2013 Leroy Winters Memorial ISDT Reunion Ride

Started by Gordon Brennan, March 13, 2013, 03:44:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frederick Stone

Quotequote:Originally posted by Michael Thompson

Are there any available shirts for purchase?

All 200 printed t-shirts are gone. We may be having some more printed. I will keep you posted.

Michael Thompson

Thank you Fred!:D
Quotequote:Originally posted by Frederick Stone

Quotequote:Originally posted by Michael Thompson

Are there any available shirts for purchase?

All 200 printed t-shirts are gone. We may be having some more printed. I will keep you posted.

[email protected]
2003 KTM 300exc
1997.5 KTM 200 "Jackpine"
1983 KTM 495
1977 KTM 250 MC5
1975 Penton Hairscrambler
1992 Yamaha WR200
1986 HONDA Z50 My first bike
1974 Suzuki RL250
[email protected]
2010 KTM 990 Adventure
1975 Penton 250 Hairscrambler
2018 Suzuki Rmz450
1982 Honda cr480
2008 Yamaha yz250
1996 Honda cr250
1998 Suzuki rm250
1988 Suzuki rm250
1978 Suzuki rm400
1973 Suzuki ts100

johnborn

I WOULD LIKE ONE ALSO IF YOU PRINT MORE,THANKS.

tlanders

It was a most wonderful weekend and it was glorious to finish the Berkshire after 42 years on the same Penton steel tanker Six Day. I bought my steel tanker new in January 1971, I was 29 years old. In the 1971 Bershire International Two Day Trial, there were 129 riders entered in the 125cc class and only 29 of us finished the first day which was 195 miles long. Midway through the second day, my arms had turned to marshmellows and I had to call it a day for safeties sake. I guess sitting at a desk all week long, every week, didn't properly prepare me for a two day enduro. After the adrenaline stopped flowing, I couldn't turn the key in the ignition of the car for two days, Rosemary drove us back to Ann Arbor, Michigan across Canada.

I thought it would be a great idea (even though everyone told me not to do it) to ride the weekend on the same bike I rode in 1971. It still has the orange paint on the major components that were put on it at tech inspection in 1971 before putting the bike in the impound. I felt like a tortoise last weekend, but the goal was to finish and the Penton did the job. Now I can retire the bike - I put the medal on the bike in the barn!!!

Rosemary was in her element at the banquet, she had a great time. She did a terrific job of putting together collages of pictures on large posterboard from 1971, 1973, 2003 etc. I think there were 10 posterboards in all. Thank you for all the appreciation that you gave her. Teddy

pklinck

Ted,

That was a great thing you did and many POG members have appreciated the fact that you rode your 71 steel tanker.  I agree, one has to get in shape a little before a race.  I had for 2 weeks prior to the ISDTRR in Mass. jog, do arm and hand weight exercises.

That was impressive that there were over a 100 riders in the 125 class alone at the Berkshire event 42 years ago. Our friends and family members can be discouraging at times when it comes to 2 wheel events at the older age.

ISDTRR Rider no.223
penton 125, transport 51'tk

peter klinck
peter klinck

Gordon Brennan

Congrats to you Ted. That is quite an accomplishment!

Does anyone here know if a video was made of this event, like Duchin Productions made, back in 2003? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywR9y2rJwb4
I'm hoping some video from this event will appear in John's upcoming movie as well.

Michael Thompson

I hope they made a video. The 2003 video is a must have!
Quotequote:Originally posted by Gordon Brennan

Does anyone here know if a video was made of this event, like Duchin Productions made, back in 2003? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywR9y2rJwb4
I'm hoping some video from this event will appear in John's upcoming movie as well.

[email protected]
2003 KTM 300exc
1983 KTM 495
1977 KTM 250 MC5
1992 Yamaha WR200
1974 Suzuki RL250
[email protected]
2010 KTM 990 Adventure
2018 Suzuki Rmz450
1982 Honda cr480
2008 Yamaha yz250
1996 Honda cr250
1998 Suzuki rm250
1988 Suzuki rm250
1978 Suzuki rm400
1973 Suzuki ts100

tlanders

Thanks guys. Rosemary is hoping they made a video also. Who was the guy showing the pictures at the banquet? We should be able to get pictures from him right? Teddy

tlanders

It was a most wonderful weekend and it was glorious to finish the Berkshire after 42 years on the same Penton steel tanker Six Day. I bought my steel tanker new in January 1971, I was 29 years old. In the 1971 Bershire International Two Day Trial, there were 129 riders entered in the 125cc class and only 29 of us finished the first day which was 195 miles long. Midway through the second day, my arms had turned to marshmellows and I had to call it a day for safeties sake. I guess sitting at a desk all week long, every week, didn't properly prepare me for a two day enduro. After the adrenaline stopped flowing, I couldn't turn the key in the ignition of the car for two days, Rosemary drove us back to Ann Arbor, Michigan across Canada.

I thought it would be a great idea (even though everyone told me not to do it) to ride the weekend on the same bike I rode in 1971. It still has the orange paint on the major components that were put on it at tech inspection in 1971 before putting the bike in the impound. I felt like a tortoise last weekend, but the goal was to finish and the Penton did the job. Now I can retire the bike - I put the medal on the bike in the barn!!!

Rosemary was in her element at the banquet, she had a great time. She did a terrific job of putting together collages of pictures on large posterboard from 1971, 1973, 2003 etc. I think there were 10 posterboards in all. Thank you for all the appreciation that you gave her. Teddy

pklinck

Ted,

That was a great thing you did and many POG members have appreciated the fact that you rode your 71 steel tanker.  I agree, one has to get in shape a little before a race.  I had for 2 weeks prior to the ISDTRR in Mass. jog, do arm and hand weight exercises.

That was impressive that there were over a 100 riders in the 125 class alone at the Berkshire event 42 years ago. Our friends and family members can be discouraging at times when it comes to 2 wheel events at the older age.

ISDTRR Rider no.223
penton 125, transport 51'tk

peter klinck
peter klinck

Gordon Brennan

Michael Thompson

I hope they made a video. The 2003 video is a must have!
Quotequote:Originally posted by Gordon Brennan

[email protected]
2003 KTM 300exc
1983 KTM 495
1977 KTM 250 MC5
1992 Yamaha WR200
1974 Suzuki RL250
[email protected]
2010 KTM 990 Adventure
2018 Suzuki Rmz450
1982 Honda cr480
2008 Yamaha yz250
1996 Honda cr250
1998 Suzuki rm250
1988 Suzuki rm250
1978 Suzuki rm400
1973 Suzuki ts100

tlanders

Thanks guys. Rosemary is hoping they made a video also. Who was the guy showing the pictures at the banquet? We should be able to get pictures from him right? Teddy

slvrbrdfxr

Hi all,
I had a great time up in MA this year at the ISDT RR !! My thanks to the Pathfinders MC, Stateline Riders and the Hollerich family for hosting this year. This was my 10th straight year to ride in this event and its always something I look forward to because I get to ride it with my brother. The trail sections this year were a blast and I really enjoyed the challenge they gave us with those technical terrain tests through the rocks. I love my Pentons but sure was glad to have the extra suspension my Yamaha IT200 provided in the PV200 Int class. My hat is off to Teddy Landers and all the others who rode in the vintage classes this year because they certainly earned their medals !! I'm already looking forward to 2014 as this will mark the 20th anniversary of the 1994 ISDE held at the John Zink Ranch just west of Tulsa, OK. As a member of the Tulsa Trailriders, I'd like to invite everyone to come help us celebrate this milestone by riding with us at the Zink Ranch once again next year. The date we have chosen for next year's ISDT RR will be Oct. 24-26, 2014 so please mark your calendars. I'll be posting more details in the coming months as they become available. I'm hoping we'll get a great turnout of veterans once more and I'd really like to get as many veterans as possible who actually rode the 1994 ISDE to attend so please be sure to pass the word. If anyone has any questions concerning next year at Zink please don't hesitate to contact me. Once again, a huge thanks to the Pahtfinders MC, Stateline Riders and the Hollerich family for all the hard work they put in to make for such an enjoyable weekend this year in MA !!
Dave McCullough

Gordon Brennan

Quotequote:Originally posted by Frederick Stone

In case you missed the event, Commemorative Programs from the Reunion Ride are available for purchase online. Thank you for your kind words and continued support!

http://www.pathfindersmc.org/isdtstore.php

I just got mine in the mail.
The Commemorative Program above is loaded with great stories from the 60's and 70's Berkshire Trials and ISDT events. Many of them include John Penton and other .... "experienced" POG members, from back in the day. Great stories from cover to cover and much of them revolving around the Penton brand.
I never realized how grueling the Berkshire was. In 1970 450 riders sighned up and only 43 completed the event!! Here's a quote from that years event. "Penton teams took home both the club and trade team trophies, proving the competition fitness of John Penton's lightweight creations."
This is probably my favorite read of the year!! 60 pages of great stories.
Thanks for offering it even after the event was over.