WANTED....dead or alive

Started by Paul Danik, December 19, 2012, 07:02:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Danik

I have asked this question before, but it has been awhile, and numerous Steel Tankers have surfaced in that time, maybe this time I will get lucky:)

The very first Penton I ever saw was being ridden by Tony John at his home in Butler, Pa, Bob Augustine has taken me along when he went to Tony's house to see it. Tony was the service manager at the time for the Fran Kupec Cycle Shop and they had just gotten their first shipment of Pentons in, so Tony took one home to check out.

Many, many years later, I mentioned to Tony that I wish I knew what the serial number was on that Penton. To my amazement Tony instantly said it was # 200, and he still had the Manufacturer's Statement of Origin for it, as well as the tag that was attached to the handlebars with the frame and engine serial number on it.

Tony sent me those items and I would like to someday locate that machine. The info on the tag is as follows.

Frame number V 0200

Motor number 5389184

The MSO is dated June 25, 1968.

If any of you have this bike or ever run into it, please let me know.

Thanks,
Paul

seanguthrie

Of all the 68 steal tankers I've come across since I've been bitten by the Penton bug back in 2005, I've had a chance to buy 3.  I bought 2 of them.  All were sub 500 bikes.  Somehow these low number ones seem to find me in Indiana.  I will keep a keen eye out for ya Paul.

74 250 Hare scramble
2 68 Six Day (projects)
74 250 Hare scramble
73 CMF 6day
68 6day V213

Daniel P. McEntee

I had a steel tank Berkshire back in the day but don't have record of the frame number. My friend that has a local parts shop has two, one is V-327 and the other is V-440. They are rough project bikes and I don't know how complete they are. One has a Japanese bike seat attached to it! My younger brother's Berkshire that I'm working on resurrecting is relatively "new" with a V-4746 number.
  Wish I had my first one back also!
  Happy Holidays!
  Dan McEntee

Dale Fisher

I usually inquire on the serial number whenever I see one listed.  Almost all never email, text, or return a call [V]

Dale Fisher
Penton Owners Group - Memberships
Facebook - Cheney Twinshock Racing Group - Administrator

1970 Six-Day 125
1971 Six-Day 125 (Dave Fisher's)
1973 Jackpiner 175
1974 Berkshire 100
And some silly other bikes...
Dale Fisher

Former POG President,
Memberships, and Merchandising - Retired
Mudlark Registry