Generation gap

Started by hankthecrank, October 19, 2012, 09:52:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hankthecrank

Hi everyone. I have been following a series here close to home and see several of the riders around from time to time. One young man whom I know because he attends a High School where I work, [I'm the maintenance foreman] has consistently raced and placed well over the past couple of years. He seems to be a fine young man, a good student, nothing bad reflecting on his character, just focused on school and racing. I saw him this past Sunday at the last race of the season for this series. I also saw him Monday morning and asked him how Sunday went. He said, I placed second on Sunday and Twentieth overall for the season. Thursday I saw him again and he had a John Penton GNCC shirt on. I thought about this and something about it reminded me of John P and his outlook on people. This morning before I went to work I went out to the shop and dug through my sticker drawer and pulled out a Penton sticker. The one that says PENTON with the rider that goes inside your back window and is 8 in long. I found him in the parking lot, OK I was watching for him, and walked up to him and asked if he had room for another sticker on his truck. He said yes and I handed him the sticker. He hesitated for a split second and said, Whoa! Thats old! I said yes, thats the real thing. He was so happy to receive that sticker. He said I don't have anything like this! Wait till I show my friends! There is no generation gap in the world of Pentons and KTM's. Thank you John Penton for my years of enjoyment past, present and future. Hank

Hank Rinehart
Hank Rinehart

skiracer

Nice story Hank!  I too have seen a lot of interest in the Pentons from younger riders.  Jl
1976 250 MC5 Original Owner
1976 Penton 175 XC
1977 250 GS6
@flyracingusa

Roy Smithson

Good post. Bikes bring people together. Roy

Paul Danik

Hi Hank,

That is quite a nice story...  

As I read it yesterday morning before heading to Amherst for the Dane Leimbach Memorial Harescramble, it occurred to me that John would be at the event, so I printed out your story and took it along.

Sure enough JP showed up at the Meadowlarks club grounds driving his orange mini truck, in between watching the races and talking with folks, he hung out at the POG display. When there was a lull in the action I handed your story to him and he instantly stood still and read it, as he came to the end he smiled and just shook his head....it was pretty obvious that he was touched by what you wrote :D

Take care,
Paul

hankthecrank

Thank you Paul. This means more to me than I can say. Hank

Hank Rinehart
Hank Rinehart

hankthecrank

Here is a followup to this story. A few days after this series ended this young man was waiting for me when I got to work! The series was having one last race, a buddy race, and as I'm sure you all know the riders use the same bike and in this race ride 1 1/2 hours each. I can't tell you all how much I appreciated the invite. Alas, it was not to be, I was out of town on business, but we have made arrangements to get together and ride. I'll have to bring him to some Penton functions.

Hank Rinehart
Hank Rinehart

tomale

That is cool stuff, way to go!
That reminds me of what happened to me this week.  
Next week I have to be away from my church on business and needed to find some one to fill my pulpit.  I was told about a fellow minister that lives about an hour away and I gave him a call. As it turns out, He is quite the woods rider. We talked about our favorite places to ride, old bikes and a friend we have in common that builds 60's vintage 4 stroke Motocrossers. Turns out he has several KTM's so I am going to feel right at home. So come spring, He and I will do some riding together.  I figure, that if a pastor is smart enough to ride a KTM, then He has to be a good guy.

Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
76' 250 MC5 (orginal owner)
74' 1/2 440 maico
70' 400 maico (project)
72' cr125 Husky (project)
93' RMx 250 suzuki

Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

Dave Ross

Great Stuff!

I'm a brand new member and Penton owner ('77 400 GS6).  This bike is 8 years older than I am.  Over Thanksgiving, my Grandpa handed this down to me.  Growing up, there were always stories of the great times that my Grandpa, my Uncles, and my Mom had on weekends when he would take them on family rides.  I was thrilled when he asked my Uncle to hand it over to me, since it is a somewhat rare bike, and more importantly, a family heirloom.  My Grandpa was the one who inspired me to start riding when I was a little kid, coached me along on technique, and told me all kinds of stories from the good old days where you could ride pretty much anywhere!

Got the ol' Penton home, sorted out all of the issues, and got it running.  First impression:  This thing is LOUD and VIBRATES like crazy!  Hats off to the Vintage racers of today and the champions of the past.  Bikes sure have come a long way.  That being said, it is extremely cool to have something like this.  I'll probably ride it a couple of times, then do a full restoration on it.  I will need the help of this forum along the way, I'm sure!  Too bad Grandpa just got his wrist fused straight from bad arthritis...I think he would love one last ride on this thing!

Dave
'08 KTM 300 XC-W(e)
'03 Yamaha TTR-125L
'97 Honda XR250R
'77 Penton 400 GS6 !!!

hankthecrank

Hey Dave and welcome to the POG! Thats so cool you guys are keeping the fire and the bike lit! Anytime you have questions, between the search feature here and the priceless knowledge base represented here you will find your answers. Attending some of these POG venues is icing on the cake. Imagine walking up to John Penton himself and saying Hi! He will treat you like family and so will everyone else here. Again, welcome. Hank

Hank Rinehart
Hank Rinehart