Bing carb.

Started by CWilson, October 26, 2012, 11:41:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CWilson

This question has probably been answered before but why the need for both a tickler AND a choke on the Bing carb on my 125 Six Days?  Thanks in advance!
Craig Wilson

Kip Kern

They do 2 different things.  The tickler pushes down on the floats to fill the float bowl quickly with fuel for and the choke simply bypasses the normal main fuel/air path to provide a more enriched fuel air mixture to allow starting. You can check out this path by blowing air in the small round orfice at the back opening of the carb, good to ensure that the bottom choke pilot hole under the seat is not blocked when the choke is raised while cleaning the carb body and too, change the choke seat to a modern type vs the old wax type. Hope this helps:)

454MRW

The handlebar lever actuated slide type choke should be applied during extended high speed running to richen up the fuel mixture and avoid a piston seizure. Mike

Michael R. Winter
I enjoy rebuilding and appreciating Pentons!
1974 250 HS Pentons-1980 KTM 175-400'S
1975 Can Am 175 TNT & 77 250 Black Widow
1979 Husqvarna OR390
1976-78 RM & 77-79 PE Suzuki's
1974 CR250M 07 CR125R 79 CR250R
Michael R. Winter
I enjoy rebuilding and appreciating Pentons!
1976 Penton MC5 400
1977 KTM MC5 125
1978 KTM 78 GS6 250
L78-79 MX6 175-250 KTM\\\'s
1976-78 125-400 RM\\\'s
2007 CR125R Honda
1977 MC250 Maico
2017 KTM Freeride 250R

Paul Danik

At the Six-Days in 1973 my Sachs powered Penton would initially not start on the first morning, fortunately for me Erwin Lechner from KTM was in the starting area and saw my situation.  He pointed to the tickler and instructed me to flood the engine with fuel....after killing a bit of grass under the bike it fired up on the first kick.  I had apparently not flooded the engine enough initially when I ticked the carb in fear of over flooding the engine.

The most common use of the choke is to richen the mixture after a cold engine fires and then starts to die out, often times just when you let the clutch out and hope to be under way....:)

Great question...
Paul

CWilson

Thanks guys for your input. When the tickler is pressed down, and fuel is running out of the overflow tube, is a small quantity of raw fuel going through the intake into the cylinder also?

Craig Wilson
Craig Wilson

Merlin

Yes CW, open the throttle when you tickle, let off the button when you see fuel come out the vent, this will make your bike a one or two kick starter cold most every time.

Quote: Thomas Jefferson, We are all born ignorant, some work to remain that way.
 Quote:Peter Villacaro, "it is impossible to teach those that wish not to be taught".
Quote: Thomas Jefferson, We are all born ignorant, some work to remain that way.
 Quote:Peter Villacaro, \\"it is impossible to teach those that wish not to be taught\\".