise order and he knew where everything was and everything was carefully placed back in order after he was done showing me what he had. When I told him that the only interest that I had of his ISDT items were his medals, he went into his barn and brought out a home made wooden box with a glass lid. After wiping some of the dust off of the glass, I could see his ISDT medals carefully arranged inside. He removed those medals from the box and placed them in my hands. I can't describe the honor that I felt to be trusted with his medals and it was a wonderful feeling to have his framed medals decorating the Penton display at Mid-Ohio that year. I am sure that those framed medal are now decorating a wall in his house rather than sitting on a shelf in a barn.

During our early meetings of the Penton Owners Group there would be a round of discussions about trying to remember something about the Penton motorcycles. Dane would typically sit and listen to what was being said and when the "dust had settled" he would finally talk about the topic. What he had to say was almost always accurate, setting everyone straight. As John mentioned in his post, Dane is very technical with a wealth of knowledge that he is always willing to share to help someone out.

It has been hard for me and the other POG members to be witnessing Dane's decline in health the past couple of years. My prayers go out to him and his family members.

Alan Buehner
Alan Buehner

rfpotter

I have not had the good fortune to met Dane, but the descriptions of him from people who have, tell you all you need to know.

Dane, you are in our prayers and best wishes and hopes to you.

Patrick Houston
Tennessee

firstturn

Jeff D,
  Thanks for recounting the tire lesson.  I was standing there when Dane told you that you had gone too far with the tire iron and had put a hole in the tube.  He was right as usual.  He used to turn the tire around at the MX track just to have people ask why?  I have some great memories with Dane that will always stay with me.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

brian kirby

Jeff's story dovetails into Al's story of Dane's attention to detail. The two pictures before the ones I put up before are here:

I took the checkered flag and was showing off doing a wheelie. Look at Dane in the foreground, he is excited because he realizes the REAL finish is the transponder timing sensor which you can see to the right. I was so busy basking in my glorious win I was not even paying attention to the sensor, he was waving at me to get my butt over there and stop goofing off!! That is how into racing he was, and that came from years of being around it, its what you call "racecraft". I wont say he was aggravated with me, thats too strong a word, but he did kid me about it a little, which I deserved.

Its one of those little things that seemed insignificant at the time, but I will always remember it and smile.

Brian
Brian

Mike Lenz

Dane is one of the nicest people of the whole Penton group.  I hate to hear this.  About all I can say is, Dane, you have a great heart and your next life will be better than this one. Hang in there.
Mike Lenz