Cleveland Cycle Show

Started by Al Martin, January 24, 2013, 08:07:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Al Martin

The cycle show at the IX Center in Cleveland is this weekend 1/25 - 1/27. Should be a great event. We will be in a new & bigger spot.. close to the Ferris Wheel. Don't miss this one!

ALB

I'll be there Friday evening, Saturday afternoon till closing, and Sunday afternoon till closing to help out manning the display.

It a great location this year - right behind the BMW display. Plans are to have a 250cc BMW (like the one that John rode) in our display and have it facing the BMW display. This is going to be fun!!!:D

Alan Buehner
Alan Buehner

Paul Danik

Every year that the Penton Owners Group has done a display at this show, Al Born has been an integral part of the set up, and manning of the booth. Heck, half the time it seemed like he knew half of the attendees from either racing with them at one time or another,  or possibly working with them at the Ford plant, as Al did for 50 years.

Al will be sorely missed as we pull our trucks and trailers into the IX Center this morning and start to put some order to the collection of machines that we will be displaying, which includes Al's Honda S-90 racer that John Born has graciously allowed us to display.

The Penton Owners Group display this year is dedicated to AL Born.

Paul

[email protected]

Paul that is a great idea. Al was a very special person. I have great thoughts about the times I had spent talking with him.
Class Guy !
Thanks
Paul

dennis brown

again pog put on a great display at motorcycle show in cleveland. john, tom and jack penton were there with paul danikand very interesting bikes thanks

dennis l.brown
dennis l.brown

Paul Danik

The Cleveland show was quite an awesome event. A number of folks stated that the POG display, which was chalk full of vintage machinery, was their favorite.

A few of the funnier things from the show...

Tom Worchester had filled his flat rear tire in the cold of the morning at home in an effort to get it to roll easier, well possibly  overfilled I should say.... By 7pm that evening while sitting in the POG display the air must have expanded a bit...and the tire blew out just as a bunch of folks were looking at his bike....the one lady even said she felt the blast of air  :D Man it was loud....

Tom Penton's story... Tom went to the KTM display to check out their new bikes. He found the one smaller machine to his liking as he could touch the ground while sitting in the seat.  He said he put on the front brake and started to work the suspension, rocking back and forth to see what it was like...about that time one of the KTM guys hollered that he should stop :) Tom said he stopped and got off the bike and came back to more friendly territory, POG ville. If only that KTM guy knew who he was scolding.

Sad story.   A husband and wife inquired about the whereabouts of Al Born, when I explained that Al had passed away they were both visibly shaken. They went on to explain how Al would take time to talk with them each year, the gal commented that she was heartbroken, I commented to her that we all were as well.

Paul

seanguthrie

That tire story is great.  I've never had one burst just sitting there, but a few times thought it could happen when we were at a show in a warm room.

That's a touching story about Mr. Born.  Although I never had the pleasure of meeting him I know the type and what they mean to people in the motorcycling community and to people in general.  I'm sure that couple took it pretty hard.  I know how it is going around to events every year and how forward I look to finding old friends to chat with.  If suddenly one or two of my favorites were gone it would be a stinger.

74 250 Hare scramble
2 68 Six Day (projects)
74 250 Hare scramble
73 CMF 6day
68 6day V213

Dale Fisher

Photo compliments of Don Roth via Pres. Paul of the IX booth [:0]
Don Roth contacted me and wanted the credit for the photograph to go to Tim Grubb.  Per Don "He rides a Beemer, but takes a good picture".

Dale Fisher
Penton Owners Group - Memberships
Facebook - Cheney Twinshock Racing Group - Administrator

'70 Six-Day 125 - V2017
'71 Six-Day 125 (Dave Fisher's) - V5553
'72 Mudlark - W257
'73 Jackpiner - 175 21159727
'74 Berkshire 100 - 40171056
And some silly other bikes...
Dale Fisher

Former POG President,
Memberships, and Merchandising - Retired
Mudlark Registry

Rob Thatcher

I really enjoyed talking to George about  his BMW and it's "enduro" modifications.  The booth looked great and it was nice to meet to Tom Penton and see all the familiar faces.

Paul Danik

OK all of you sharp eyed folks.... Who is the fellow looking at the POG display from directly behind the Max-Piner, just to the right of the vertical DUCATI, in a flannel shirt....

If you were there please hold back a bit....:)

Thanks,
Paul

thrownchain

Rob Thatcher

Correct answer.  He was working with me at the National Motorcycle Museum booth.

scott brogan

What a great time!  It was just what was needed to get us thru the winter. I had a lot of fun playing history teacher to a lot of
folks. Thanks to all my fellow Poggers for all the work and dedication that we put into these events. We motorcycle people truly are the best.

Jack Penton

Many thanks to those that helped with the POG show display. This is a labor of love that gives much joy and arouses fond memories for so many that attend the show.

Jack