SARACEN

Started by mad max, May 30, 2002, 05:35:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mad max

HAS ANY ONE SEEN OR HEAR OF A SARACEN MOTOR CYCLE IT WAS MADE IN THE UK AND EXPORTED TO THE USA ABOUT THE SAME TIME AS THE WASSEL EARLY 70,S IT WAS FITTED WITH A SACH 125 GS ALLOY MOTOR ??????????????????????
e.mail. [email protected]

Paul Danik

Max,
  I have a Saracen.  It is a Sachs powered machine.  I believe mine is a 1969.  Can I help you with more info???
Paul

mad max

HI PAUL                        
IS YOUR SARACEN A MOTO X OR TRIALS BIKE ? IF YOU HAVE A 69 MODEL IT WILL HAVE A IORN BARREL SACHS MOTOR I WOULD LIKE TO SEE SOME PIC,S IF POSS I WOULD ALSO LIKE TO PURCHASE ONE BUT CANT FIND ONE HERE IN UK I WAS A WORKS RIDER FOR SARACEN M/X FROM 1969-1972 WHEN THE COMPANY WENT IN TO RECIVERSHIP AND CLOSED ANY INFO YOU HAVE WILL BE MOST INTERESTING e,mail [email protected]

Paul Danik

Max,  
The frame # is 6900969.  It has an alloy topend.  From what I have seen there really wasn't any difference it the MX and trials except for the footpeg location. My machine had the MX footpeg brackets on the frame under the engine, it also has the trials pegs mounted in some holes by the swingarm.  I have numerous write ups on those machines that I will copy and send you if you like.  The best write up is in "Classic British two-stroke Trials Bikes" by Don Morley. If you find that book buy it, it also has a great Wassell article.  The Saracen is praised as one of the best small bore trials machines.  They picture Jack Galloway and David Brand in the story, did you know them??
Paul
Email   [email protected]

Dennis Jones

Paul do you have any idea what the value of a nice restored trials model is? I know of one for sale. Thanks

Dennis Jones
Dennis Jones

Paul Danik

There is a guy out west who restores and rides Saracens.  He had one for sale for      $ 3,000.00 awhile back.  They are quite rare and really sweet to ride. The nickel plated frame is light as a feather. The condition of the plating is a factor in the value.
Paul

mad max

HI DENNIS  i would be greatfull for any informatoin on the wereabouts of a sarasen for sale mad max e,mail [email protected]

desmond197

There is a great article on the Saracen bikes in Motorcycle Competion Vol2 by Ariel Publishing. The guy that imports Classic bike is St Louis has them for sale $22.00

desmond197

I am also looking for Sprite, Wassel,Dalesman and Saracen bikes. I have vintage electric guitars to trade for bikes as well. The book I mentioned in the above post has a full color photo of the Saracen trial team on the cover and the article is 15 pages long with lots of grat photo's in a hardback book format. I think the US distributor is Classic Motorbooks in St. Louis MO.

mad max

Hey Desmond have you seen that there is a wasell / penton for sale on e,bay ??

desmond197

Thanks for the info but I just bought two Tyran MX bikes. The MX version of the Penton trials bike. My wife has started to put a limit on all the junk I buy.

gooddirt

Could use any help with some photos. thanks LG

Dennis Jones

What are you working on Larry? Here is a picture of the one I have, I also have a fair amount of literature on them. There were around 300 produced.

Dennis Jones
Dennis Jones

Lew Mayer

Nice, Dennis. You must have been hiding that one. It looks sweet.

Lew Mayer
Lew Mayer

desmond197

Old thread back from the dead. I purchased a Saracen trials gas tank many years ago. About 4 years ago a near complete roller minus the tank was for sale on Ebay for $99. Needless to say I bought it and an just getting to restoring the bike. The serial number is 00T00969. It is an early bike with an iron barrel motor. I can tell by the exhaust pipe that came with the bike which fits the 5 speed iron barrel. I have the stock bars too. I was working on it today as a matter of fact.

Question What tapered bearings fit the triple clamps?