Found this old picture

Started by Bob Bean, February 06, 2013, 09:37:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Bean

Found this old picture in some of my Moms boxes.
Mom Took lots of pictures back in the day, but she wasnt very good with a camera, bless her heart, so a lot of them were blurry, far a way or heads cut off.
This is one of only 2 or 3 that have my old Penton Six Day. That is me and the future Wife, Sharon.  I think we were 16- 17..
Can anyone ID what year the Penton is from this very poor photo ?

Bob Bean
[img

1986 ISDE Italy
1987 ISDE Poland
1989 ISDE Germany

1986 ISDE Italy
1987 ISDE Poland
1989 ISDE Germany

OUCWBOY

Not a lot of detail in the photo, but I can say it is a 70 or 71 for sure!

Donny Smith
Paragould, AR
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

Bob Bean

Donny,
 The picture was taken in 70.
I bought the 125 used.
Could it be a 69..?

I cant really remember what year it was ?

Bob

1986 ISDE Italy
1987 ISDE Poland
1989 ISDE Germany

1986 ISDE Italy
1987 ISDE Poland
1989 ISDE Germany

OUCWBOY

Bob, the 69's had the older Sachs engines in them, they were cast iron cylinders and the cylinders were painted black. The one in your photo is an aluminum cylinder, which were introduced in 1970. However, I think the 70 year models were first sold in late 69, but it was still considered a 1970 year model.

Donny Smith
Paragould, AR
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

johnborn

I believe the late 1969 bikes started to come with the aluminum cylinders installed on them.there is a link on the home page for production years that tells when changes were made.

OUCWBOY

John, I'm sure you are correct, but my dealer got a shipment in Sept 69 and all 4 were cast iron cylinders. The end of Oct 69 the next two were aluminum cylinders, but were listed as 1970 models.

Donny Smith
Paragould, AR
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

johnborn

On the state of ohio bmv website there is a link to do a title inquiry. you can search by vin number. the inquiry shows year, make, model, size, date of last title transfer and county the owner lives in.try it for the state you live in.

johnborn

Of course this would only work if you know the vin.

Bob Bean

I found out the original owner bought it in the late fall of 69.
He got it from Burroughs Cycle Shop.  I got it late 70

Bob

1986 ISDE Italy
1987 ISDE Poland
1989 ISDE Germany

1986 ISDE Italy
1987 ISDE Poland
1989 ISDE Germany

Kip Kern

Ira Burroughs had a neat shop, carried a lot of brands back in the day.  It went "to the winds" at auction after his death.  A real neat fellow.

OUCWBOY

So, I am betting it is an early 1970 year model. I had a 1969 and I wish that I'd kept it. Hind sight and all that.

Donny Smith
Paragould, AR
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

Bob Bean

Kip,
I worked for Ira when I was 15 -16 years old.. Got to ride
Zundapps, Ducatis, Triumphs, Greeves, Guzzis, Huskys, Pentons.

It was wild going from left shift/  right shift bikes, up for first
or down for first... Lots of different ones..
Going into a corner thinking you were putting the brakes on and instead, upshifting !   Woooo wooooo...
  Ira let me ride bikes when I didnt have one..  He hauled me to several races with him.  Paid for gas and entry fee..
  He was a great guy and I truly miss him....

Bob

1986 ISDE Italy
1987 ISDE Poland
1989 ISDE Germany

1986 ISDE Italy
1987 ISDE Poland
1989 ISDE Germany

Bob Bean

PS Kip,

I met my future wife at Ira's shop.   He was dating
her mother..

I gave sharon riding lessons on one of Ira's Scooters. (a Tina)
She promptly dumped us on the ground out back..
(maybe on purpose ? )
the rest is History.

Bob

1986 ISDE Italy
1987 ISDE Poland
1989 ISDE Germany

1986 ISDE Italy
1987 ISDE Poland
1989 ISDE Germany

Mick Milakovic

Where was Ira's shop?  I grew up in northwest Indiana and frequented Demotte Cycle Sales, Expert Motorcycle Works in Hobart, 7-11 Cycle in Chesterton, Buck's Cycle in Valparaiso, and I remember Burrough's shop but can't remember where it was.  Cool places........

Mick
Mick

OUCWBOY

Mick, Interesting post.  I could not assist in answering your question, but it made me think about the Dealers in town where I grew up in the mid 60's through early 70's. We had most of the brands covered by one dealer or another.
1. Mike Lewis Motors.  Penton, Honda, Triumph, Bultaco, Husqvarna, CZ/Jawa, American Eagle.
2. Boggs Cycle and Supply.  Yamaha, Suzuki and Kawasaki.
3. Williams Cycle Center.  BSA and Rickman.
4. Harley Davidson of Lawton. Harly
5. Neal Cycle.  Maico, DKW
6. Crazy Dave's Cycle.  Bridgestone, AJS, OSSA, Norton, Monark.
7. K & J Cycle.  Montesa, Yamaha, Suzuki (Suzuki and Yamaha were through another dealer source, as back then you were only allowed to have one dealer within so many miles of another).
8. Montgomery Ward. Mojave, and they sold more at that location than all other Montgomery Ward throughout the Nation. This was because a 250cc machine was only 299.00 and the 360cc was only 399.00. And they offered a 20% discount to members of the Military. This worked great as there were over 100,000 people stationed at Ft Sill.

Donny Smith
Paragould, AR
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR