Seperating Crank Halves

Started by BrianTaylor, October 22, 2013, 01:01:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrianTaylor

I have searched my manual and I have searched this site on info regarding spearating the crank halves . I know there is a certain way to do that without damaging the halves themselves due to the tapper pin.... anyone know where I can find this info .... I want to take it to my machine shop guy so he can do it propperly ... Thks BT

Brian Taylor
Brian Taylor

pklinck

Brian,

If the machine shop is good, they should know how to separate the crank halves.  Remember, the there is a taper, most important to know.  If they don't know, call Forest Stall at "advanced tool and Die" in Indiana and he can explain to you and be on speaker phone at the machine shop.  Good Luck.  I think under the list of "suppliers" on the POG site I've seen Forest's name there before or in the Quarterly magazine.  Good Luck.

peter klinck
peter klinck

tomale

Splitting a  crank in half is not that difficult,  the real trick is getting it back together and done right. Frankly it should be left to someone who is familiar with that bike.  You can destroy the crank or even the motor if not done right.  There are specs for this stuff and they need to be followed to the letter, forget the just wing it, or for that matter any one who does not have a lot of experience with this.

Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
76' 250 MC5 (orginal owner)
74' 1/2 440 maico
70' 400 maico (project)
72' cr125 Husky (project)
93' RMx 250 suzuki
Honda TL 125
2004 Suzuki DL1000

Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W