'73 250 H/S Engine Case Color

Started by Daniel P. McEntee, June 15, 2013, 05:59:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daniel P. McEntee

I can't seem to find a definitive photo of a '73 250 hare Scrambler case to tell what color the center cases are supposed to be. One photo looks like black, another I can't really tell because of shadows. The cases on my bike I don't think are original, and have been painted a couple of times. Black would be real easy! But I can do any color at this point. Anyone out there with a quick answer?
   Thanks a lot,
   Dan

OUCWBOY

Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

marsattacks

Definitely like Donny says. Just like the black case Jackpiners of '72.
Mars Attacks!
68 Planetary/Lunar Lander (very sadly, sold with Gamma death-ray to the Italians)
78 400 MC5 also sadly sold
79 space rock shox bike

Daniel P. McEntee

OK, thanks a lot. This bike is one of those that raises a lot of questions, like, at what point did they start painting the 250's red. this bike had all the fenders, tank and such painted silver and black by the previous owner, and in the process of stripping it down, the silver came off real easy as you would expect, and there was red under that, which was tougher, then the yellow gel coat of the tank. The airbox was the same way, only if you saw it, you would think that they were at the bottom of the can of yellow for the gel coat, kinda marbleish looking. I think the engine had been worked on, as the center cases were silver, the cylinder was silver, but the head was black. And the engine numbers on the center cases weren't complete, only had 4 numbers, but was stamped on both sides like it should be, and the surface where it was stamped was machined smooth, like they were replacement cases and had the number transferred. back when I got it there was a thread where someone posted some real nice photos of a real nice '73 250GS and right then I knew that is what I wanted mine to resemble. it won't be that nice, but I'll be happy with it. I wanted to buy a 250 Penton way back in 1975, and Dave Mungenast couldn't get at at that time, and I had been wanting one ever since. Finally netted this one last September and got another one just getting started on. Better late than never!
   Thanks a lot guys!
   Dan McEntee

marsattacks

The cases on 73's were different from 74's.  plus the kicker shaft was different I think (10mm?).  And the clutch also was different I think.  The other things to look for are swingarm, and of course the pipe.   I am not an expert just repeating what I seem to have seen.
Mars Attacks!
68 Planetary/Lunar Lander (very sadly, sold with Gamma death-ray to the Italians)
79 space rock shox bike

Daniel P. McEntee

While cleaning the center cases, I took a look at the casting clocks, and the right side has a 74 and the arrow points to 12, and the left has a 74 and the arrow points to 6 I think it was.More or less a year after the frame number! I think the '73 engine should have the full length ignition cover, and this one has the small one. Again, I'm not building a museum piece, just trying for a decent looking rider that looks pretty much like a '73 GS version. I just won a toaster tank for it on evilBay, so will add that to the mix later this summer I hope. I hope to try and start the bike on the 4th of July. We'll see if I can make that deadline.
  Thanks again,
   Dan McEntee

marsattacks

Cool please post photos along the way if you can!  Here is a good shot of a 73 right side case.  I would really like to build up a look alike 73 from a pile of Jackpiner parts using the 175 engine. I have the pieces just no time or talent!

https://www.google.com/search?q=73+penton&safe=off&client=safari&hl=en&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=sp69UbjYL8Wn4AOH0YGIAw&ved=0CDEQsAQ&biw=1024&bih=672#biv=i%7C17%3Bd%7CJuT5lz0Jks1xtM%3A
Mars Attacks!
79 space rock shox bike

Daniel P. McEntee

I'll get some pics to Mike Winter and ask him to post them. I haven't figured that part of this thing out yet. The next question is, to blue or not to blue the oval in the side cases? Seems from the pictures that it is done both ways. I kind of like it with the blue, and since this bike isn't a 100% resto museum piece, I think I'll add the blue. It's a nice accent.
  Thanks for the link to the pictures!
  Type at you later,
   Dan

454MRW

As far as I know they were all blue behind the KTM in the oval. Also on the silver case KTM's the circle indentation around the clutch cover on the same side was painted black, which is missed by a lot of people repainting the engines. It really sets off the engine! However, your 73 250HS should have black engine cases. Mike

Michael R. Winter
I enjoy rebuilding and appreciating Pentons!
1974 250 HS Pentons-1980 KTM 175-400'S
1975 Can Am 175 TNT & 77 250 Black Widow
1979 Husqvarna OR390
1976-78 RM & 77-79 PE Suzuki's
1974 CR250M 07 CR125R 79 CR250R
Michael R. Winter
I enjoy rebuilding and appreciating Pentons!
1976 Penton MC5 400
1977 KTM MC5 125
1978 KTM 78 GS6 250
L78-79 MX6 175-250 KTM\\\'s
1976-78 125-400 RM\\\'s
2007 CR125R Honda
1977 MC250 Maico
2017 KTM Freeride 250R