Making cone pipe?

Started by Kevin Jury, February 20, 2013, 02:54:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin Jury

Hi all, I am making a cone pipe for my Hairscrambler and have a length for the header pipe, but now the tricky part, how do you measure the length of a mandrel bend (alredy bent header pipe)?
Any help is very welcome.
Thanks, Kevin.

scott brogan

Hello Kevin.  Not sure the answer but here is a link to a company that might be able to help. http://coneeng.com/index.html

Ed Chesnut

Here is what I was taught.  The header pipe length is the center-line length of the bend (plus any straight sections).  You can use math to derive the center-line length of the bend . . . or you can physically measure around the outside of the bend, then measure around the inside of the bend.  The average of those two physical  measurements is the center-line length of the bend.

Ed

Keep the rubber side down!

Ed Chesnut

Here is what I was taught.  The header pipe length is the center-line length of the bend (plus any straight sections).  You can use math to derive the center-line length of the bend . . . or you can physically measure around the outside of the bend, then measure around the inside of the bend.  The average of those two physical  measurements is the center-line length of the bend.

Ed

JP Morgen

I have all of the dimensions for the Hi-Point/Carl Cranke 250 pipe if anybody needs them.

Alan Mason

Go to "www.conelayout.com" and download their software program. Free to use for 21 days but then you have to purchase it. Just put in the cone diameter of each end, the angle of each end and the length and the program will draw it out for you to print as a template or the results can be transfered to autocad. Even prints the pattern over multiple sheets of paper from a regular printer. I used it to fabricate the whole back half of the mx pipe on my 1975 250 penton and it worked great. Alan :)

Jim Clayton

Alan, I chcked out Conelayout.com....and Ive just made myelf a new collector pipe for the exhaust on my car. I can see a few uses for this, so I'm gonna buy it. Thanks for posting the link !!:)