WANTED: 250 Penton Engine/Parts

Started by Daniel P. McEntee, August 27, 2012, 10:14:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daniel P. McEntee

Hello Group;
   Now that the weather is starting to cool off and working in the garage will be more comfortable, I'm going to get into fixing up the Pentons I brought back from my late brothers estate in Atlanta. The primary subject will be to build up a 250 Penton using a frame with the number 41179744 on it and an engine that has the number 4-5403997. The engine has been converted into a 400, from what I can see with the head off, and I don't know what all had to be done to do that, but I imagine it was an extensive rebuild. I want to make this bike a 250 because that is the last displacement my brother and I needed to have one of each model in our humble little collection. I imagine I might be better off if I can find a usable 250 engine core rather than try to convert this engine back. I hope to get into disassembly of this engine soon to see exactly what I have. I have another engine that came with the collection fo parts, but it is a 400 also. I have been selling off a couple of bikes to raise some capital and will be listing a couple of vintage Huskies on St. Louis Craig's List in the near future to raise some more if needed. Let me know what you have. I may have some 400 parts to offer for swap/trade whatever. One way or the other, I'm going to get this bike done. Thanks for any and all help.
  Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee
  Florissant, MO
 [email protected]
  314-575-0791

chicagojerry

hi dan. i may be able to help with some of what you want to do. i may even have a core 250 to swap. i'll have to check to make sure. does either 400 have the heavier crank? i would imagine that the converted from a 250 one would not. anyway, feel free to drop me a line at [email protected]
chi jer

Daniel P. McEntee

Quotequote:Originally posted by chicagojerry

hi dan. i may be able to help with some of what you want to do. i may even have a core 250 to swap. i'll have to check to make sure. does either 400 have the heavier crank? i would imagine that the converted from a 250 one would not. anyway, feel free to drop me a line at [email protected]
chi jer
Hi Jerry;
   Thanks for the reply. I hope to get into this thing soon and get an idea of exactly what I need. I have a local friend that used to be a Penton dealer back then, and he still has his factory manuals and some special tools, and remembers quite a bit about these engines. He'll be a big help, but doesn't have anything in the way of parts.
  Thanks a lot,
  Dan McEntee