Matching A Tire Size

Started by Keith Meatyard, February 18, 2012, 04:17:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keith Meatyard

I had a pair of Cheng-Shin tires that came with my 175 JP project, and the rear is a 4.10-18.  This tire doesn't look nearly as wide or tall as the Metzler that came off.  I have seen some Cheng-Shin 4.60-18, and 5.30-18 on line.  Anybody know if either of these will be a comparable size to the original?

Keith Meatyard
Keith Meatyard

Dale Sonnenschein

I remember my brothers suzuki savage 250 taking a 450x18 and it was a huge tire.He ran good year eagles back then. The 410 was a tire that came on the smaller bikes. I think my 185 suzuki took 400 or 410. Back in the day a 450 was too big for the smaller bikes. Size does vary from one manufacturer to another though.

74 puch 175 SD
73 Husky 360 WR/RT
75 Penton 250
10 ktm 250xc
02 bmw r1150r

Kip Kern

Keith  Stick with the 4:10, I use 4:00's.  They won't rub the chainguard.

Keith Meatyard

Quotequote:Originally posted by kip kern

Keith  Stick with the 4:10, I use 4:00's.  They won't rub the chainguard.
The original 4.00-18 Metzler M1 is taller and wider than the 4.10-18 Cheng-Shin.  Also, the original tire wasn't rubbing the chain guard.  I'm concerned that the 4.10 will look small.  Apparently, 4.10 to one manufacturer is not the same as another.  What brand of 4.00's are you using, and how do they compare in size?

Keith Meatyard
Keith Meatyard

brian kirby

Keith, you need to ditch the Cheng Shins and get a set of Pirelli MT16s, they look exactly like the original Metzler, and the 110/100-18 is the same size and profile as the original Metzler 400-18. None of the Cheng Shin/Kenda/Duro tires are the same profile, they are all lower even if the size on the side is the same.

Brian
Brian

gooddirt

Why not a new pair of Metzlers mc4 or mc5 100/100 also  the uni-cross if you can find some older stock of the smaller rears, you can still get the fronts.

brian kirby

Those modern Metzlers dont look right, and they are all made by Pirelli now anyway, Pirelli owns Metzler. The closest thing in profile and look to the old Metz tires that came on these bikes is not the Unicross, its the Pirelli MT16.

Brian
Brian

Mick Milakovic

The look of a tire vs. racing performance is always a great conversation.  If you're racing the bike then get a set of tires that work well for you and the machine, but if you're showing the bike then you need a set of period-correct tires.  I'm using a set of Uni-cross tires on my current Jackpiner restoration for racing, but saving a set of Hi-Point Red Dots for when I retire the bike for showing.

Mick
Mick

brian kirby

Thats the great thing about the MT16s Mick, IMO they are as good or better in most any conditions than any other tire out there, and they look correct. I have an MT16 front even on all my modern bikes, and when the MSXC rear wears out on my Honda CR500 I'm going to put an MT16 on to match the front. The only bikes you cant put a matching pair of MT16s on is vintage bikes smaller than 175, and like my modern YZ125 the only 19" available is too big, they are just too big a tire for small bikes.

Brian
Brian

Mick Milakovic

My bad Brian, I have a Michelin Star-Cross on the front of the JP.

Mick
Mick

Dwight Rudder

Use Pirelli MT16s front and rear. Look great and work even better.
A C/S (which is out of production) 4.60X18 would be much closer than a 4.10.  A 4.10X18 is like a small 350X18. Weird , I know.  The Pirelli MT16 110/100X18 used to be Pirelli's 400X18.  It is a larger 400X18.  Close in size to Metzeler's Motocross Enduro 450X18.  Not to be confused with the HUGE Metzeler MultiCross 450X18 which is similar in size to the Pirelli MT16 120/100X18.

gooddirt

Keith whats wrong with your old Metz take off? it doesn't look that bad. If you want to keep your bike OEM I would buff it up and use it.

Keith Meatyard

Quotequote:Originally posted by gooddirt

Keith whats wrong with your old Metz take off? it doesn't look that bad. If you want to keep your bike OEM I would buff it up and use it.
It looks better in the pic than in real life.  I thought about it, but when taking it off, it was really hard, some cracks, and crusty where it had been against the rusty rim for so many years.  The bead was crushing from the tools.  It is a M1 4.00-18.  Was that the OEM tire?  The front was Gel D 3.00-21.

Keith Meatyard
Keith Meatyard

checkcrew

here is a shot of my 71 S/T with the MT16's
100/100-18 just barely rubs the chain guard, i shaved a fraction off the very side knobs and it was free and clear,
Great tires !!!!

Mike Gallagher, NJ.
[email protected]
Mike Gallagher, NJ.
[email protected]

Dwight Rudder

Mike, those don't look like MT16s. MT16s also don't come in 100/100X18.  
Dwight

Quotequote:Originally posted by checkcrew

here is a shot of my 71 S/T with the MT16's
100/100-18 just barely rubs the chain guard, i shaved a fraction off the very side knobs and it was free and clear,
Great tires !!!!

Mike Gallagher, NJ.
[email protected]