WTB - Toaster Tank - High Breather Frame

Started by StephenRead, May 10, 2013, 03:14:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StephenRead

WTB - Looking for an Enduro Toaster Tank in good condition that will fit my '75 250 Hare Scrambler Enduro with High Breather CMF Frame.  Prefer red color but not picky.  Bike is under full rebuild in California and will be used for Vintage competition.  Include pictures with reply if possible. Thanks for any responses or information on fuel tank options.

marsattacks

Hi maybe you know this but just in case --

The toasters on Hare Scramblers only appeared in the 1973 model year and were in yellow/gold.  It is just possible that there was a Euro or US version in red for a short time but I don't think so.  My December of 1973 Hare Scrambler (very early 74 model year) came with a red watermelontank.  So to be actually correct, I think you'd want a watermelon.  There is a used one on Mark's Vintage MX Swapmeet right now for low $$.

If however you actually really want a red toaster tank you probably are looking at a Berkshire tank if you want the original gel coat.  I have one of those somewhere.  I will look for you and see what it looks like (if I can find it) and let you know what I would ask for it.

Best regards and good luck to you in your search!

Mars Attacks!
72 Jackpiner
72 Jackpiner-in-a-box
74 Harescrambler
68 Planetary/Lunar Lander (very sadly, sold with Gamma death-ray to the Italians)
78 400 MC5 also sadly sold
79 space rock shox bike

Mars Attacks!
68 Planetary/Lunar Lander (very sadly, sold with Gamma death-ray to the Italians)
79 space rock shox bike

Bob Bean

Really ?
my 74 250 HS came with a red toaster tank ?

Bob

1986 ISDE Italy
1987 ISDE Poland
1989 ISDE Germany

1986 ISDE Italy
1987 ISDE Poland
1989 ISDE Germany

454MRW

Bob,
Are you sure it wasn't an MX tank? My early red 250HS, which was the first month of red tank production has an MX tank. I have never seen a Toaster tank on a Red tank HS. Mike

Michael R. Winter
I enjoy rebuilding and appreciating Pentons!
1974 250 HS Pentons-1980 KTM 175-400'S
1975 Can Am 175 TNT & 77 250 Black Widow
1979 Husqvarna OR390
1976-78 RM & 77-79 PE Suzuki's
1974 CR250M 07 CR125R 79 CR250R
Michael R. Winter
I enjoy rebuilding and appreciating Pentons!
1976 Penton MC5 400
1977 KTM MC5 125
1978 KTM 78 GS6 250
L78-79 MX6 175-250 KTM\\\'s
1976-78 125-400 RM\\\'s
2007 CR125R Honda
1977 MC250 Maico
2017 KTM Freeride 250R

Bob Bean

The bike I got was a 1 owner bike.  3 brothers bought them in 74.
1 250 HS
2 400's

They rode the Michigan trails mostly.... A few enduro's.

When they quit riding, the bikes sat for years.
All 3 sold the bikes at the same time....
I got the 250 and a bike shop near me took the 400's.

I do not know for sure if this red tank was the original or not.
But with only one owner ? It is the flat side toaster tank / MX tank.
That is what I always saw on most of the Pentons around here.
I never saw many of the watermelon tanks for some reason.??

Bob

1986 ISDE Italy
1987 ISDE Poland
1989 ISDE Germany

1986 ISDE Italy
1987 ISDE Poland
1989 ISDE Germany

rob w

Red Berkshire tank on my Mint 400, some years ago.
This is what is known as a "toaster tank".

[/URL]

StephenRead

Thanks guys for the discussion.  The picture that Rob shows seems to be correct.  

Here is a picture of what I believe is the 1975 European(KTM) 250 Enduro with a red Toaster Tank and what my bike will look like pretty soon.

So Rob - What year Berkshire Toaster Tank properly fit your High breather frame ?  Mars-Attacks please check your stash and let me know if you have something I might be interested in.

Anyway, if anyone else has a Toaster Tank in good condition that you are willing to sell, please let me know by PM or a reply to this thread.

Bob Seymour

Would a orange colored toaster style tank from probably what I figure must be a 76 or 77 GS work for your purposes? Still has the original black and white Penton decals and stripes.

marsattacks

Ok I will have a look this weekend.  From a comparison of Euro and US bikes it looks reasonably certain that the US bikes did not have toasters after 73 but I fully understand why you prefer them!

For me the watermelon is a little bit bloated looking.

Blue toasters (jackpiners) should be easy to find as should be greenies.  Here is a post that sorts through some tank differences.

http://www.pentonusa.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9133&SearchTerms=Tank,toaster,hi-point

Mars Attacks!
72 Jackpiner
72 Jackpiner-in-a-box
74 Harescrambler
79 space rock shox bike

Mars Attacks!
79 space rock shox bike

rob w

Any and every toaster tank '72 and up, will fit well on a high-breather frame.

rob w

In 1976 the Penton Enduro model was call "Cross Country" and it had a different style toaster tank (more pointed and sharper angles at the front) that came in orange. Otherwise, the bike was basically the same as the 1975 model. Looks like that european model has the earlier style toaster tank.

Bob Seymour

Is Stephen still interested in a tank?

StephenRead

Bob - Yes I am still interested in finding a tank. Do you have something available ?  Since the website was changed over I don't see any ability to PM (Private Message).  Did I miss that class?  How should I contact you ?

marsattacks

I found my red toaster.  Stephen email me if you feel like it at marsattacks + [email protected]

I will send some photos. Have a red large toaster like the gs bikes too but not sure it would fit. A desert tank really.
Mars Attacks!
79 space rock shox bike

StephenRead

John - Thanks for finding the tank.  I am having problems with your email address (My system not yours).  I am interested in the tank.  Please email me some pictures to [email protected]   I have a couple of pictures I would like to send you also.  Thanks again for helping.