Changing Tires

Started by Mick Milakovic, March 03, 2013, 05:31:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mick Milakovic

Hi All, first I'll admit I think I'm the worst tire changer, ever! What's your secret for not pinching tubes with tire irons/screwdrivers?  Here's what I'm using:  18" long irons from Harbor Freight:

Mick
Mick

brian kirby

Two things:

Put a LITTLE bit of air in the tube, just enough to unfold it so its round, that will help keep it out of the way of the iron.

Never push the iron too far, take small "bites" and stomp the tire on with your feet (wear good boots), never push the iron so far that the tip hits the inside of the rim.

Brian
Brian

Mick Milakovic

Thanks Brian, I try to be conscious of how far the iron goes in, I even try to feel where the tube is with a finger  before I apply pressure.  I also lube the tire with a mixture of water/dish soap to make it slide on and seal.  I'mm still not very good at it!

Mick
Mick

brian kirby

Try the stomp method as much as possible. On a new soft front tire I can almost completely mount it just stomping on it. Even on a rear though, I usually only have to use iron for the last third of the tire.

Brian
Brian

DKWRACER

Helps to sprinkle some talcum powder on the tube and the inside of the tire[8D]LT
Thomas Brosius

Mick Milakovic

Tom, thats a great idea.  I just saw a YouTube video of Kevin Windham's mechanic doing just that!  Windham's tire was so soft and pliable it looked easy.  

My frustration rests in two tires:  a Vee Rubber that's 6-ply, just a BEAR to get on and off, and a Michelin Starcross with the deepest bead I've ever seen (also a tough tire).  I've brought the tires inside, even set them next to a heater and they're tough.  This weekend I tried three tires, and the only one I was successful with was on old (but new) Cheng Shin that was also soft and pliable.

Mick
Mick

thrownchain

off with the irons, on with a rubber mallet. Takes practice, but works for me.

brian kirby

I do the same thing, but stomp instead of a rubber mallet, same idea though.

Brian
Brian

G Ellis

Mick I am heading over in 2 weeks, I can do it then.:D

skiracer

run mousse, and never pinch another tube! [8D]

1976 MC 5 Original Owner
1976 Hercules 250 GS
1982 Suzuki PE 175
2002 KTM 200 EXC
1976 Penton 175 GS
1976 250 MC5 Original Owner
1976 Penton 175 XC
1977 250 GS6
@flyracingusa

Richard Terry

Ensure that your bead is in the recessed area of the rim, where the spokes are. That makes the last 1/3rd easier to go on.

Mick Milakovic

Skiracer, by Mousse, do you mean tire balls?  Those things are pretty expensive and out of my league.

Gary, what are you coming over for?  I'll call you tonight.

Mick
Mick

rob w

Quotequote:Originally posted by Mick Milakovic

Gary, what are you coming over for?  I'll call you tonight.

Mick

Let me take a shot at this one - um...because there's a swap meet happening in your neighborhood.

Mick Milakovic

Oh yea [:I] and a supercross, but I'm probably not going this year.

Mick
Mick

hotrod392

The comment I would throw in is that those tire irons are WAY too sharp. Take a file, sander etc and make all the sharp edges really round. if they are sharp, its much easier to cut a tube. I also use a tire lubricant from NAPA that makes tough tires slide much easier.

Shane