Trying to ID a 70's ? KTM

Started by Chief, April 28, 2002, 02:47:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chief

A friend gave me an old KTM but didn't know much about it since someone gave it to him years ago.  It has an orange frame, enduro-style exhaust with chrome tip, multiple holes on swingarm for lower shock mount, straight Ceriani forks, i.e. not leading axle.  Found the following # on engine: 4-55000832 and on frame: 54411-79199.  The tank, sidecovers and fenders are all aftermarket plastic & doesn't give any clues.  Any ideas what year & engine size?

Andy

Hello Chief.

I just posted a similar problem myself and was told by a fellow rider that the first three numbers on the steering head will tell you the year and month of manufacture 4 =74 01 = January etc.  I hope this helps.

Andy

Rocket

Chief
I would say that it is a 1975 400.  It was made in November of 74 and the 55 on the engine indicates that it is a 400.
Rocket

Chief

Thanks Guys.  When I get caught up on some of my other projects I'll dig into it and see if it's worth restoring.  The engine turns over and seems to have good compression and it looks pretty solid mechanically.  Unfortunately, the poor thing has sat outside for a long time and the tank/fender/side cover plastic and the seat are in in pretty bad shape.