New AHRMA Helmet Requirements

Started by BlueRidgePathfinder, February 27, 2013, 05:26:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Knute

The wording of the handbook that Al has quoted does NOT state that the helmets must be Snell 2005 certified.  The rule is presented in an "either this, this, or this" format.  I believe, as both Al and Dave Lamberth do, that the rule is stating that EITHER DOT, Snell 2005-higher, OR FIM standards are acceptable.

Perhaps more importantly, as Brian pointed out, the polymers in a helmet age and 5 years is the typical rule-of-thumb regarding helmet life.  I know we all think of vintage racing as a low-key, safer form of racing, but the old noggin' deserves more protection than our beloved vintage gear offers.

TEAM PENTOVARNA
Kent Knudson
Kevin Brown
Gary & Toni Roach
James & Adam Giddings
Dennis & Cory Buttrick
Derick Kemper
Nicole Hays
Josh Gaitten
TEAM PENTOVARNA
Kent Knudson
Kevin Brown
Gary & Toni Roach
James & Adam Giddings

seanguthrie

Knute I would have to agree.  Hitting a tree head on at 20mph on a vintage or modern bike is still going to feel the same for the tree!

74 250 Hare scramble
2 68 Six Day (projects)
74 250 Hare scramble
73 CMF 6day
68 6day V213

pklinck

I'm still using my 500TX Bell helmet from mid 70s enduro racing. So, we could update the open faced helmet while maintaining the open face model as in the past as long as we have a chin strap.?

peter klinck
peter klinck

tomale

Hmm, interesting, In Feb. of this year, a new helmet came out, I saw an ad for it late last year and it sounds great. It is called the 6D helmet, what makes it unique is the fact that the inner helmet is attached to the outside shell by a series of suspension points that allow the inside to move alot more than a normal helmet. There have been several nasty crashes this year in supercross by riders wearing this helmet and all of them have come away with out a concussion. It has a Dot rating but not a snell rating . The reason is because it is too soft for a snell rating. Which as already been stated is better for off road use. I have a very nice helmet that I have used for the last few years but I think I am going to have to go back and see if it meets the current regulations, I would buy one of the 6D helmets but as I understand I will take a huge hit in the pocket book. Way more money than even the best conventional available helmets,  I seem to remember the cost being 750 dollars. sure my head is worth it and maybe I may have to do with a DOT helmet until I can afford the best. I was there the day that Decoster broke his nose when the front end of his works Suzuki came off, So you will never get me to wear anything but a full face helmet, unless it is for a trials event!
I went down hard last year at the Chehalis race when a certain ex pro took out my front wheel, I was wearing my DOT full face helmet and now that I know the difference between the two rating, I am glad I was not wearing my snell approved helmet. It is just too hard for all but the most serious crashes. Food for thought, there have been several Pro's that have been sidelined permanently because of a series of concussions, many of which were slight.  I wonder how that would have changed if the AMA took into consideration the kind of crashes that happen in off road racing and how it differs from those on a road race course? Better is not always better!;)

Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
76' 250 MC5 (orginal owner)
74' 1/2 440 maico
70' 400 maico (project)
72' cr125 Husky (project)
93' RMx 250 suzuki

Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

derek martin

I bought one of the $149.95 eBay JT ALS-02 helmets to displace my now non-compliant Bell Moto 7. I'm happy with its build quality at this price level and it does have the look of the JT helmet popular in the 80s. The sizing may run a little small as my Moto 7 was a XL and fit great and by going by the JT sizing chart based on my head measurements I should have bought a size L in the JT. I bought an XL as I was on the upper end of the L size range and am glad I did.

Dwight Rudder

The AHRMA RULE is :  DOT,(and,Or)Snell 2005, or current FIM certification. ECE is an excellent certification that is recognized and actually prefered over Snell. If your helmet is DOT certified than it is OK for offroad competition. AHRMA or AMA. Snell is not good for Offroad. Impacts are most commonly at less speeds and a Snell helmet can actually do more damage than protect.

pklinck

Guys,

I have been using my 500TX open faced Bell helmet from the late 60s even today.  

However, since I am thinking of racing in AHRMA, I discovered on-line there are several modern helmet brands with at least one of the 3 safety approval ratings and still open faced so you can snap your old vintage visors on them.

I decided to buy on-line a new 500 series Bell helmet DOT approved but open faced and fit the vintage visor snap positions.  My old 500TX is ok to go on leasure rides, but I took the point seriously win modernizing and still keeping the vintage look. I can add a mouth garde too.  Good luck everyone.

peter klinck
peter klinck

Dwight Rudder

your parts unlimited dealer sells Z1R helmets that look classic. Called the Jimmy Retro. 3/4 open face.

pklinck

Brian and all,

I just bought a new open faced Bell helmet, "custom 500 Helmet".   They are marked down to 99 bucks from 140.  I saw white and silver colors too.  Very nice and my old duck bill snapped right on to it.

The supplier is MotorcycleSuperstore in Louisville, KY. Toll free: 877668-6872.  Or check the website:[email protected].  Good Luck

peter klinck
peter klinck