Shock Shaft Re-Chroming

Started by Mick Milakovic, June 07, 2012, 12:21:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mick Milakovic

Hi all,

What is your experience, is it better and/or cheaper to re-chrome a vintage set of shock shafts, or replace with new?  I've got a set of Konis I'm considering rebuilding, but one shaft is really bad while the other is good.  Thank you,

Mick
Mick

tomale

last year when I needed to have my Fox gas shocks rebuilt, one of the shafts was badly damaged. I could have had it rechromed but it just did not make sense to me.. my buddy had a length of 1/2 shaft and he cut it to size and turned the ends in a lath.. it worked out good and the cost was fairly cheap. It is sort of like buying in bulk, when you buy or produce stuff in large quanities, it becomes a lot cheaper. Rechroming one shaft would be very expensive.. because there is alot to the process. As I understand, it must be ground down, plated several times, ground to size and then polished..

Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
76' 250 MC5 (orginal owner)
74'250 hare scrambler (project)
74' 1/2 440 maico
78' 440 maico
72' cr125 Husky (project)
93' RMx 250 suzuki

Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

Kip Kern

Some machine shops have crank ends redone, I'll bet shock shafts can be done also just be ready to pay the price!

penrac

Race tech charges $200.00 per shaft! there may be a chrome plate repair shop in the Cleveland area here to do these for less.

wade195

I work at a Cat dealer here in Tn and we use a company called High Tech Chrome to do all our hydraulic cylinder rods.

They did a set for me a while back. Not sure what it was? I am thinking something like 100 dollars?

Blessings

Doug