Ace Pipe on Jackpiner

Started by Keith Meatyard, October 28, 2012, 09:17:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keith Meatyard

I had posted this in the wrong forum, hopefully this will help.
Guys, I have a 74 175 JP, original except for the ACE pipe and 32mm Bing instead of 30mm. We have a riding area that is about to open up near me in the panhandle of Florida (Milton)that will require bikes to have spark arrestors. First question is does the ACE move the power curve up from stock, such that it hurts the bike for trails/enduro? Second, if I keep the ACE pipe, is there a good way to satisfy the spark arrestor requirement? I do have a stock 74 pipe that I could put on the bike if necessary. Does the ACE out-perform the stock pipe?

Thanks

Keith Meatyard
Keith Meatyard

brian kirby

I've never ridden a 175 with an Ace pipe, but I am sure it does improve the top end some as the stock pipe mufflers are somewhat restrictive. They dont make them anymore but you can find Cobra Sparky clamp on spark arrestors that are Forest Service approved. Google Cobra Sparky, and find the size that matches the end of the Ace pipe. The stock exhaust/muffler is not Forest Service approved so that wont help you for the Whiting OHV area.

Brian
Brian

Merlin

Stick with the stock pipe, sell the ACE pipe to someone you don't like, they are unfortunately a waste of money and sheet metal.

Quote: Thomas Jefferson, We are all born ignorant, some work to remain that way.
 Quote:Peter Villacaro, "it is impossible to teach those that wish not to be taught".
Quote: Thomas Jefferson, We are all born ignorant, some work to remain that way.
 Quote:Peter Villacaro, \\"it is impossible to teach those that wish not to be taught\\".

Larry Perkins

Totally disagree.  The ACE pipe develops better mid and upper RPM than the stock and the bottom does not suffer.  I won a National Championship and many many races with a Harescrambler equipped with an ACE pipe.

Larry P

rd400pi

Larry,
  If my Hare Scrambler is the one you are referring to, the pipe is actually a Jemco.  Same guys?

Mike H.
  Tulsa, Ok

brian kirby

I have an ACE pipe on my '74.5 Jackpiner that I put the '77 MC5 400 engine in. I could not tell any difference in the power delivery of the MC5 pipe and the ACE pipe, but I would bet the ACE pipe had a lot more mid-top than a stock GS pipe.

Brian
Brian

Merlin

ACE = scrap.

Quote:Peter Villacaro, "it is impossible to teach those that wish not to be taught".
 Quote:Peter Villacaro, \\"it is impossible to teach those that wish not to be taught\\".

brian kirby

I have to admit, I was not impressed with the quality of the construction and the sheet metal used is extremely thin. I got it used because I didnt have any kind of pipe I could put on the '74.5 and I got it really cheap. For what I paid I'm happy with it, but its not worth its retail price for sure.

Brian
Brian

DKWRACER

Merlin the Magician, if our post's disturb you, why do you keep quoting "Ignorance"..............
There is a pre-pondurance, contrary to "your" opininions, that suggest otherwise......

From very "personable experiences", I can assure you of one thing.

There is more than one owner of a Penton, and if his bike has an ACE pipe............do not tell me it's scrap!

Tom Brosius
Thomas Brosius

Merlin

Quotequote:Originally posted by DKWRACER

Merlin the Magician, if our post's disturb you, why do you keep quoting "Ignorance"..............
There is a pre-pondurance, contrary to "your" opininions, that suggest otherwise......

From very "personable experiences", I can assure you of one thing.

There is more than one owner of a Penton, and if his bike has an ACE pipe............do not tell me it's scrap!

Tom Brosius

So who are you, self appointed "content monitor" as soon as someone disagrees with you?

I have owned plenty of the ACE produced pipes for more than my Penton bikes, the were all a poor fit marginal performing waste of money.

Larry Perkins

Mike H.

No, the bike I refer to had an ACE and was a 74.5.  Might be a bit confusing as I did win 9 National titles with different Pentons.  I have ridden and raced probably 100 Pentons through the years and the Carl Cranke, Jemco and Ace pipes all produce better than any of the stock GS pipes.  The MC5 moto pipe is equal to those top 3 and a close second is the chrome tip GS pipe.  For go fast I would give the nod to the Carl and Jemco pipe.  I have never used a Circle F on a Penton but hear good things.  For trail I like the stock or Ace. You can not beat the stock for quiet and the production of that Penton tin can sound but it does stifle power. This is all seat of the pants readings but I would hope my riding/racing experience with the brand would give that some credibility.  None of these pipes would I call junk.

Mike,the Jemco one on the Rocket bike which was an early 74 develops even better mid and upper RPM but you do lose a bit down low.  Of course the reed helped that part.  For Moto I loved that Jemco and the reed motor in your bike.  I will always remember winning with it against a full gate in Over 40 at Mid-Ohio with 2,3, and 4 on my rear wire to wire.  Fastest 250 Penton I ever raced.  Still want it back.  LOL! Maybe one day it will come home.:D

Larry P