Mark's VMX MP Penton Honda

Started by Dale Fisher, March 19, 2013, 07:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dale Fisher

See attached information on the Penton Honda for sale.

Dale Fisher
Penton Owners Group - Memberships
Facebook - Cheney Twinshock Racing Group - Administrator

'70 Six-Day 125 - V2017
'71 Six-Day 125 (Dave Fisher's) - V5553
'72 Mudlark - W257
'73 Jackpiner - 175 21159727
'74 Berkshire 100 - 40171056
And some silly other bikes...
Dale Fisher

Former POG President,
Memberships, and Merchandising - Retired
Mudlark Registry

JP Morgen

It is not classic 125 legal with an electronic ignition,otherwise a cool bike.

seanguthrie

V098 steel tanker had that same motor in it when I found it.  This looks like a much better aplication than a '68 six day for that engine.

74 250 Hare scramble
73 CMF 6day
68 6day V213
74 250 Hare scramble
73 CMF 6day
68 6day V213

t20sl

Doubt it has electronic ignition.  Points wire looks OEM and still has a condensor mouted to coil.  Definitely too loud!
Ted

socalmx

Don't like, the Honda SL100/125 engine was always a dog no matter how much you put into it. I remember putting a SL100 in a Rickman frame and how it never was right.

Kip Kern

socalmx

I had a 1971 SL100 that I use to race way back when. It had the following:
Sig Erson cam with rocker arms ground down to lighten up
Head opened up a bit
Webco manifold with Honda 305 carb
Filtron sock air filter
Poweroll high compression piston
Bassani reverse cone megaphone pipe/silencer

When ran against a Hodaka, Sachs, or Harley Baja it always got dusted badly. Bike rev'd alot and made alot of noise but that's about it.

If anyone was ever at Ascot Park motocross, they would have seen Bruce Baron on a factory 4 stroke 125 get beat very badly week after week by Chuck Bower and Bruce McDougall on their Mettco Pentons.

socalmx

I forgot to mention that the only Honda 100 4 strokes that did well at Ascot were the ones that were bored out to around 150cc and ran as cheaters.

Dale Fisher

Haven't seen the Johnstone's on their Honda's I assume.  Not much beats them off the line.

Dale Fisher
Penton Owners Group - Memberships
Facebook - Cheney Twinshock Racing Group - Administrator

'70 Six-Day 125 - V2017
'71 Six-Day 125 (Dave Fisher's) - V5553
'72 Mudlark - W257
'73 Jackpiner - 175 21159727
'74 Berkshire 100 - 40171056
And some silly other bikes...
Dale Fisher

Former POG President,
Memberships, and Merchandising - Retired
Mudlark Registry

clayman

I remember back in 1973 I had a Rickman Zundapp. The Zundapp motor blew so we put a pumped up Honda SL 125 motor in it. The Elsinores had just come out and I was trying to race this bike in the 125 Expert class and got smoked. I could have got off the bike and ran faster than the Rickman Honda! The only way I stood a chance was on a muddy day.

OUCWBOY

Well I never had a SL 125 Honda, but I did have a S 90 that would blow the doors off most Hodakas on a short track. I did have problems with the Hodakas with the reed valves and the pumper carbs, but not too much. A little work on the intake and exhaust, a bit of modifications on the cam and a 28mm carb, a straight pipe and a good air breather and it smoked. Yamaha had just came out with a twin cylinder 125 that was fast, but not as fast as my ole S 90 honda.

Donny Smith
Paragould, AR
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

socalmx

Never seen the Johnstone bike run but as mentioned earlier, I did see a factory Honda SL125 with a pro rider (Bruce Baron) get dusted on a regular basis by a couple of Mettco riders. The only Honda 4 stroke that really did well was the Bill Bell/Long Beach Honda XL250 raced by Bob Hosford. That bike flew and was well suited to the flat-track/scrambles nature of Ascot motocross. Personally speaking I got beat very bad by Rick Doughty of Vintage Iron at Elsinore GP one year. He was riding a simple looking Honda SL100 and I was on my Penton. Simple fact was that he is a much better rider and could had beat me on a Honda Trail 90!