2013 Leroy Winters Memorial ISDT Reunion Ride

Started by Gordon Brennan, March 13, 2013, 03:44:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brian kirby

There is nothing illegal with the procedure Moto Recycle does, no reason to hide what we are doing.

Brian
Brian

Rob Thatcher

Yes, I plan on transferring title to my state and getting a historic tag, as legally applied. And yes, the process is legal.

Gordon Brennan

Didn't mean to ruffle any feathers. I believe I mis-spoke in regards to you folks in Ohio. Here in New England there's always someone looking for trouble. Nothing's ever right when you're trying to do something different, but legal, at the DMV. Seems hard to believe, but they appear to enjoy finding something wrong. And as far as having a plate and asked questions about your bike, there will most likely be something wrong with what you have.
Must be the water.

brian kirby

I know what you mean Gordon, I lived in California and it was like that. It didnt matter if it was perfectly legal, if it was different than they were used to seeing at the DMV, it was bad.

Brian
Brian

Dale Sonnenschein

I'm not sure how long it takes in other states, but i just transfered a title for my husky from IL to NY. I did it the first week of january and I still haven't got my title yet. The woman at DMV told me out of state titles take up to 12 weeks to transfer.
Just sayin

74 puch 175 SD
73 Husky 360 WR/RT
76 Husky WR360
75 Penton 250
10 ktm 250xc
02 bmw r1150r

rd400pi

I will admit that I don't have any experience with getting my bike sound checked.  I did a little "Interweb" searching on the SAE J1287 Sound Standard.  This standard seems to be oriented for more modern bikes than let's say, a 1973 Penton.  Are there provisions for older bikes like the previous 99dB or the like?  Is this ride being approached as an "Historic" event or "Antique" gathering?  Take for example a group like a Model T club or 1932 Ford club.  Don't these antique vehicles have different licensing requirements than a modern car?  They obviously didn't come with 3rd brake lights or catalytic converters back in the day.  I do agree with quiet is better, no question but, I wonder if the 96 dB is remotely achievable with my 1973 250 Penton HS or 1983 IT250 for that matter.  To say it's a big undertaking by the average POGGER to make this ride is a fair understatement.  Just keeping the conversation going...:D

Mike H.
  Tulsa

pklinck

My simple questionis, for those that raced in the past, did the cmf pentons 72-75 pass a 96db sound test??  If not, an old inner tube on the end of the muffler and or rubber discs between the cylinder (or strips of inner tube rubbre around the fins )would be sufficent??

peter klinck
peter klinck

Rain Man

I cant wait till someone ask about forestry approved mufflers too[:0]  I know all my woods bikes are quiet and there using the standard Penton issue exhaust and spark arrestor

Raymond
 Down East Pentons
Raymond
 Down East Pentons

pklinck

Brian, Derek, Rob,

I live in Vermont and I think as I understand it, you simply had to register and insure your bike.  I think you can do that in any State.??  Netra did not mention inspection of those bikes as a requirement to enter.  That is the riders choice and thought.

peter klinck
peter klinck

derek martin

To register a bike in my state you have to have first a title that is not stamped "Not Eligible For Registration" . To get said title when the bike either had no title to begin with or the title was lost years ago by the original owner and all you have is a bill of sale is pretty tough if not bureaucratically impossible except evidently in some states (Vermont). To drive all the way to Massachusetts hoping you'll be OK with a fake tag is a pretty risky bet.

brian kirby

They can require the bike to be legally tagged and registered in the state you are from, but if the state you come from does not require insurance, they can not force you to have it. They are probably not aware that some states dont require insurance on motorcycles.

Brian
Brian

Gordon Brennan

We're a little fortunate here. No title needed for any bike over 25 years old.
I remember being at VMD and seeing big advertisement signs for 'Titles' on the backs of bikes riding around the swap meet. Can't be a fun process searching for one.

pklinck

Derek/Brian,

Yes, in Vt. like some other States, a "bill of sale" is sufficient.

It will be tough if no insurance is required in a State but NETRA mandates it in Mass.??  Check on this.  However, 100 bucks or less you can find the cheapest liability insurance and that will do it.

peter klinck
peter klinck

pklinck

Brian,

Some riders could check with those who raced in the 30th ISDTRR in 2003 in Mass. whether ot not if a State you have registered a bike which does not require liability insurance, needs to get ins.?  I'm sure a call to AHRMA would answer that question.

peter klinck
peter klinck

steve erickson

We've pre-ridden the Saturday AM and PM loops. Some of it is like riding on virgin trail, other trails have clearly shown the lack of maintenance that NETRA members used to do up in Savoy Forest.
We may have lost some trail, but we'll see.

To top it all off, man it is wet up there right now! Whew!!!

Heading up tomorrow for a pre-ride of day two's course, and to recheck some stuff we found on the first pre-ride.

I'll stay in touch.