VMD 2013 and TooClose Racing

Started by tooclose racing, July 26, 2013, 01:10:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tooclose racing

We came.  We fought.  We...oh wait, here's where the story-telling begins:

First - a big thanks to Gary Ellis for bringing a wonderfully-prepared 1974 Jackpiner to VMD for me to race.  You can imagine my shock when I learned he wanted money for it.  I thought it was a POG site loaner bike! [:p]

Friday's two hare scramble races (Vint and Post Vint) pretty much made that my D Day, especially with the heat.  It didn't help that Gary and Dave kept saying - "the only thing that will prevent this Jackpiner from winning is the rider".  Uhh...they were right.  When I started my 4th lap in that heat, I couldn't help but to start thinking about the Noon race and was guilty of backing off.  Which of course makes you screw up more, and I got passed by another 'Piner near the end.  So ended up with a third in 200B, and an overall time that no one would really be proud of.  But that Jackpiner is a sweet, sweet ride.  Top finisher was a guy named Greg Barrett (blond pony tail) on a Yamaha MX175- he was pretty fast last year and very fast at Unadilla this year. Turns out he races a modern Gas-Gas in XCs about three times a month.  Now I'm not making excuses here but...wait - yes, I am.  Kudos to Mike Hafacker from Canton OH, who was on that Jackpiner that passed me.

So let's see - about an hour and 15 minutes of rest with a cold towel over my head and it was time to fire up the MC5 for the 250B PV class/race.  ALMOST MISSED THE START.  Pulled up and first two rows were gone already.  Starter was glaring at me to get my hand on my helmet.  Hit 2nd gear and did an absolutely INSANE moto-x lap and headed into woods third or fourth overall on a 25+ bike start.  I had a great first couple of laps (I mean it - they felt fast...)and then ended up with my bike on top of me ON A DOWNWARD SLOPE after hitting a root wrong in a freakin' slow section. Once I recovered - and visions of my long-dead mother staring down at me faded from my periphery - I averaged passing about one bike a lap and having 4 bikes pass me. Gawd!  And when the PV Experts showed up to lap me (Lap 3 or 4), they just bush-wacked my butt when we all hit a tight spot at once.  Actually I hit it first, but it didn't matter to them.  Not nice, dudes.  Finally - did I mention that my front brake cable popped out of the lever and I couldn't find my frickin' camelback's water hose (it had tucked itself away nicely somewhere...)?

What this all finally added up to was...PV 250B GRAND NATIONAL CHAMP.  All the hardware.  Stickers. Number plate.  And bragging rights.  :D  Gary and Dave were pretty much sick of hearing about this by Saturday and left early.

After the hot, hot Friday (BTW- Gary raced the "Modern" hare scramble on his 84 KTM 125 and took 3rd in the 200A class and I think 3rd overall..NICE!) - we were greeted with 2" of rain on Saturday and an insanely muddy track.  I decided to only race the Jackpiner that day (they run "EVO 1" for my 76 on the same day), which meant the AMA museum got a $50 donation on my behalf since I had signed up both bikes. By Race 9 that afternoon, that track was only good for  pottery wheels or building adobe brick homes. But they had reduced the event to just one moto for each class because they got started so late due to continuous track mods with the 'dozer.  I was thrilled - that put me that much closer to the beer-drinking that my body so desperately needed at VMD.  This time I won the 200B class per Gary's expectations - and I must give a lot of the credit to the Jackpiner. Finished 4th overall with about 20+ bikes on the line  - we were combined with 125B class, so that wasn't too chabby either.  Oh - and I beat Greg Barrett on his MX175 - so that was ESPECIALLY sweet. Now -a funny thing happens at the awards/podium.  After they hand me my big #1 plaque, I go to grab the hat, the number plate, and they pull them away from me. I tug them back. They pull them out my hands and shake their heads. I'm fuming.  Think Yoda from Star Wars "Is mine! Is mine!"  Well, don't they give Greg Barrett the GRAND NATIONAL Champion award for 200B Vint MX.  X%#@!! Turns out the award is tied to competing in this AMA series that started up this year.  And Greg must have shown up at a couple of races.  He looked at me with that smile that says "Who's the man NOW, Blue Boy?" Sigh...;)

And that's it.  The beer-drinking began in earnest from then on.  Hit the flat track that night in Ashland and was having a great time sitting next to Perry King and Rob Dingham in the AMA reserved seats right on the start finish line ("I'm sorry - who are you and why were you allowed to sit here....?") when the rains came down and put the kabosh on that show.  Sunday, bought some swap meet trinkets, enjoyed and EXCELLENT POG lunch (thank you guys) and hung out with some of my former roadrace buddies and checked out their hardware.  

Noticed that AMA has their photo galleries up. If this hyperlink works, check me out on the MC5. Heck, I almost look fast.  Oh - and check out where my camelback line is (just noticed). [8)]

http://gallery.americanmotorcyclist.com/AMA-Racing/2013-AMA-VGC-HS/30700572_gWSrnj#!i=2652938180&k=4g8BQPv&lb=1&s=A

seanguthrie

Great write up.  Wish I could have made Mid-O this year but I must say I would not swap this past weekend in WV for it.

74 250 Hare scramble
73 CMF 6day
68 6day V213
74 250 Hare scramble
73 CMF 6day
68 6day V213

tooclose racing

Thanks...

I have an annual schedule conflict on the last weekend of July that has prevented me from going to WV.  My loss.  I need to resolve it and join y'all.

seanguthrie

I think you would really enjoy that track and woods.  It's been my favorite since I raced it last year.

74 250 Hare scramble
73 CMF 6day
68 6day V213
74 250 Hare scramble
73 CMF 6day
68 6day V213