2013 Leroy Winters Memorial ISDT Reunion Ride

Started by Gordon Brennan, March 13, 2013, 03:44:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gordon Brennan

Thanks for the update Steve. Quite a bit more rain on the way for next week too!
Thanks again for all your hard work. Keep us posted.

steve erickson

Yesterday's pre-ride of Sunday's loop was a bit of a disappointment. If some of you remember 2003's Sunday loop we took you north to a special test hill climb that had quite a lot of spectators on it. It WAS a fun section. Yesterday we rode it to hopefully use it again this year. What a washed out mess. It's impassable. Huge exposed rock and a rock face step up that left us pulling each bike up.
Oh well. We'll move the test and re-route around it. It was a section used in 1973. What a shame.

pklinck

LET'S PUT A SUMMARY TOGETHER OF ALL THE SOLUTIONS TO PASS THE 96d TEST BELOW AND OTHER CONCERNS:

1.)put your leg tight to the tank blocking some noise from the cylinder to the meter.
2.)attach a piece of inner tube to the end of the muffler using a large hose clamp.  it should be about 10 to 12' long (?).
If your are going, bring and have another piece of inner tube if you have it for someone who does not pass the db test.
3.)shift earlier into the next gear.
4.)show a bike registration card and plate on the bike.  If a State you come from does not require insurance, I believe you will not have to have it.  Call the AHARMA guys.  They expect riders to comply but they are not going to go digging like a policeman.  
5.)check from the 2003 riders on how they solved the registration and sound issues.
6.)lighting: have the light parts on the bike.  There are plenty of street legal bikes on the road that have a tail light or head light that don't work and yes, if they got stopped, they would be asked to fix it as soon as possible getting some kind of notice.
7.)put strips of rubber on your cylinder head to reduce the noise.
8.)install cut old pieces of radiator hose between the cylinder fins. Wedge them in there or just purchase a couple of feet at the auto parts store.
9.) there are surely other solutions which I did not include.
Hang in there Brian, Pete P., Derek and all.

peter klinck
peter klinck

wfopete

Carry a roll of $20 bills.  These are sometimes handy in getting past a sound test or registration.  Tell whoever may be questioning your motives that it is a donation to their favorite charity.  :)

Pete Petrick
175 Jackpiner
Slow but Good
Pete Petrick
175 Jackpiner
Slow but Good

rd400pi

Quotequote:Originally posted by wfopete

Carry a roll of $20 bills.  These are sometimes handy in getting past a sound test or registration.  Tell whoever may be questioning your motives that it is a donation to their favorite charity.  :)

Ok, now I get it!!  Kind of like getting pulled over in Mexico!  Cheers.:D

Mike H.
Tulsa

Pete Petrick
175 Jackpiner
Slow but Good

pklinck

I have a 73 penton 125 and would like to know if someone younger wants race it in motocross at the ISDTRR in North Adams, Mass. on the second day, the 25th?  I am bringing 2 125s to the event.

Let me know or spread the word if you know someone who may be interested.

peter klinck
peter klinck

jeff greenberg

Peter, that's a great offer! I'd be  on that like a starvin' man on a Christmas ham!  Only if I lived closer. :-))
Jeff
Scottsdale, Az

rob w

Quotequote:Originally posted by Jeff Greenberg

Peter, that's a great offer! I'd be  on that like a starvin' man on a Christmas ham!  Only if I lived closer. :-))
Jeff
Scottsdale, Az

Jeff D

Define "younger" :)  If you're looking for a ghost rider for your bike, I'll be glad to scoot it around the track for you so long as you don't expect to see it first at the checkered flag.

Jeff DeBell
Jeff DeBell

jeff greenberg

Rob, thanks for diggin that little bit of history up!!  Wow,brought back great memories for sure. I even sent it ti my pal Jeff Piasecki.
It sure would be cool to reconnect with Mark Outland. Looks like we are the only two left in that  100 class :-(.    

steve erickson

All 3 loops are finalized. Just a little more trail work and we'll be ready.

Thanks to all my club members who participated in the pre rides and trail work party's so far.

Here's a couple of helmet cam previews for you.

Saturday's Loop > http://youtu.be/YfsPmXyMbG4 Sunday's Loop > http://youtu.be/O2FF6uLsObU

Gordon Brennan

Not sure if this has been asked, but I'm curious what folks will be bringing with them on the ride and what types of carriers will be used.
For example: extra plug(s), tools, how many, what types, tube(s) water. And also, how you will be carrying your parts and tools; back pack, fanny pack, bike rack; basically what and how?

pklinck, thanks for the summary of quieting the bikes.

Jeff D

I always tend to "overpack", a throwback to the old days when the mantra was "if you have a spare with you, the part won't break in the first place"...ie. if you carry a couple of extra plugs you won't foul one, but the first time you ride without one you'll find yourself dead in the water.  But...expendables are a lot better quality these days, so if, for example, you've got fairly new cables, routing or carrying spares is probably unnecessary for an event as short as the Reunion Ride.  
I still overpack and carry a fanny pack with an assortment of metric wrenches, allen wrenches if those are needed, crescent wrench, vise grips, screwdrivers, pliers, electrical tape, baling wire, spare plug(s), zip ties, a couple of grease rags, tire irons, master link (s) and anything else I can think of.  If you are going to carry a spare tube, pack a 21-incher.  You can stuff it in your 18-inch rear and it will work just fine until you can change it out...or you can do as I did, put one in at the Ohio Reunion Ride and forget it is in there until you change your rear tire almost 2 years later!

Jeff DeBell
Jeff DeBell

rob w

Dale Fisher

Bob,
My contribution to the Michigan contingent complete ;)

Dale Fisher
Penton Owners Group - Memberships
Facebook - Cheney Twinshock Racing Group - Administrator

'70 Six-Day 125 - V2017
'71 Six-Day 125 (Dave Fisher's) - V5553
'72 Mudlark - W257
'73 Jackpiner - 175 21159727
'74 Berkshire 100 - 40171056
And some silly other bikes...
Dale Fisher

Former POG President,
Memberships, and Merchandising - Retired