nos Penton coat of arms jacket patch

Started by gooddirt, January 10, 2013, 02:45:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gooddirt

I have a new old stock patch for sell,  priceless ?  Rare ?  offers.

Kip Kern

Those were made by Wassell, pretty cool.  I had a bunch in my collection at one time, got them from Dane many years back.  These pop up on Ebay on occasion, just post Wassell and you can find them. Have fun

firstturn

Same here, mine came from Dane.  Great part of the Penton History.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

johnborn

I think i have one that I bought at Penton Honda back in the day.

Fred Deagostino

First off, that's a cool patch. I'd look pretty darn good on my new green Carhart jacket but it's too cool to use up now after surviving this long without old stitch damage.
 I've got a question though (of course). V416 ('68) had a sticker on the airbox with the same design. It was silver w/black graphics. Maybe 2"W x 2 1/2"H. The remnants were still on the bike right up until I just stripped it. I was always under the impression that it came on the bike when new. If so, and this is ringing a bell with anyone, is there one available out there somewhere so I can replace it when all is done?
 If you were to go back to my first posts under V416 there are pics of the bike as it came out of the barn that should show that sticker on the airbox. Just curious...!   Fred

V416 OneMoreTime
V416 OneMoreTime

Paul Danik

Fred,

My first Penton had that sticker on the airbox.  Now for the long....story..... Never can tell anything short...sorry about that.

When I got my first Penton it came with the short version of the airbox, just like yours. I ended up doing some scrambles with that Penton and took the heavy airbox off and replaced it with a filtron sock type of air cleaner. The airbox was placed on a nail in my little shop.

Fast forward about 30 years or so, Norm Miller was was working on Penton serial number V-001. He called and said that John Penton had provided him with a NOS Sachs engine, and that the bike was pretty much together, but an airbox was no where to be found.

I told Norm that if it wasn't him and V-001, my airbox wouldn't leave that nail. Off it went to Amherst and today that airbox is still on V-001.

V-001 was included in the display we did for the Dane Leimbach Memorial Hare Scrambles a few months back, I didn't pay particular attention to the airbox or decal, but it should still be there. I just found a photo of V-001, the decal is visible, just behind the rear pipe mount..

http://www.pentonusa.org/GalleryServerPro/default.aspx?moid=161&hr=1

That short airbox is technically incorrect on that machine, it should have the long one, just for the record.

The Penton Crest was also used on their very early white sweatshirt as well as on some of their later jerseys.  It was hard to reproduce cleanly so they moved away from it as the years went on.

There should be some of those foil decals around...

Sorry to ramble.

THANK YOU once again to Bill Smith for taking all of those wonderful pictures :)

Paul

Fred Deagostino

Sheesh Paul, if showing me pictures of V001 with my old missing sticker on it is rambling you just go right ahead and ramble.:D Good stuff!
Plus I'd forgotten that it was a foil sticker. Mine was completely illegible when I pried it off but I remembered how it looked. Back in the day they might have been a bear to  print but I'll bet now it could be done easily given a clean sample and a suitable material for the transfer.
I know a guy who'd been a professional printer/graphics guy. His shop is still intact I believe. I might just give him a ring and ask if that foil type material is still available. If it is he'd know. Hmmm.......just what I need, another tangent.[B)]  Fred      

V416 OneMoreTime
V416 OneMoreTime

Kip Kern

Paul  Check with Doug Wilford, he had that decal in his collection at one time.  I had a few but placed them on restored "68" Pentons.  The very first Penton Decal!:)

BobJones

Being an old history teacher I would like some history on the crest? Any stories?

Bob Jones
Show-me state
(2)74 Harescramblers,72 Jackpiner,68/69 6-Day,73 Harescrambler.

Bob Jones
Show-me state
(2)74 Harescramblers,72 Jackpiner,68/69 6-Day,73 Harescrambler.

thrownchain