32mm ceriani fork springs

Started by pklinck, August 28, 2013, 07:36:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pklinck

Does anyone know where you can purchase NOS or new springs for the 32mm forks on the cmf bikes?  Does any supplier provide modify the dampeners?

Let me know I source,

peter klinck
peter klinck

pklinck

Just to answer my own question.  In the latest AHRMA vintage news, I found a supplier who rebuilds, sells parts for various front fork companies suchs as;  Bator, ceriani, Showa, KYB, Marzocchi, etc.  Their name is RACR TECH(racetech.com).  They work on 32mm forks and larger.  

Many penton riders have said one should simply change your 32mm cerianis for 35mm cerianis on the 72-73 penton 100s-175s.  My feeling is that if you weight under 150 pounds like I do, the idea again is to be light and nimble, so to speak.  Therefore, if possible to repair, change parts or upgrade 32mm ceriani forks, I think one should do so.

peter klinck
peter klinck

brian kirby

I dont see any reason to swap the 32mm forks for 35s for exactly the reason you said, weight. On a 100 weight is your enemy and even though the 35s have a bit more travel and better action, they are not worth the extra weight IMO.

Brian
Brian

pklinck

Just to answer my own question.  In the latest AHRMA vintage news, I found a supplier who rebuilds, sells parts for various front fork companies suchs as;  Bator, ceriani, Showa, KYB, Marzocchi, etc.  Their name is RACR TECH(racetech.com).  They work on 32mm forks and larger.  

Many penton riders have said one should simply change your 32mm cerianis for 35mm cerianis on the 72-73 penton 100s-175s.  My feeling is that if you weight under 150 pounds like I do, the idea again is to be light and nimble, so to speak.  Therefore, if possible to repair, change parts or upgrade 32mm ceriani forks, I think one should do so.

peter klinck
peter klinck

brian kirby

I dont see any reason to swap the 32mm forks for 35s for exactly the reason you said, weight. On a 100 weight is your enemy and even though the 35s have a bit more travel and better action, they are not worth the extra weight IMO.

Brian
Brian

Dwight Rudder

I don't have a problem with 32mm forks. I run full oil level and 7.5wt oil. I weigh 185lbs.

pklinck

Dwight and Brian,

thanks for your comments.  I think though, this winter, I should take my Wiesco piston out and compare weights of the same bore with a Mahle piston.

peter klinck
peter klinck

joe novak

I prefer the 35mm forks, especially the later ones with the blades on the front.   Their travel can be extended well beyond that of the 72 or 73 32mm forks.

Dwight Rudder

Yes but the bladed forks are illegal for Vintage racing. They have too much travel. The standard 32mm and 35mm have 6.5" of travel. Plenty for these bikes.

Lew Mayer

I have the bladed forks but had to change to shorter damper rods to
make them legal for vintage.

Lew Mayer
Lew Mayer

pklinck

I spoke with RaceTech out of California and they said to upgrade your 32mm front fork suspension; install emulators (inside)on top of the springs at the end of each tube as well as, change the springs.  They didn't suggest to modify or change the dampeners, like we have seen being done especially with the 35mm forks on several brands of vintage motorcycles.  The price tag for those changes is about 325 dollars.

peter klinck
peter klinck

brian kirby

Of course they suggest that, they make and sell Emulators. IMO that $325 is better spent elsewhere.

Brian
Brian

pklinck

Brian,

Do you have any different suggestions on how to improve 32mm fork suspension without changing to the 35mm size that may be cheaper than 325$ at RaceTech?

peter klinck
peter klinck

KJDonovan

Peter,

You didn't mention what is wrong with your existing springs, so I will assume they are just not as stiff as they were 40 years ago.  Have you tried adding a little preload to your existing springs?   You can accomplish this with a couple of small lengths of PVC pipe about 1 to 2 inches long.  Just find some heavy walled PVC with about the same OD as your springs, pull your fork caps and place one on top of each spring, then reinstall the fork caps.  I've done this on a few bikes and it firms up old springs.  You can try different lengths until you get the feel you are looking for.  I would also mention, to make sure the vent caps are actually venting, clean them well and replace the tiny springs in the caps if needed.

Thanks,

Kevin

Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
72 Jack Piner (My Ride)
72 Six Day (Wifes Ride)
71 Suzuki TS125
72 Montesa Cota 123
Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
72 Jack Piner
72 Six Day
73 Hare Scrambler
74 Hare Scrambler
74 Mint

pklinck

Kevin,

..."adding some PCV pipe (1-2")to improve the preload"....My question is when adding a spacer in the top of the tubes are we increasing the shock travel?? I don't think so and since there is already an inch of sagg, would it not be best to change and update the springs for maimum travel??  Let me know.

peter klinck
peter klinck