Dane Leimbach

Started by Kelly Bland, October 08, 2011, 10:45:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

swamp fox

Godspeed Dane. It was my utmost pleasure to have met you at VMD, and for that I am greatful.

God bless the Leimbach and Penton families, you are in our thoughts and prayers.

Robert Manucy
72 Berkshire
72 Six Day
82 Honda cr250r
04 BMW K 1200 GT - KIA in N. Ga. - 32987 smiles
08 BMW K 1200 S
Robert Manucy
72 Berkshire
72 Six Day
82 Honda cr250r
04 BMW K 1200 GT - KIA in N. Ga. - 32987 smiles
08 BMW K 1200 S
17 Ktm 300 Six Day (50th Aniversary) ;)

marsattacks

This is very sad news.  An inescapable consequence of human mortality is that we must leave behind, and be left behind by, our friends, colleagues and loved ones.  It always has seemed a shame to me that such a remarkable concentration of skill and wisdom, so carefully amassed and honed in one such as Dane, is partly lost to the world.  The enduring beauty of writing is that some vestige of one's knowledge and identity, unavoidably incomplete, can be left to betoken what one has accomplished in his allotted time.  If you take a moment to search for Dane's posts on this board, the members and doings of which he clearly held dear, I think that you will find, as I have done, that Dane's fundamental spirit and concern for others continues to shine brightly through.
Mars Attacks!
68 Planetary/Lunar Lander (very sadly, sold with Gamma death-ray to the Italians)
78 400 MC5 also sadly sold
79 space rock shox bike

hanksie

Godspeed Dane,Our thoughts & prayers to the family, Bill & Michelle Hanks

JCHubbard

Quotequote:Originally posted by OhioTed

And now, his race is run,
His Six-Days are done,
Beloved father, beloved son.

Challengers in his sport, equals in his vocation few of peer,
Yet associates and friends, many, many held him dear.

A champion, a student, a teacher, he taught us all,
His strength, his courage, never did they fall.

May he now find peace, may he rest,
His heart having withstood every measure, every test.

Gone now from our lives we all shall grieve for him as one,
Beloved father, beloved son.

Mine is a better soul for having known you, Dane.  RIP

Ted Guthrie

That was beautiful Ted.  

My sincerest condolences to his family.

Respectfully,

John Hubbard
JC Hubbard

rob w

Will the services be kept private. If not, will you post the arrangement details here ? Thank you, Bob

Robbie

My mom and I are trying to find the services and funeral arrangements,
but with no luck either.

Has anyone heard anything?

RIP Dane... The Leimbach family is in the Bush family thoughts and prayers.
Hopefully Dane is up there ripping up the trails with my dad.
They sure have a good crew up there.

chicagojerry

i live here locally and it has not been published as of yet in either of the two local papers, including the online sections. i will keep an eye out for any news.    chi jer

hankthecrank

Hey Robbie. I am sure that is some reunion! Two very fine men getting together again. Ya'll take care.

Hank Rinehart
Hank Rinehart

Paul Danik

The initial word was that there would be a memorial service held after Thanksgiving, unconfirmed at this time is that there will be a memorial service on Sat. Nov. 26.

Confirmation, and additionial information should be posted shortly.

Paul

tomale

I have been following this tread because of my great respect for Dane and prayed for him on a regular basis. I read  of his Passing several days ago but frankly, I have been in shock and I did not know what to say. I still do not know what to say but  please extend my condolences to the family and all of his loved ones. At times there seems to be no apparent reason for the passing of someone so loved, all I know is that the rain falls on the Just and unjust and that God loves us all. living in the Northwest, it makes days like this even more difficult because I can do so little, I would love to send a card if that is permitted. Know this too, I am praying for the whole family that The God of all comfort, comfort them and give them grace and peace in this time of morning.

Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
76' 250 MC5 (orginal owner)
74'250 hare scrambler (project)
74' 1/2 440 maico
78' 440 maico
72' cr125 Husky (project)
93' RMx 250 suzuki

Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

Kelly Bland

Thank you for all of your kind words,stories and prayers. It is nice knowing that he touch so many lives in such a positive way. He will be missed by many.

Kelly Bland

Danes obituary is posted in the Lorain Journal and the Chronicle Telegram today. His service will not be private.

Kelly Bland

Dane Penton Leimbach, 60, of Vermilion, died Wednesday, November 16, 2011 at New Life hospice in Lorain, following an 18 month illness with A.L.S. (Lou Gehrig's disease). Mr. Leimbach was born in Lorain, graduated from Firelands High School in 1970 and attended Wilmington College.He was co-owner of Penton Racing Products in Amherst. An avid motorcyclist all his life, he excelled in the off-road endurance sport, achieving both national and international acclaim during the 1960s and 70s. For seven consecutive years, he won a place on the United States team competing in the International Six Days Trials in Europe winning six gold medals and a bronze. In addition to his own racing experience, he often worked national races as a pit crew member for the Kawasaki Team Green racing team.

One of the special joys of his middle life was traveling to races with his son, Paul, who was also an accomplished racer. Dane was a member of the Brownhelm United Church of Christ, served as a member and officer of Amherst Meadowlarks Motorcycle Club, and the Penton Owners Group.

In addition to his family and his sport, Dane enjoyed the family farm in Brownhelm Township, where he lived out his life, and where he served 16 years as a township trustee.

Dane is survived by his four children, Kelly Bland of Vermilion, Sarah of Lakewood, Liesel of Amherst, and Paul of Amherst; grandchildren, Michayla and Riley; his mother, Pat Leimbach; and his brother, Orrin.

He was preceded in death by his father, Paul; and his brother, Ted.

A memorial will be held Saturday, November 26, 2011, at the Brownhelm Congregational Church, 2144 North Ridge Rd, Vermilion, with calling hours from 1 to 4:30 P.M., followed by the service at 5 P.M.

The family asks that in lieu of flowers, donations be made to the ALS Association, Development Dept., 27001 Agoura Rd. Suite 250, Calabasas Hills, CA 91301

Daniel P. McEntee

Would just like to add my condolences, thoughts and prayers for Mr. Dane Leimbech and his family. There is not much you can say about loosing some one of his stature. I got started in dirt bikes like most of you guys with a small bore Japanese bike, but my second bike was a Penton 100 square barrel, and then a 1972 125 6-Days. It's not often mentioned but back in the day, enduros started by engine displacement with the 100cc class riders going off the line in the early minutes, and guys like Dane Leimbech were a great source of inspiration for us "regular guys" to get out there and break the trail. When I got back into motorcycles with this vintage thing, i was having troubles with a Husky shearing flywheel keys, and Dane Leimbech contacted me through the VINDURO list with the source of the problem and how to rectify it. I had the pleasure and honor of sort of repaying him at a later ISDT Reunion Ride banquet by providing him with an extra banquet ticket that I would not be using. I'm going to go out to the garage an pull out the old Penton Banner that I have been collecting 6-Days vets autographs on, and see if I had Mr. Leimbech sign it. I haven't had it out it a while and can't remember, but I sure hope it's there with the rest of the Penton gang.
  With Deepest Sympathies,
   Daniel P. McEntee
    and Family
   Florissant, MO

kenbike

My prayers are out to Dane and his Family.  He was a great man and we all will miss him.