Six Day bing issue

Started by Scott Summey, December 20, 2011, 12:49:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott Summey

As the story goes. Rebuilt carb 27.5mm W/new jets and needle (from bing), set air and idle, starts first/second kick idles fine. Runs down the street well, and has been working just fine for the past 2 months.

Today on the maiden voyage to the trails wouldn't kick start acted like it was flooded (bump started) rode down the dirt road and back to truck (stalled) wont restart (bumped again) rode fine, again no idle. Re-set air and idle screw and is now stuck on a high idle and will not come down no matter where the idle screw is set. While running engine is strong through all the gears. Checked air/gas and spark.

Before I tear blindly into the carb for the millionth time, I would solicit suggestions. Thanks

Scott
Jacksonville, Florida

72 Six Day
Jax, FL
Scott Summey
Jacksonville, Florida

KJDonovan

Scott,
When you open and close the throttle, can you hear the slide hitting the bottom of the carb?  If not, make sure the slide is not stuck and if it is not, adjust the cable till you can hear the slide coming in contact with the bottom of the carb when you release it.

Kevin.

Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
72 Jack Piner (My Ride)
72 Six Day (Wifes Ride)
73 Yamaha AT3
71 Suzuki TS125 (Project)
Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
72 Jack Piner
72 Six Day
73 Hare Scrambler
74 Hare Scrambler
74 Mint

Randy Kirkbride

Air leak??? Crank seal???

Scott Summey

Thanks Kevin, I was thinking that the slide was the possible culprit, although it is amazing that it was great for so long and it just sticks all of a sudden. I'll check it out and see. Thanks for the quick response.

Scott

72 Six Day
Jax, FL
Scott Summey
Jacksonville, Florida

socalmx

I have found out the hard way the ethanol in the fuel will clog pilot jets if bike allowed to sit for a while. Sounds to me that this might be what is going on with your bike. Fix is to clean it out and start using a ethanol treatment in your fuel. Don't need but a bit but sure protects those jets. Good luck.

Scott Summey

Thanks socalmx, Just finished a good carb clean including cleaning the jets and polishing the slide also changed the plug with no change in the result. Also disconnected the kill switch, just because. I'm wanting to think that it might be fuel starved with a sticking needle valve/float. Has anyone experienced this?

Scott

72 Six Day
Jax, FL
Scott Summey
Jacksonville, Florida

Dwight Rudder

I hope you are not running Gasohol (E10) in this bike. Ethanol will eat the fiberglas tank and you can get rosin and trash into your carb and petcocks.  Run lower octane race gas or non ethanol gas or a least AvGas (not the best choice but better than E10).

Big Mac

Had same symptoms at least 2-3 times. Plugged pilot jet. New ones work best but careful cleaning with fine wire or welding tip cleaning tool works. I'd start there.
Jon McLean
Lake Grove, OR

Scott Summey

Dwight/Mac,
I've been running normal pump gas (93 octane) and draining the tank after use/re-build sessions. I do have two non ethanol options in my area, one being 89 octane and the other 100 octane. What are you guys running (ethanol/non ethanol)?? I have been using the same mix in my 03 yz125 with no issues so far. I'll re-check the pilot jet this weekend, it appears to be clean but I did not pass anything through to push out any unseen debris.  I'll do that this week.

Thanks again with all the suggestions, for the brief moments that it was running yesterday it ran like a scalded dog. To say that I was amazed is an understatement and i'm excited to get this bike out.

Scott

72 Six Day
Jax, FL
Scott Summey
Jacksonville, Florida

Scott Summey

Still working on the same issue on 125 Six Day and looking for new suggestions. Currently bike will start and run as long as I have the choke on but will not idle or run with the choke lever disengaged. New parts as follows,

Bing 27mm carb

Jets (all) 35/140/2.73
needle (set at 2nd position)
slide
float needle and seat

All the jets are clean and free from obstruction, float needle works as it should with fuel going to the carb and enricher working properly. Float is not cracked or leaking. I may clean out and reseal bottom of choke plunger next since I am running out of things to try short of a new carb which should not be needed.

The frustration lies in the bike was running well and all of a sudden developed this problem. Ant suggestions.

72 Six Day
Jax, FL
Scott Summey
Jacksonville, Florida

G Ellis

Dale Fisher

I've encountered a similar fault with my Jackpiner.  Scrapping the Amal I went to a 30mm Bing.  Had it running well with a slide that was not cut for the choke.  Didn't start the best and had to dribble some gas in the plug hole but once warm it was fine with no choke cable connected.  Installed a different slide which looked a little more worn with the cutout and choke assembly installed and it will only now run with the choke on.  It could have been the cold day and it will be a while before I can get back out outdoors.  I suspect in my case the slide is the first thing to investigate further.

Dale Fisher
POG Memberships
74 Berkshire 100
70 Six-Days 125
73 Jackpiner 175
Dale Fisher

Former POG President,
Memberships, and Merchandising - Retired
Mudlark Registry

brian kirby

Buy a 26/28mm Mikuni and forget about it.

Brian
Brian

Scott Summey

Gary/Dale/Brian,

Thanks for the quick replies. I've blown out the pilot jet and pass with the compressor, i'll see if I can't pull it apart again today to further clean the pilot pass.

I'm not going to give up on this carb just yet although I have been looking at and reading all the old posts on Mikuni vs Bing and as well as I can tell most members feel the Bing produces slightly more bottom power.

I also have been using basic 93 octane unleaded in the bike with a 40-1 mix. I do have a station locally that sells 89 grade with no ethanol.

72 Six Day
Jax, FL
Scott Summey
Jacksonville, Florida

brian kirby

People say the Bing makes more power, but you will never feel the difference IMO. If anything the Mikuni will have better low/mid response and a bit less top end. The one big difference is with a Mikuni your bike will run the same way every time you start it and it wont wear out in a few months of use. You can mount a 26mm Mikuni without doing any kind of irreversible mods to your bike, so if you ever want to go back to 100% original its as simple as putting the Bing back on. If you want to actually RIDE your bike, do yourself a favor and buy a Mikuni, you wont regret it.

Brian
Brian