Watermelon Tank Cables

Started by tofriedel, December 07, 2012, 09:32:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tofriedel

I am in need of the cable set that holds the watermelon tank on the 1974.5 Penton.

Does anyone have a decent set they would part with?

Thanks

Tony
Tony

KJDonovan

Tony,

I found a set attached to a frame I had out back.  They could stand a good cleaning, but appear fully functional.  Picture is below.  Let me know if this is the type you are looking for and send me your mailing address and I will post them tomorrow.

Thanks,

Kevin

Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
72 Jack Piner (My Ride)
72 Six Day (Wifes Ride)
71 Suzuki TS125
73 Yamaha AT3
72 Montesa Cota 123
88 KTM GS250
Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
72 Jack Piner
72 Six Day
73 Hare Scrambler
74 Hare Scrambler
74 Mint

Daniel P. McEntee

I would be interested in seeing how these work. The two other project bikes I'm planning on  will probably both need something like this, and I had not gotten around to asking the question, so this is pretty timely. One bike has the large aluminum Hi-Point tank on it, and the leather strao won't fit, so I was thinking about this method with some modifications. These were used on the water melon tanks, I believe. I talked to Al Buehner about it at the Indy swap meet, and I don't think Al had anything. I would't need original stuff, just curious to see if it could be duplicated with off the shelf stuff from the hardware store?
   Thanks in advance,
    Dan McEntee

rob w

The gas tank retaining cables only came in one length.

Same worked on both the MX/MC tank, and the Enduro/Watermelon/GS tank.

The cables were only used on the 1974.5, and 1975 bikes.

In '76 the orange Cross Country models (same frame, but "toaster" style gas tank) went back to using a leather strap.

Daniel P. McEntee

Does anyone have a photo of what the ends of these things look like?The main portion of the cable looks like gray out cable housing for clutch or brake cables. I imagine that there is an eye formed on each end, a spring hooked on the eye, and the whole thing covered with the rubber sleeve leaving enough spring to stretch for attachment. Can you tell me the over all length from end to end? Again, I have a project bike with a large Hi Point aluminum tank, and the leather strap won't work with it., so I'm looking at making up something like this to secure the tank that will work well and look correct. I think I can make a reasonable copy if I can get the dimensions and a photo of howo the ends were constructed.
   Thanks a lot,
    Dan McEntee

Dale Sonnenschein

Dan,
The springs have a very short hook on the end. The cable part is a throttle/clutch/brake cable housing with a cable inside. The spring is tapered down on the cable end. There is a rubber sleeve that covers the end of the casing and most of the spring. My cables happen to be black. I'll try to send you a pic tonight.

74 puch 175 SD
73 Husky 360 WR/RT
76 Husky WR360
75 Penton 250
10 ktm 250xc
02 bmw r1150r

checkcrew

here is what they look like mounted on my 75 250 Harescrambler / Hi-Point Enduro tank

Mike Gallagher, NJ.
[email protected]
Mike Gallagher, NJ.
[email protected]

Daniel P. McEntee

Yeah!! That's what I want to do. My tank is a little different style. The gas cap is the same, but is further rearward. The hole in the leather strap doesn't line up. And picture two long "depressions" that had to be installed to clear Marzzochi fork legs. I think I can make the cables type to a custom length to fit my application and will look correct. This bike isn't in line to get worked on until next spring, but if I can work out any little detail like this along the way, then I'm that one step ahead. Easier to woork on little things in my crowded garage in the winter.
   Thanks a lot for all the help. Between the photos posted here and some that Dale is sending me, I think I'll have all the information I need.
   HAPPY HOLIDAYS!
  Dan McEntee