New Guy Intro and Penton Racing Questions

Started by tonupchad, October 03, 2012, 10:08:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tonupchad

Quotequote:Originally posted by brian kirby

I prefer an oval plate on the right side, those full panels stick out too far and you can barely get your boot on the peg.

Brian

Ive wondered about that hump.   Anybody else have the same problem?
\\\'73 Six Day (CMF)
\\\'68 Six Day Wasselump

Randy Kirkbride

The hump never bothered me..... but..... my feet were rarely on the pegs anyway.[xx(]

checkcrew

Brian,

you have to be able to reach the pegs first :-)))
jus-kiddin Bro - LOL -

i have no problem and it saves the inside of a $100 pair of riding gear from getting burned "IMO"

Quotequote:Originally posted by brian kirby

I prefer an oval plate on the right side, those full panels stick out too far and you can barely get your boot on the peg.

Brian

Mike Gallagher, NJ.
[email protected]
Mike Gallagher, NJ.
[email protected]

brian kirby

I have risers blocks on my pegs so I can reach them smart guy. :D

My gear never touches the pipe, the inside of the boot does so I never get burned and it never damages the boot.

Brian
Brian

checkcrew

My gear never touches the pipe, the inside of the boot does so I never get burned and it never damages the boot.
Brian
[/quote]

Brian,
it must have something to do with that Superman cape you put on ;)
you be the Man !!

hope to see you sometime soon, it's been a couple of years :-((

regards,

Mike Gallagher, NJ.
[email protected]
Mike Gallagher, NJ.
[email protected]

seanguthrie

I run that same setup and am very use to it.  I put some heat tape inside of the bump on my number plate to give some extra protection from the pipe.

74 250 Hare scramble
2 68 Six Day (projects)
74 250 Hare scramble
73 CMF 6day
68 6day V213

Ernie Phillips

If I had to do it all over again and I were going to race a Sachs engined Penton  and do AHRMA seriously (and I did 2007-2009) I would do the following:
1.   Make sure engine is solid.  Can you take the sellers word on it or find out when you break in the woods?  This is old stuff and it will break.  Doug Wilford engine rebuild $350 + parts.  Be sure and get him to install a JP Morgan selector key.
2.    PVL (or MZB) ignition $450.  Motoplat will fail – not a matter of if but only when.  Cost too much to travel these days to get DNFs
3.   New chain and sprockets $120 (I run all season on the same o-ring chain) use 175 chain guide
4.   New tires  $120
5.   New cables $90
6.   New or modified foot pegs $30
7.   New shocks $250 - $800.  I think Works ($450) are best because Sandy will tune to your skill.
8.   Caswell tank $35 DIY.
9.   New seat foam $80.
You don't need 35mm forks.  Benolkin and Kirby and kid Christopher hammer it and the 32mm work just fine.  I'm still running a steel rim on my favorite Six Day.  Get comfortable on the bike, takes a while to learn how to shift.   The stock Sachs motor makes good power.  Resist the temptation to fiddle with the porting or pipe.  I have run higher compression on occasion without problem.  I'm in the minority but I prefer the 30mm Bing on the 125s.  Mikuni is OK too, will still run when jetting is way off and does not load up in a tip over near as bad as a Bing.  But, a German carb on a German engine ... that's the way it's supposed to be!
The best for last:  If you take your racing seriously and you want to win, get in SHAPE and remember, "You don't breed race horse at the race track."  R. Carbaugh circ 2007.

Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN
Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN

brian kirby

The only thing I would disagree with the above advice Ernie gave is I will never Caswell another tank. All of the ones I have with Caswell in them the coating is peeling off. At New Blaine the pieces plugged both the petcocks and the inline filter. Since I dont use ethanol fuel I dont need it anyway. Everything else Ernie is right about.

Brian
Brian