Vans.....

Started by skiracer, November 13, 2012, 06:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skiracer

Is anyone going to the races in just a full size van?  I am thinking of getting a van to replace my pickup and trailer.  I was wondering what kind of gas mileage they get loaded up.  It has to be better an the 10 or 11 mpg I am getting now.  Thanks!
1976 250 MC5 Original Owner
1976 Penton 175 XC
1977 250 GS6
@flyracingusa

chicagojerry

the last couple of years i drove to some pretty far removed races with new ford vans. i work at the plant that they are made at and i had access to preproduction models. they were both getting around 14 or 15 fully loaded and were quite comfortable to drive with either 3 or 4 bikes loaded in them. they were both e-350 extended models with a v8 gas engine. if you decide to buy a NEW ford, drop me a line, i can get you an x-plan pin # that would save you a few thousand dollars     chi jer

gooddirt

I remove  the seats in my Town & Country van and have a 4.0 liter motor (205 Hp) in it and get 26 to 28 on the HWY . If I draft a big rig truck even more, also no need for motel or tent  with the van.

Halk

Look into a diesel powered van. They are more fuel efficient. My diesel suburban gets about 18mpg pulling a 5'x8' trailer with my sidecar rig on it. One thing about hauling bikes in a van....be really sure you have NO fuel leaks from the petcocks etc. Me and a buddy drove five hours to a meet with a leaky BSA M20 in the back of the van. We just made it, at about half our mental capacity..... and we got out of the van, laid down on the grass and slept for a couple hours. We woke up with killer headaches and staggered around the meet for the weekend. H.

brian kirby

I have an '05 F-150 5.4 V8 4x4 truck and I get 17-18mpg with a flatbed trailer with 4 bikes on it, which is the same as I get empty. I've never pulled an enclosed trailer with it yet, but I'd expect to lose 4-5mpg from the wind resistance of the box.

Brian
Brian

Mickey Sergeant

LG's van climbs big hills to.Found this out when he came to my house

Mickey

Jeff D

If you can find a decent used Sprinter, I've heard the Mercedes diesel in it gets in the mid-20's.  Also, you might call Drew Smith at Works Enduro Rider...he came to the Reunion Ride in one of those new Ford Transit vans.  Kind of cramped for space, but I'd be interested to know how it is on fuel.  Assume it has a 4-banger.

Jeff DeBell
Jeff DeBell

Kip Kern

I have had a Ford E150 for the last 11 years, it is serving me very well and has performed outstanding.  I have a 5.4 V8 in mine and get 18 mpg in town and as much as 22 on the highway.  Have hauled as many as 5 vintage bikes in it at a time as well as 2 modern bikes (just hauled my new F800GS Beemer home in it with no problems.  I have also hauled a 22 ft enclosed trailer with it with no complaints.  You can sleep in it also in total comfort.  No reason to own a truck as a van is the same with more features!  My opinion;)  Also, this is my 5th van since I have been driving, have owned them all and Ford seems to be the best all around for me.

skiracer

Thanks for all the info guys!  I will be leaning towards a Ford F150, with a 5.4 motor.  The Mercs are too much money for my budget!  Thanks again. Jl
1976 250 MC5 Original Owner
1976 Penton 175 XC
1977 250 GS6
@flyracingusa

wfopete

I've been doing the van thing for years. Love 'em. My current van is a Chevy Express (extended 15 passenger).  I removed the last three bench seats but I left the the front bench seat installed.  Even so I can roll my bike inside and still have a couple of feet of free space in the back. Once I unload, guess what? I can use all that room for my living space (like folding out my army cot for sleeping). Much more wind/rain proof than a tent, plus I get built in heat, A/C & stereo. But what I really enjoy is the aroma of the dirt and mud from when the bike is on it's way home after a ride/race. Of course you get an extra measure of security when your bike is locked inside.

Pete Petrick
175 Jackpiner
Slow but Good
Pete Petrick
175 Jackpiner
Slow but Good

checkcrew

i have a 2000 Ford E250 Long WB 5.4 V8 that i use mainly for bike transport, it will make it from my home in South Jersey to Mid-Ohio fully loaded pulling my flatbed trailer on one tank of gas :-))
the comfort level is like riding in my living room chair :-))
i bought it 2nd hand from a fellow ECEA racer here in Jersey who used it for that same purpose,
mine has 210,000 miles on it and runs as new, another thing that i believe is a true testament to is it has had nothing but Mobil 1 in it since new,
the Ford gets my vote :-))

Mike Gallagher, NJ.
[email protected]
Mike Gallagher, NJ.
[email protected]

Dale Sonnenschein

Jim, didn't you have a flat nose ford van back in the day?  I remember a lot of shag carpet. Lol. Or maybe it was eds :)

74 puch 175 SD
73 Husky 360 WR/RT
75 Penton 250
10 ktm 250xc
02 bmw r1150r

chicagojerry

as a ford employee, i recieve 5 x-plans a year to give to anyone. it yields a substantial savings. so if anyone is in the market for any new ford, feel free to contact me. the process takes only a couple of minutes. and if i use all mine up i have a whole lot of friends at work to enlist too.    chi jer

Paul Danik

If you are looking at a used Ford with the 5.4 engine you might want to read this.
http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/local/ford-drivers-sue-over-troubled-spark-plugs/nMkL2/

I have 2004 with the 5.4, when it neared the recommended 100,000 plug change time I inquired about having it done and was not only advised to not touch the plugs unless it was absolutely a necessity, but was also shown Ford's own service advisory on doing so. Don't take me wrong, I love my Fords, and my Subaru...but I don't want to see anyone else get into this situation if they can avoid it. The F-150 is still running strong on it's original plugs at 146,000 miles, I think the monthly trips to Amherst at 70 -75 mph might be keeping the plugs clean :)
Good luck...
Paul

brian kirby

Same here Paul, my '05 5.4 has the original plugs with 157k miles on them and it runs like new. I am not going to touch them until I have a very good reason to do so.

Brian
Brian