A question of legality

Started by johnacapp, September 26, 2012, 07:45:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnacapp

Can anyone tell me in 1974 when my 250 Penton Harescrambler was brand new was it street legal? More specific, street legal in Pennsylvaia? Reason being if it is legal I would like to try to get it plated in PA.
Thanks in advance
John Capp

marsattacks

John that is a great question but not the precisely correct question. For you the question is whether you have a valid PA title in your name.  If you do and your bike has not been extensively modified and it has the Appearance of lights that work (read that carefully) you can get an antique plate entitling you to occasional street use during daylight and god weather (visibility). You must also have insurance.  I have a plate Jackpiner (72) a plated Harescrambler (74) a plate Bultaco (74) and a Hercules that will be plated when I get around to it.  All PA. Happy to help.

Mars Attacks!

Mars Attacks!
68 Planetary/Lunar Lander (very sadly, sold with Gamma death-ray to the Italians)
78 400 MC5 also sadly sold
79 space rock shox bike

Big Mac

Man, PA is tough. I restored a barn find '73 Harescrambler, put a Preston Petty headlight on it, wired a tail light just to work as a brake light, stuck a mirror on the bars.

Took it to our local Oregon DMV a few years back with copy of the original out-of-state title and got it inspected, re-titled and plated. Didn't have a horn, but they didn't ask, and no questions about the Michelin S-12s. No blinkers needed on pre-'76 bikes if you don't ride after dark. I did have to show them my Geico insurance card.

I later rode it back to the DMV and took my MC rider test on it to get my MC endorsement--never had one up til then. The test-giver said he used to race a Steel Tanker back in the day, thought it was a cool bike. Told him to check out the POG site!

Jon McLean
Lake Grove, OR
Jon McLean
Lake Grove, OR

johnacapp

Thanks guys for the responces!,
FYI
I live in PA bought the bike 5+ years ago on e-bay, had the foresight to get a receipt from the person I bought it from but he didn't have the title. I am so close to completing the bike. Now I have gotten into dual sports and thought MAN how cool would it be to ride the Penton in dual sports? So now I am on a mission not only to bring her back to life but a more use full existence!

So now I'm working on getting the PA title, I posted a previous e-mail asking about international title search but I am very skeptical about trying them, so I am also trying other avenues to get a PA title. A guy I know from Vermont still has family there so I have gotten some information from Vermont on getting it initially titled there then transfer to my name in PA. But if anyone out there can help me in this process of obtaining a title with just a receipt  PLEASE chime in on the web site.

Mars Attacks can you tell me do I need my front brake wired up to tail light doesn't look like it had previsions for this?  I guess what I'm really asking exactly what was legal in PA for a 1974 motorcycle, and any insight into PA motorcycle inspection shops that would be familiar with the 1974 rules, antique plate and would be willing to inspect my bike. (Once titled and plated of course) I would LOVE to see photos of your 74 HS!

Sorry for the long post just have a lot of questions and unknowns
John Capp

lmroberts36

John,

Read the thread at the link below for info on titling a non-titled bike. I'm in PA and had to jump through some hoops to get a '73 titled. It can be done, but ya gotta be creative.:) good luck!

http://www.pentonusa.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13721

Larry Roberts, Mont Alto, PA
1973 Penton 125 Six-day
1991 Mazda RX-7 Turbo track car
http://rotarydiagnostics.com
1973 Penton 125 Six-days(Sold)
1984 Honda V65 Magna (sold)

marsattacks

John, no inspection in Pa for antique.  None.  Not even initially.  It is not that hard.  But I cannot type it all out.  Give me your number I will call you.  Look in for sale section I just posted a fully street legal 250.
Mars Attacks!
68 Planetary/Lunar Lander (very sadly, sold with Gamma death-ray to the Italians)
79 space rock shox bike

marsattacks

Pa plated and legal 72 Jackpiner:
Mars Attacks!
79 space rock shox bike

marsattacks

74 plated and legal Harescrambler:

Mars Attacks!
79 space rock shox bike

Rain Man

Unreal what the DMV makes you do in other States.  We have Antique plates here in Maine.  An insurance card and  bill of sales,   so they can hit you up for the 5% sales tax. Thats It !!

I have a garage full of Vintage bikes that I've registered over the past 30 years . Of course its alot more rural out here then in most States.
Its not uncommon to have 15 ATV'ers go right through downtown on Sundays.

Raymond
 Down East Pentons
Raymond
 Down East Pentons

Dennis Jones

All I can say is you Guys are very lucky, that's going to happen in Missouri. [xx(]

Dennis Jones
Dennis Jones

conrad2

I have a few antique titled bikes. The other man from Mars (Attacks) is correct. It is pretty easy if you can get some kind of MSO or title. You need 4 photos, one from each side, I think $75 one time fee and antique vehilce application and you have a plate. One suggestion I have is to try to use KTM on the application. The DMV can look that up pretty easy and they are familiar with the brand. Maybe KTM/Penton.
Antique plate means no inspection, and a permanent plate.
Good luck

Conrad Pfeifer
of Mars PA, Home of The Paul Danik Presidential Library
Conrad Pfeifer
of Mars PA, Home of The Paul Danik Presidential Library

lmroberts36

FYI-Just registered a bike as Antique in PA. They no longer require photos of the bike.

1984 Honda V65 Magna
1984 Honda V65 Magna (sold)