Wheel Options

Started by KJDonovan, April 10, 2012, 03:42:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KJDonovan

I am getting ready to redo a 72 Six Day for my wife and I am looking to opinions on rims.  First off this will not be used for any kind of competition, just some light trail riding and cruising around back roads and such.  

Anyway, right out of the gate she wants chrome rims, so I was going to send a pair of old Radelli's out to be rechromed but to have it done right, I am looking at close to $200 a wheel with shipping, so I figured I would see what other options are out there.  

I found a company in the UK (CWC http://www.central-wheel.co.uk/ ) that makes stainless wheels that look really nice and won't get rusty anytime soon for less than what it costs ($160 per wheel w/shipping) for rechroming my old ones.  But I wanted to see what other folks were using for "pretty" restores.   Any and all input is appreciated.

Thanks,

KD

Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
72 Jack Piner (My Ride)
72 Six Day (Wifes Ride)
71 Suzuki TS125 (Project)
Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
72 Jack Piner
72 Six Day
73 Hare Scrambler
74 Hare Scrambler
74 Mint

Kip Kern

Contact Mike at "Walridge Motors" (Google), he has Radaellis in stock for Pentons.  They are chrome with tha Radaelli stamped inside the rim.  Tell him I sent you!  A far cry cheaper than crhoming old ones!  I just bought a set for my Piner a few months back

KJDonovan

Kip,

How was the chrome on the Radelli's you got?  I got a pair there a few years back and the chrome, was kinda lousy.  I didnt know if that was the norm or I just got a less than great set.

Thanks,

KD

Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
72 Jack Piner (My Ride)
72 Six Day (Wifes Ride)
Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
72 Jack Piner
72 Six Day
73 Hare Scrambler
74 Hare Scrambler
74 Mint

linglewn

I have purchased several sets of Radaellis from Walridge and have always been satisfied with the service and the quality of the rims and spokes. It has been a couple of years, but the last ones that I baught from them were about $105 U.S. each.

Nelson Lingle
73 Jackpiner
74 Jackpiner
71 DKW 125
Nelson Lingle
73 Jackpiner
74 Jackpiner
71 DKW 125

Kip Kern

Chrome is just like the originals, cheap and original!

KJDonovan

Ah, got it exactly what I thought.  I think I am going to try the stainless ones for this bike,  I will post a pic after I get them in and laced up.

Thanks,

KD

Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
72 Jack Piner (My Ride)
72 Six Day (Wifes Ride)
Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
72 Jack Piner
72 Six Day
73 Hare Scrambler
74 Hare Scrambler
74 Mint

DougDyar

Not trying to hijack this thread, but what options are available for aluminum rims? I am starting to look for a set for my 72 Jackpiner, and am confused by what I've read in other posts. I'll need a new set of rims and spokes to match. Thx.

72 Penton 175 Jackpiner
92 Suzuki DR350
72 Honda CT70
71 Honda CT70H
70 Honda CT70H
73 Penton 175 Jackpiner
74 Honda CT70

Dale Fisher

I used the Radealli rims and galvanized spokes available through Walridge to complete my Jackpiner last year.  The only water it has seen was a slight amount of drizzle from under the POG tent at Mid Ohio.  Before reaching home rust was already forming around the bottom of the nipples.  Now after the winter in the garage the spokes have spots which do not clean up with steel wool and the chrome on the rims has suffered slightly.  Not wanting to repeat that I departed from the norm on the steel tanker and used British stainless CWC rims with Buchanan stainless spokes bought through Speed and Sport.  Note:  I ordered them the end of December received the front about a month ago and have not seen the rear yet.  Only a purist would probably see any difference and I am very happy with the results. Note the nipples are chromed steel and still subject to some potential rusting.

The front rim was $165, spokes $85.

Dale Fisher
POG Memberships
74 Berkshire 100
70 Six-Days 125
73 Jackpiner 175
Dale Fisher

Former POG President,
Memberships, and Merchandising - Retired
Mudlark Registry

KJDonovan

Dale,

Your experience with the stock Radaelli's is the same as I have had in the past, my garage gets damp in the warmer months and things get rusty too quick.  I talked with the folks at CWC (Richard Hoyland) and for their stainless steel rims he quoted me a price of 75 pounds ($119.25) per rim drilled and 45 pounds (71.55) for shipping the pair to me.  This is for a 21" WM-1 for the front and an 18" WM-2 for the rear.  I also sent Alicia at Buchanan's a note on the stainless spoke and nipple sets, but I am waiting to hear back, but I expect those will be around $80 per wheel.   Other than the shipping price for the rims from the UK, seemed like a very fair price.   I will be placing my order for all next Friday; I'll let you know how quickly they get here.

Thanks,

KD

Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
72 Jack Piner (My Ride)
72 Six Day (Wifes Ride)
Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
72 Jack Piner
72 Six Day
73 Hare Scrambler
74 Hare Scrambler
74 Mint

Hank McCurdy

Hey,
One thing to keep in mind: when dissimilar metals come in contact, some corrosion will eventually take place and this is almost impossible to prevent. One metal acts as the anode and the other the cathode. This is of particular concern with rims and nipples as they make definite contact and can't be insulated from one another. I know that stainless and regular carbon steel are partularly bad to use in combination. Galvanized and chrome may not get along, but I'm not sure.
All the Best,
Hank

Kip Kern

I have never experienced a problem with the new Radaellis and stock nipples replated (have even raced on them).  Must be living right,  have bought and installed over 20 sets! I reuse the original spokes and nipples, just have them Zinc plated after blasting prior to lacing.

SouthRider

Always use never seize any time you are making a threaded connection on stainless, or you may end up with a permanently seized connection.

Especially critical on stainless to mild steel, but more importantly on all spokes & nipples.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

"We the willing, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, that we are now qualified to do almost anything, with nothing."

1972 Penton Berkshire 100
1983 Husqvarna 250 XC
2011 Jayco 31.5 RLDS
2009 Chevy 2500 HD Duramax
_____________________________________________________________________________________

\\"We the willing, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, that we are now qualified to do almost anything, with nothing.\\"

1972 Penton Berkshire 100
1983 Husqvarna 250 XC
2011 Jayco 31.5 RLDS
2009 Chevy 2500 HD Duramax