Not Penton, but maybe Poggers can help

Started by Keith Meatyard, December 21, 2012, 07:39:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keith Meatyard

My nephew just bought a 74 Suzuki RL 250 Trials bike for tinkering with.  it needs a gas tank, magneto cover, and probably other misc parts.  He has helped me numerous times in the past, and I thought some of you might be able to help with parts, or know some good resources.  i checked Marks and eBay already.

Thanks and Merry Christmas to all,

Keith Meatyard
Keith Meatyard

marsattacks

The mag cover -- that is always cracked.  There is a nylon aftermarket cover--way better.  Try rl250.com or similar.  Good luck mine is dead reliable.

Mars Attacks!
72 Jackpiner
72 Jackpiner-in-a-box
74 Harescrambler
68 Planetary/Lunar Lander (very sadly, sold with Gamma death-ray to the Italians)
78 400 MC5 also sadly sold
79 space rock shox bike

Mars Attacks!
68 Planetary/Lunar Lander (very sadly, sold with Gamma death-ray to the Italians)
79 space rock shox bike

dennis brown

check with b+j racing in dickson,tn.bob deals with vintage trials bikes

dennis l.brown
dennis l.brown

Rob Thatcher

Actually, the TS250 engine covers fit the bike.  Easy to find on eBay that way or salvage yard. I got anything else either from Suzuki dealer or B&J Racing. They sell a plastic tank kit. I also recommend the flywheel weight, makes a huge difference.

Keith Meatyard

Thanks for the tips on those sites.  They seem to be the go-to site, and I have been checking them out already.  Looks like the gas tank is going to be the hard item to get.  Holler if you know of one.

Thanks,

Keith Meatyard
Keith Meatyard

Daniel P. McEntee

I've ridden a lot of vintage trials in the last ten years and Bob Ginder's Twin Shock series is a fun series. Haven't been able to get out much the last couple of years with life stuff getting in the way, but still have mt TY-250 in the shed for when I catch up. You don't see many Suzuki trials bikes. I think they were only made for a couple of years, and there was some kind of handling knock against them back in the day, but like a lot of things people have figured out cures for most problems and some guys have done well on them. The TS-250 engine is pretty much the same as far as I know, and you see LOTS of guys on trials bikes with all sorts of tanks on them. If you manage to find a RL-250 tank, I would fix it up and save it, then see if you can fins a TY-175 tank and adapt it. Similar shape, and the TY tank might be a bit heavier, but will fill the bill. They only made the TY-175 for a few years but there seems to be a lot more of them around than the Suzukis. I remember one guy with an Ossa MAR-250 that had a one gallon lawn mower tank of some kind rigged up. Not pretty but functional! If your budget allows, get a set of those Falcon shocks from Ginder, and a set of the new stickier trials tires and have a ball. Just those two items make a big different in handling on a vintage trials bike.
   MERRY CHRISTMAS!!
  Dan  McEntee

slvrbrdfxr

Keith,
This RL250 popped up here on Tulsa CL today. Looks pretty decent for the price. If I can help just let me know.
Dave McCullough

http://tulsa.craigslist.org/mcy/3477974672.html

marsattacks

Quotequote:Originally posted by Daniel P. McEntee

I I think they were only made for a couple of years, and there was some kind of handling knock against them back in the day, but like a lot of things people have figured out cures for most problems and some guys have done well on them.

Compare the fork rake the RL250 is way out there.  I heard back in the day it was  called the "chopper". Ha ha!:):D:)434491

Mars Attacks!
72 Jackpiner
72 Jackpiner-in-a-box
74 Harescrambler
79 space rock shox bike

Mars Attacks!
79 space rock shox bike

Rob Thatcher

I won several events, including Mid Ohio on mine.  Lowered the forks in  the clamps, good shocks, lowered foot peg mounts down and back, flywheel weight and good tires.  Worked as well as most bikes.  The weight keeps spinning down and allows idle with no surge.