Wanted: Steel Tanker Gas Tanks

Started by hotrod392, May 11, 2013, 08:43:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotrod392

Looking for one or two nice fuel tanks without the tank bag mounts to get my project bikes running. Small dents OK, but no major rust (I already have two "swiss cheese" tanks).

I am also still looking for any '68 shocks and 4 bolt rear hubs / wheels (and probably will be forever...) will consider ANY condition.

Thanks
Shane

[email protected]
270-779-5070 cell

seanguthrie

I'm keeping an eye out for you Shane.  Although I've pretty much given up on doing a steel tank restore myself, I can still attract the old bits like magnets.

74 250 Hare scramble
73 CMF 6day
68 6day V213
74 250 Hare scramble
73 CMF 6day
68 6day V213

hotrod392

Thanks Sean.
I've made quite a bit of progress on V-213 and she's looking a lot better (will post or send photos). As you and I suspected, that quicky blue paint job the previous owner put on covered a world of sins. Once I stripped it, I found that it would make a better spagetti strainer than gas tank!

Thanks to those that have responded.
Shane

Daniel P. McEntee

If I had the spare time and a tank to experiment with, I would like to try to repair a tank like this by just flowing brazing rod material on a nicely propared tank, and see how it finishes off. I would think as long as there were no real major problems at any of the seams, just flowing brazing rod brass over the area may fill in enough to allow you to finish it nicely with the help of some Bondo for a collector bike, or still finish off OK for a bike you wanted to ride. Start off whith a nice clean tank, a good brazing rod and flux, and the smallest tip you got at a low flame. Look for the thinnest spots, and carefully work towards those and build up slowly. As you get more new material on and flowing, you get better heat sink and can build up the thinner areas. If you a large hole, pound out a piece to match the curve of the affected area, tack weld a rod to it for a handle, slip it in position then braze in place and build up some more brass to level out. Just thinking out loud and babbling on the computer, but what have you got to loose on a part that is getting more rare by the minute?
  Good luck and have fun,
   Dan McEntee