PVL Stator Timing Mark

Started by KJDonovan, May 23, 2012, 08:32:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KJDonovan

This is a little off topic, but does anyone know where timing marks are supposed to be on a PVL stator?  I ask because I picked up an 87 KTM 250, it has awesome, spark but I am pretty sure the timing is way off.  I can see the timing mark on the internal flywheel but I cannot see anything on the stator.  There are 2 little white stickers with arrows that point forward on the stator, one at 6 o'clock and one at 12 but I don't see any chisel mark on the stator where these arrows are pointing.  Do I just use the point on the arrow as the timing mark?

Thanks,

Kevin

Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
72 Jack Piner (My Ride)
72 Six Day (Wifes Ride)
71 Suzuki TS125 (Project)
Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
72 Jack Piner
72 Six Day
73 Hare Scrambler
74 Hare Scrambler
74 Mint

Ron

Hi Kevin,
There are two small hash marks on the black stator casing of the PVL, one near each of the arrows.
Use the mark close to the arrow that corresponds with the direction your engine turns.
The hash marks don't show up very well in my pictures, but I aligned the rotor with each hash mark on the stator, for each direction in both pictures, that should give you an idea where to look on your stator casing.
Hope this helps,
Ron

Ernie Phillips

Also, remember; the PVL rotor is not keyed to the crankshaft which means the rotor mark can be any orientation - zero to 360 degrees.  Find where the rotor mark is at TDC.  Back up xx mm BTDC.  Line up stator and rotor marks and bingo - you're done.

Remember, don't rely on casing marks, they don't mean anything because the rotor is not keyed.

Section 5: TIMING PROCEDURE:  Except for a very few PVL applications, no keyway is supplied. Keyways and woodruff keys are utilized by manufacturers for ease of timing during mass production. The woodruff key does not hold the rotor to the crank! If your PVL system has no keyway, then no woodruff key is used. Timing the PVL ignition to your engine will require the use of a dial indicator type timing gauge to measure the position of the piston. By aligning the marks on both the rotor and the stator, and measuring the position of the piston Before Top Dead Center (BTDC), you will be able to set the timing to the needs of your engine. Before installing the rotor, clean both  the bore of the rotor and the stub of the crankshaft with contact cleaner, acetone, or other suitable product to be sure that it is clean and free from grease, oil, or other residue. With a dial indicator in the spark plug hole, rotate the crankshaft in the direction of the engine's rotation until the piston reaches Top Dead Center. Turn the crankshaft backwards until the piston reaches the timing position that you wish to use.  Install the rotor to the crankshaft so that the timing mark on the rotor lines up with the appropriate timing mark on the stator.

find more details here:  http://www.pentonracingproducts.com/

Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN
Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN

KJDonovan

Ron / Ernie,

Thanks so much, guess I will need to pull out the really bright light to find those marks. Sounds like it should be pretty easy to set after I see the marks, Based on what the bike is doing, or not doing, starting, I am guessing the guy I got this from has it set 180 out.

Thanks again!

Kevin

Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
72 Jack Piner (My Ride)
72 Six Day (Wifes Ride)
Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
72 Jack Piner
72 Six Day
73 Hare Scrambler
74 Hare Scrambler
74 Mint

Ron

Kevin,
FYI, I have a PVL on my Penton 125 Six Day and it works perfect. Easy to start, easy to time, no issues whatsoever.
Then, I put the one I took pictures of on my my 77 Husky 250CR. Nothing but issues.
I tried everything I could think of and every suggestion I got from numerous people on the message boards.
Clean the grounds, add an extra ground wire, verified I had the 5000 wind coil, advance the timing, retard the timing, change the pilot jet, etc, etc.
In the end I think the conclusion was, Husky's just don't spin the motor fast enough for consistant starting (especially when cold).
I finally gave up and put an old motoplat back on it.
Ron

brian kirby

You are right Ron, Huskys and Maicos kick start gear ratios do not spin the engine over fast enough, you have to REALLY spin them over to get them to fire. My Uncle changed his PVL on his '76 Husky 175 to an MZB and it starts very easily since the MZB creates a spark at much lower crank speed than the PVL or the Motoplat.

BTW, that PVL was the OEM ignition for the KTMs from '94 or so until '98.

Brian
Brian

Bob Bean

I put a PVL on my 81 Husky 250CR and it starts 1 or 2 kicks.

I set it at 1.85mm BTDC, but didnt like the soft bottom end power so bumped it up to 2mm BTDC..

Still doesnt have as much as it did with the Moto plat, so gonna bump up the timing some more...

Bob Bean

1986 ISDE Italy
1987 ISDE Poland
1989 ISDE Germany

1970 125 Six Day
1973 100 Berkshire
1973 Jackpiner 175
1974 Penton 250 Harescrambler
1976 Husky 250CR
1981 Husky 250CR
1982 Husky 250CR
1983 Honda CR480
1985 Husky 400WRX
1985 Husky 400WR
1986 ISDE Italy
1987 ISDE Poland
1989 ISDE Germany

KJDonovan

Well, I worked on this project today and ran into an issue.  First I checked the timing and it was about 90 degrees out, so I figured before setting it right I would pull the stator, flywheel and clean everything up in there.  I pull the stator, and then I notice the PVL base plate is attached directly to the case, the KTM plate it is supposed to be attached to is not there, and to top it off the PVL plate was only being held on by 2 5MM screws. With just the 2 screws it wasn't even being held on center.  So now the hunt is on for the correct base plate to attach the PVL base plate to!  I have no idea how this thing was producing such great spark with this thing barely attached.  The fun never stops!

Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
72 Jack Piner (My Ride)
72 Six Day (Wifes Ride)
Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
72 Jack Piner
72 Six Day
73 Hare Scrambler
74 Hare Scrambler
74 Mint

Rain Man

sparktrology at its best!!  Kevin, ALB may be able to help you with the issue of the KTM backing plate.   Give him a jingle.
If there isn't anything holding the stator on center, I almost guarantee Murphy's law will wipe that stator out :(
Good Luck

Raymond
 Down East Pentons
Raymond
 Down East Pentons

KJDonovan

Well, I just wanted to follow up on this post.  With a real lot of help from Jerry at Penton Imports I got the right plates, yep 2 of them to attach the PVL to this beast, fired up on the first kick, and that was with some crappy old gas that was in the tank!  After I finish buttoning everything and cleaning some of the crap off it I will take a picture and post.   This is the most modern bike in my stable, and I am guessing it will be a screamer!:D
Thanks,
Kevin

Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
72 Jack Piner (My Ride)
72 Six Day (Wifes Ride)
Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
72 Jack Piner
72 Six Day
73 Hare Scrambler
74 Hare Scrambler
74 Mint

Ron

Cool! Glad you got her going and the PVL worked out for you.

KJDonovan

Well, I finally got to take a ride on this beast, unbelievable power and torque still got some bugs to work out of it but I think it may be a keeper!  On my first ride I went blasting down the driveway only to realize the back brake was not working when I got to the end!  Dam good thing I live in the middle of no where.  It won't win any beauty contests, but I can't remember the last time I rode something with so much nut!

Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
72 Jack Piner (My Ride)
72 Six Day (Wifes Ride)
Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
72 Jack Piner
72 Six Day
73 Hare Scrambler
74 Hare Scrambler
74 Mint

brian kirby

Not a beauty queen? It looks better than any bike I own. :D

Brian
Brian

Bob Bean

Looks pretty darn good to me too !

If you ever get a chance to ride a 89 350, you will really be amazed at the power it has..

Bob Bean

1986 ISDE Italy
1987 ISDE Poland
1989 ISDE Germany

1970 125 Six Day
1973 100 Berkshire
1973 Jackpiner 175
1974 Penton 250 Harescrambler
1976 Husky 250CR
1981 Husky 250CR
1982 Husky 250CR
1983 Honda CR480