sanity check on spokes 1968

Started by Fred Deagostino, March 15, 2013, 07:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fred Deagostino

V416 does not seem to have any offset on it's stock wheels and hubs although there are slight length variations on the few spokes I've removed from both front and rear wheels. Are my early observations correct?
 I need to find a set of spokes for the 21" front (MZ) and a set of nipples for both wheels. I'm thinking Buchannon at present but do not want to break the wheels down for clean, straighten, and polish until I know what I have and what I'm asking for regardless of the supplier.
 Thanks in advance all..!  Cheers, Fred

V416 OneMoreTime
V416 OneMoreTime

thrownchain

There are 2 different types of spokes, "inside" and "outside". Name denotes where they are on the hub, outside spokes will just slightly longer. Spokes can be slightly different in length as long as they don't protrude from the nipple on the tube side. If they do, you can grind them back flush with the nipple. Use a good quality rim strip also.

Fred Deagostino

Thanks Throwchain, and sorry for the delayed response. I've been offline for almost a week but work continues.
I see what you mean about the inners and outers and using past posts went to Angel at Buchannon who had all the info on my wheels. 'Nice guy too.
Currently, according to his instructions, I have four spokes from each wheel labeled accordingly and ready to ship with rims and hubs when I'm done cleaning and polishing. I've seen similar encrustations on items raised from Spanish ships. If I were any type of decent POG member I would have given everyone a heads up advising all to invest heavily in both Anheiser Busch and RJ Reynold's during this process. Their stock prices should be spiking by early next week if they haven't already!:D
Thanks again..., Fred

V416 OneMoreTime
V416 OneMoreTime

socalmx

Don't use a rim strap since they can break and are a pain to work with. I have always used multiple wrappings of black plastic electrical tape on my rims.