Worn out Swingarm clamp hole

Started by gooddirt, April 19, 2012, 10:44:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gooddirt

Any thought on a fix for a loose hole at the clamp collar . It a 74.5 400 .

Bud Green

Mister  gooddirt call me
 at 614-893-0292
  Bud Green

brian kirby

Go buy a cheap Chinese feeler gauge set, snip off the appropriate thickness feeler, and use it as a shim. Works for loose bearings like the sprocket carrier too.

Brian
Brian

SouthRider

Wow - Brian,

What a simple but elegant example of Yankee Ingenuity.

Not the "technically correct" solution, but one that would probably work for a long time in a myriad of situations.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

"We the willing, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, that we are now qualified to do almost anything, with nothing."

1972 Penton Berkshire 100
1983 Husqvarna 250 XC
2011 Jayco 31.5 RLDS
2009 Chevy 2500 HD Duramax
_____________________________________________________________________________________

\\"We the willing, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, that we are now qualified to do almost anything, with nothing.\\"

1983 Husqvarna 250 XC
2011 Jayco 31.5 RLDS

gooddirt

I don't want to do a grand who-ha fix so, a .oo6 feeler seems to work:D

brian kirby

I cant take credit for the idea Clark, I learned that trick from Ernie Phillips. It is an elegant solution to the problem though.

Brian
Brian

Keith Meatyard

Quotequote:Originally posted by brian kirby

Go buy a cheap Chinese feeler gauge set, snip off the appropriate thickness feeler, and use it as a shim. Works for loose bearings like the sprocket carrier too.

Brian
Brian's mention of the loose bearings in the sprocket carrier is something that I noticed on both of my Jackpiners I restored.  The bearings get loose on the OD inside the bore of the aluminum carrier.  For those interested, I thought I would pass this along:  If you have access to a lathe, the carrier bore can be overbored to accept a bearing sleeve, which are available from any bearing supplier.  The sleeve is purchased with the particular bearing in mind, and instructions will provide the bore size for the correct press-in interference fit.  the sleeve is pressed into the finished bore of the carrier using a sleeve retaining compound.  The ID is then machined to a diameter that will give a light press fit for the bearing.  If anybody needs a pic of one installed, just email me at [email protected].

Keith Meatyard
Keith Meatyard

SouthRider

Keith,

Exactly - that is the "correct" way. Just like adding weld material to the inside of a swingarm and then machining it out.

Easy to say, but not always easy to accomplish without a machine shop.

That's why I love the feeler gage idea. It could work for years with a little monitoring and occasional touch up.

"We the willing, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, that we are now qualified to do almost anything, with nothing."

1983 Husqvarna 250 XC
2011 Jayco 31.5 RLDS

\\"We the willing, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, that we are now qualified to do almost anything, with nothing.\\"

1983 Husqvarna 250 XC
2011 Jayco 31.5 RLDS