An easy enduro?

Started by CWilson, September 19, 2011, 08:05:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CWilson

Hello all,
Do any organizations run enduros for riders with no enduro experience?  Are any held in the midwest?  I would like to try riding one with my Penton but I have zero time keeping experience and no idea what to expect.  Thanks in advance!

Craig Wilson
Craig Wilson

Kip Kern

Craig

Ride one of the ISDTRR events.  Nice trails, no major timekeeping and everyone there will help if needed.  You couldn't find nicer folks at these events! Beginner or Pro, it doesn't matter.;)

3putt

Craig,  You have mail.   Nelson McCullough

Paul Danik

Craig,

I know of a number of folks who rode their first few enduros just watching the numbers of the other riders. If they were passing earlier numbers they knew to slow down, if they were getting past by later numbers they knew to speed up.  This method won't win you any events, but it will allow you to ride and have fun while getting a taste of what is involved in time keeping. I always loved enduros, lots of seat time and something new around every turn.

Be forewarned that no all advice given by spectators at creek crossings and mud holes is always in your best interest:) Lots of times the time you waste watching someone else find the best line is time well spent.

Good luck and have fun.
Paul

Jeff D

Just go ride at your pace and have fun.  Forget about the timekeeping and just enjoy the ride.  Come in late to a check?  Who cares?  Burn a check early?  So what?  Back in the "olden days" we used to run enduros at a straight 24mph time average, so basically all you needed was a watch and a route sheet to know where you were supposed to be.  Now they have all these resets and time changes and you need a computer just to keep it all straight.  Last enduro I rode I arrived late to registration, paid my fee, hopped on the bike and just rode for fun.  Pretty soon I was passing guys in the woods sitting on the side of the trail waiting for their computer time resets to tell them to ride again.  Burned the checks but I didn't care.  I went to ride, not sit on the side of the trail.  By the end of the day I was up near the front of the pack.  Didn't win a trophy, wasn't trying to.  Had a nice, uninterrupted trail ride, got a good workout and enjoyed myself in the woods on two wheels.  Does it get any better?
My advice, go ride, forget the timekeeping, and have fun on your Penton!

Jeff DeBell
Jeff DeBell

Mick Milakovic

Before going forth blindly, it would be a good idea to ask some questions of people who live in the are of which you wish to ride.  Case in point:  if your first ride would have been the ISDTRR qualifier at Combs a couple of years ago when the bridge washed out, then you may never do another!  that was one tough ride, at any pace.

Mick
Mick

454MRW

Where do you live? There is a fun ride coming up in McArthur OH. October 8-9 that I am hoping to attend this time.Mike
http://www.enduroriders.com/2011babyburrflyer.html

Michael R. Winter
I enjoy rebuilding and appreciating Pentons!
1974 250 HS Pentons-1980 KTM 175-400'S
1975 Can Am 175 TNT & 77 250 Black Widow
1979 Husqvarna OR250 & OR390
1976-78 RM & 77-79 PE Suzuki's
1974 CR250M 07 CR125R
Michael R. Winter
I enjoy rebuilding and appreciating Pentons!
1976 Penton MC5 400
1977 KTM MC5 125
1978 KTM 78 GS6 250
L78-79 MX6 175-250 KTM\\\'s
1976-78 125-400 RM\\\'s
2007 CR125R Honda
1977 MC250 Maico
2017 KTM Freeride 250R

CWilson

A big thank you for all the input guys.  All of my dirt riding efforts during the last few years have revolved around vintage and post-vintage motocross racing.  The adrenaline rush of heading for the first turn and passing someone on a 250 or open class bike with  my Yamaha YZ 100 is indeed exciting!  But so is riding a Hare scramble on my Penton!  Years ago, all I did was trail ride and thoroughly enjoyed myself. Now I want to enjoy that again and feel an "easy" enduro would be great.  I am not interested in battering my bike or body on an insane hillclimb, or downhill run for that matter!  The thought of knee-deep mud or a banzai water crossing do not appeal to me either.  An enduro like the ISDTRR sounds interesting...if the weather doesn't foul things up!  It's time to add some saddle time in the woods to my saddle time on the mx track!  I will consider participating in this year's ISDTRR.  Thanks again guys!

Craig Wilson
Craig Wilson