'73 Hare Scrambler front suspension help needed

Started by Ernie Phillips, December 27, 2012, 09:36:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ernie Phillips

Need to fix front end - way too soft.  What spring rate and where to buy?  Other suggestions welcome.  Rider 180 lbs.  35mm forks.  Thanks,

Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN
Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN

SouthRider

Hey Ernie,

Race Tech got into vintage fork springs a few years ago. I haven't used them for springs - but there is a lot of info on their website. You might review it & then give them a call.

Clark

_____________________________________________________________________________________

"We the willing, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, that we are now qualified to do almost anything, with nothing."

1972 Penton Berkshire 100
1983 Husqvarna 250 XC
2011 Jayco 31.5 RLDS
2009 Chevy 2500 HD Duramax
_____________________________________________________________________________________

\\"We the willing, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, that we are now qualified to do almost anything, with nothing.\\"

1972 Penton Berkshire 100
1983 Husqvarna 250 XC
2011 Jayco 31.5 RLDS
2009 Chevy 2500 HD Duramax

Dale Fisher

They need OD of current spring, weight of machine with rider and gear.  Vintage springs have one specific length.  They furnish a plastic rod which is cut to length for pre-load.  I'll be looking for a set to go into the T100 before next season.

http://www.racetech.com/

Dale Fisher
Penton Owners Group - Memberships
Facebook - Cheney Twinshock Racing Group - Administrator

1970 Six-Day 125
1971 Six-Day 125 (Dave Fisher's)
1973 Jackpiner 175
1974 Berkshire 100
And some silly other bikes...
Dale Fisher

Former POG President,
Memberships, and Merchandising - Retired
Mudlark Registry

seanguthrie

I've been looking for the same.  Although yours, Ernie, looks to need much more attention than my current setup.  Penton low rider!

74 250 Hare scramble
2 68 Six Day (projects)
74 250 Hare scramble
73 CMF 6day
68 6day V213

brian kirby

I thought it felt pretty good the one time I rode it.

I have stock springs in all my Penton forks, but for my Canned Ham Betors I bought HD springs from Speed and Sport.

http://www.speedandsport.com/parts/shocks/

Brian
Brian

Ernie Phillips

Suspension might be ok for 140# tiny mite.  But, for 180# Kid it's too soft ...

Ps:  feet on pegs and tars on ground for proper ol' skool technique.  You could be disqualified if you mind your manners [8D]

Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN
Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN

derek martin

Looks like Brian popped a "Bubba Scrub" and the cameraman was at the right place at the right time.

brian kirby

The Kid has a factory '82 Husky 250 ride for next year.

Brian
Brian

rd400pi

Yeah, I'm thinking that will probably be a nice lookin' bike, too.[8D]

Mike H.
  Tulsa