SARACEN

Started by mad max, May 30, 2002, 05:35:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gooddirt

Thanks Dennis,  a 70 - 72 MX or enduro.

desmond197

I have some tricks on cleaning up the nickel plated frame. I should have some special abrasive cloth that works wonders available soon. Good for Sprite, Rickman, Saracen, Cheny, Trackmaster bikes. I thought I was going to have to replate my bike but it looks great and not too much work.

Dennis Jones

Larry, non of the articles I have mention an MX version, just trials and a few enduros. That doesn't mean they didn't though. PM me your address and I'll send you copies.

Dennis Jones
Dennis Jones

Dennis Jones

desmond if you are going to M-O I can bring you copies. I would like to hear about your nickel clean up method. The bike pictured has had the frame painted but I have a spare frame that looks pretty good.

Dennis Jones
Dennis Jones

Paul Danik

The write up on the Saracen in the spring of 1971 edition of Peterson's Motorcycle Sport Quarterly shows a 100cc Hodaka powered trials machine as well as the Sachs 125cc powered enduro and trials machines. Their is no mention of a MX model.

It states that the trials machine has a 52 inch wheelbase verses the enduro with 54 inches. Not sure where they made that difference in the wheelbase, possibly with the swingarm, if it did indeed exist.  It states that they had 15 dealers at the time and were hoping to produce 1500 machines yearly.

Hope this helps...
Paul

desmond197

Not going to make it to MO. Could you guys post frame numbers. I should have more info on pricing after a couple more experiments.I will post some pics if I could figure out how.

Dennis Jones

Interesting Saracen tidbits straight from the man. http://www.trialscentral.com/forums/forum/83-saracen/

I also have a roller enduro Saracen that I can measure and see where the difference, if any is.

Dennis Jones
Dennis Jones

Paul Danik

Dennis,

Thanks for that link, lots of good info right from the man who designed and build the bikes...That is awesome.

Paul

Dennis Jones

My Saracen trials serial # is 696067 with a 52 1/2" wheelbase and the enduro is #6960105 with a 53" wheelbase.

Dennis Jones
Dennis Jones

desmond197

Thanks Dennis Do you know the numbers if the steering head bearings. Much appreciated if you can get to them with out too much trouble. My bike is missing them

rob w

Dennis Jones

I give up! What is it?
Got any more pictures.

Dennis Jones
Dennis Jones

Dale Fisher

Desmond,
I sent you an email asking for some details on the polishing cloth.  There are a couple of advancing projects in the garage that could use something beyond Scotchbrite, steel wool, and Mothers chrome polish.

Dale Fisher
POG Membership
74 Berkshire 100
70 Six-Days 125
72 Jackpiner 175
Dale Fisher

Former POG President,
Memberships, and Merchandising - Retired
Mudlark Registry

Gordon Brennan

Probably a dumb question, but I like to know stuff.
Why is the nickel plated frame on the Sarecen lighter than a regular painted frame?
Paul Danik mentioned the nickel plated frame being light as a feather. Not disagreeing, just want to know why.

[email protected]

I was wondering if anyone happens to have an ad or an article on a bike I believe only sold in Canada and the U.S. called the Sprite Avenger in Canada but called the "Challenger" here in the U.S.
Terry Faust from Gemini distributing in Van Couver Canada was the importer of and distributor for these 125cc Hodaka powered bikes. I have a very very low hour bike but cannot locate any information on them other than what little I can find on the web.
Thanks
Paul