Dane Leimbach

Started by Kelly Bland, October 08, 2011, 10:45:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kelly Bland

Just updating everyone on our dads condition. On Thursday he was admitted to the Hospice center in Lorain. He is having difficutly breathing as well as the swallowing has gotten much worse. He wishes to go home, so the medical equipment was sent up at his moms house. Today we are bringing him home. His condition (ALS) has gotten much worse over the past month or so. Please keep him in your thoughts and prayers. Thank you, Kelly

Lloyd Boland

Kelly, thank you for the post and the update on your dad.  Our prayers will be with him.
Lloyd

jimpal

Kelly,
Never had the blessing of meeting your dad, but feel like I know him from all the pictures I have seen and all the messages he has posted and all the stories I have heard about him. The Lord has greatly blessed your family by giving you a loved one that will leave a wonderful legacy. You can know about a persons integrity and character and love for others by the the number of folks who love them. He has a great multitude. Please know we are praying for your family and for him. May the God of all comfort give you in great measure what only He can give!
                                                          Jim

Jim
1972 Jackpiner
1974 Hodaka Dirt Squirt

Big Mac

Please let Dane know that all of us who have ever met or got to know him are thinking about him and all your family in this difficult time. Dane is a good man and has been a tremendous friend and asset to the cycle community for decades.

Jon McLean
Lake Grove, OR
Jon McLean
Lake Grove, OR

Paul Danik

Kelly,

Please take comfort in the fact that your dad is one of the most admired, respected and loved folks in the motorcycling community. I am sure that the folks that Dane has been associated with in the other areas of his life also have these same feelings for him, he is just that type of person.

I just have to tell this little story about Dane. Anyone who has ever been around Dane when a problem came up knows how he instantly goes into full "solve this problem" mode until the problem is solved. You can almost see his mind working as he analyzes the situation and evaluates the possible ways to solve the problem.

At the ISDTRR banquet a few years back the awards presenter, Jeff DeBell, was having a problem getting the Bud Ekins Pioneer Award
out of it's shipping box to present it. Jeff needed a screw driver, but in the middle of a banquet who would possibly have a screw driver?  Dane instantly made his way to the stage and dug out his ever present Swiss Army knife type of tool from his pocket and removed the screws for Jeff. As Dane was starting to return to his seat, Jeff asked him to hang on a minute.  Unbeknown est to Dane, he was the recipient of the Bud Ekins Pioneer Award that year, the highest award presented at the ISDTRR banquet. Everyone had quite a laugh over that deal, but it was typical Dane, solving a problem for someone else, and being recognized for his outstanding contributions to the sport he loved dearly and helped to shape.

Paul

Kip Kern

God Bless you Dane, I can't thank you enough for the friendship and kindness over the years or the help you have given me restoring these bikes especially the "one off" prototypes.  Whenever there was any question, I could always count on you for sound advice.  I only wished I lived closer so that I could help out more. You are in our prayers friend.

tomale

thank you for the up date.. I have had a few dealings with your Dad over the last 9 years and have always found him to be the best.. I am praying for your whole family in these hard times, may the peace of God be with you all..

Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
76' 250 MC5 (orginal owner)
74'250 hare scrambler (project)
74' 1/2 440 maico
78' 440 maico
72' cr125 Husky (project)
93' RMx 250 suzuki

Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

Kelly Bland

Dad came home (to his moms) on Saturday. The weekend started out rough for everyone involved. Lot's to get used to and he of course is isn't very much into "change". He was able to go to church on Sunday which made his day. Every day is something new. Today he was told that he is no longer able to drive well he sure didn't like that. But that's what the Doctor ordered and we all agree. He is looking forward to getting out a bit this week and maybe even the zoo this weekend. Kelly

Dwight Rudder

Damn.................:(   Dane and I have been friends ever since I rode my first ISDT Qualifier back in 1975.  He and Teddy befriended me and I have considered myself a close friend ever since.  Let him know that Dwight & Debbie Rudder are thinking about him. I know he can't talk or I would be calling.

paul a. busick

Kelly,
 I have always considered Dane to be one of my best friends.  He was there for me anytime I had a problem.  I have looked up to him as a top notch rider, mechanic, machinst and just plain doer.  I can only pray that he knows how much he has meant to all of us who personaly know him and to those that have been involved with him in the industry. The offroad motorcycle community would certainly be much differnt had he not been involved in it.  
 My thoughts and prays go out to Dane and his family.
 Amherst Paul  

bobrush

Kelly,
I have known your Dad for many years. I know his journey is tough right now and he is in our daily prayers. He is a great enduro/trials rider as well a great motorcycle technician and friend. We worked together at R&D on Elyria Ave. in Lorain during the Penton heydays. I rebuilt engines that dealers returned and Dane was working in the Machine shop with Uncle Ted and taking care of the Motoplat business. The motorcycle industry will not be the same.
God Bless!!
Bob Rush

Randy Kirkbride

Back in 'The Day', it was always great to see Dane put that little Berkshire through the paces. He was a great rider. Although softspoken, he let his riding speak for him. He was always eager to help others. I consider Dane a good friend and I offer my support during these difficult times.

sixdazed

Dane has been a Hero of mine since the 100 days.Great rider,technician,and a nice guy to boot.God Bless,Dane.
                                                       Ric
Ric Emmal
Pentons Rule!
5 125 steel tankers
10 cmf 100/125
2 Mettco 125
1 Penda
2 jackpiners
2 harescramblers
5 Herc 7 speeds
1 Tyran 125
1 Ktm150xc
1 Honda crf450x
1 Honda sl70
1 Hon cr125 77
1 Yam pw80
2 Yam yz125d
1 Suz pe 175
1 Suz rm85
1 Mz250
3 Sachs/dkw 125
1 Hon cb700sc
1 Aprillia RC50
Most in progress..                      so many projects-so little time...

swamp fox

Our thoughts and prayers to Dane and the rest of the family. It was a privilege and honor to have met him at VMD. We wish you and the whole Penton family the best.

Robert Manucy
72 Berkshire
72 Six Day
82 Honda cr250r
04 BMW K 1200 GT - KIA in N. Ga. - 32987 smiles
08 BMW K 1200 S
Robert Manucy
72 Berkshire
72 Six Day
82 Honda cr250r
04 BMW K 1200 GT - KIA in N. Ga. - 32987 smiles
08 BMW K 1200 S
17 Ktm 300 Six Day (50th Aniversary) ;)

ALB

Kelly,

The first time that I met Dane was in the spring of 1997 at the farm house. The purpose of my meeting him was to obtain his ISDT medals, to have them framed up for a display that I was putting together for Mid-Ohio. When I got there, he had 2 cartons of ISDT memorabilia on the back picnic table. After showing me what was in each box from all of the ISDT events that he was at, he went into the barn and brought out a home made wooden box with a glass top. Inside it were his ISDT and qualifier medals. I thought it kind of strange that he kept them in the barn but at least he took the time to put them in his own "show case". He unselfishly allowed me (a complete stranger) to take those medals home with me and I had my sister professionally mount and frame them. I hope that they will always be prominently displayed in a family home.

Dane is also a charter member of the Penton Owners Group. When we were working on trying to put together the first newsletter, Dane volunteered to help out by writing an article about himself for the first "member profile".

As the years have gone by, I have gotten to know Dane through the POG monthly meetings and some of the events that the POG has been involved with. He is a quiet kind of guy who jumps right in to help out with getting things done when help is needed, without having to be asked.

Seeing Dane's condition deteriorating the past couple of years has been hard for me to witness. I am grateful to him for sticking it out and attending the POG functions for he is truly one of the POG family.

Dane and his family are in my prayers.

Alan Buehner
Alan Buehner