Cool Old Bike Shops still in the USA

Started by Kip Kern, January 15, 2013, 08:02:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kip Kern

While out in sunny California visiting the kids this fall, I made it a habit to travel around and visit cool old bike/car shops.  This latest trip, I was honored to visit Bertus Jawa/CZ.  If you want to step back to the 70's and see a really cool shop and meet a fantastic host, stop by Bertus Jawa/CZ in La Puente California (I buy all my CZ stuff from him). Be sure to call first though!  Another fantastic shop in the East is Jake Fischer's place in Butler PA.  What a neat step back in time and what a great guy to visit with (call ahead also).  Anyone else out there have any cool bike/car locations to visit?  I am always on the road looking for great history.  Here in Indiana, we still have a Bultaco Shop that simply closed it's doors during the late 70's.  Inventory is still sitting in the glass show cases and on the shelves! I love to visit this place also.  So Cool[:p]

mike scholl

Kip,

I wish all the old cool shops were still around here but they all have disappeared.

As long as I have my memmory I will never forget Bill Carpenter Triumph. Lew's Cycle Ranch where I sat on a Mini Trail and instantly wanted one. Glenn Jordan Motorsports,Kigers Cycles,Hawks Cycles,Harolds Cycles,Honda East when Dick Klamfoth owned it. Joe Carson Honda(Still in business)but his old place was cooler..Mudd-Sweat&Gears and many more... but there are two that truly stand out in my mind...

Brookhart Cycles "Home of the Mudd Runners" Sox Brookhart is and always will be a legend.  

The coolest shop ever was J & J Cycles!!! It started in a small barn behind the house where I grew up and then the business moved down the street to a larger building that had three levels.... I wish it was still there..Good Times!

Mike Scholl

Team J&J Cycles

400gs6

Hogan's Cycle Shop in Agawam, Massachusetts is a must see if you're ever in the area.  Bob Hogan was a Bultaco dealer for years and is a wealth of information. Bob was very instrumental in the development of the Bultaco Alpina's by combining a Matador with a Sherpa.  Very nice guy.

Kurt
KURT FLACHBART

Gordon Brennan

Quotequote:Originally posted by 400gs6

Hogan's Cycle Shop in Agawam, Massachusetts is a must see if you're ever in the area.  Bob Hogan was a Bultaco dealer for years and is a wealth of information. Bob was very instrumental in the development of the Bultaco Alpina's by combining a Matador with a Sherpa.  Very nice guy.

Kurt

+1 Super nice guy with tons of great stories.

OhioTed

Bob Hogan is indeed a treasure.  Each time I talk with him I come away from the conversation chuckling.  Bob is just a fun guy.

tomale

I have a buddy who owns  Moto Centre  in Yakima wa. His doors have been open since 1980. You walk in his front door and its like stepping back. In time. Mostly he works on old husky's and Maico's.  he is my go to guy on Maico's. every time we talk I learn something new.

Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
76' 250 MC5 (orginal owner)
74' 1/2 440 maico
70' 400 maico (project)
72' cr125 Husky (project)
93' RMx 250 suzuki

Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W