125 engine case stamp/year?

Started by Scott Summey, September 01, 2011, 06:03:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott Summey

Totally new to the Vintage off road arena so pardon my ignorance but what I believed to of purchased was a 72 CMF Six Day (frame numbers match)  from one of the POG members. This is my first Penton and first two stroke dirt bike. While sorting it out I noticed that it had been apparently upgraded with a Motoplate ignition. Once running and shifting through the gears lo and behold it turned out to be a six speed. To me this story is getting better all the time.

Today while putting in a new clutch cable (thanks Al) I noticed the number 74 stamped on both bottom cases. My Question, is it customary for Sachs engines to be stamped on the bottom cases with the year model?

Also I hope to use this bike later this fall/winter to make an attempt at vintage racing. Any suggestions on set up would be appreciated. Thanks.
Scott Summey
Jacksonville, Florida

brian kirby

A '72 could have had points and a 5 speed or Motoplat and a 6 speed depending on when in the year it was made. My '72 100 is a 6 speed with a Motoplat, but I replaced it with a PVL.

Brian
Brian

Lew Mayer

I don't think it is a year stamp but a stamp to show the case halves are matched.

Lew Mayer
Lew Mayer

Ernie Phillips

Scott,  Welcome to the POG.

Race set-up:  A stock Sachs motor is plenty powerful.  Focus on getting the carb spot-on and learn how to shift.  A new needle/needle jet is a good idea.  The Sachs motor has good mid-range but won't lug like a SL125 so having clean carburetion is a must.  The early Motoplat is not too reliable ... a PVL might be in your future.  If you are serious about racing go ahead and get the PVL and forget about ever having a dead ignition.   Then, spend your extra money on quality shocks and good tires.   Since you are new to two-strokes, you might want to run lower gearing until you get used to the power band.   13/60 is a good ratio.   I prefer o-ring chains, EK 428-132 links.  Use the chain guide block for early Jackpiner.  And don't forget, "You don't breed race horses at the race track."  (ie.  Don't be a dummy - - sort your bike out at home – R. Carbaugh to EP circa 2007)

Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN
Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN

Scott Summey

Ernie,Lew Brian,

Thank you for the info on the bike. I've been working on the carb and have put everything back to stock specs to get a baseline. Most of the other work has been replacement of all cables and fluids, kill switch  and a good general cleaning and painting of the frame. I put a basic set of Progressives on for now and just picked up new sprockets from Al. I also have acquired a spare set of wheels and plan to put together some alloys when I have some time.

72 Six Day
Jax, FL
Scott Summey
Jacksonville, Florida