spark plug cap

Started by Lee Brown, November 17, 2013, 06:47:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lee Brown

Looking for a good quality water resistant spark plug cap for motoplat coil, Hopefully one that covers more of the spark plug,am i looking for a non resistant cap or a resistant cap any help would be great thx.....

x

firstturn

Lee,
  I use a sparky for most uses since I don't race.  But for people who are going to race in Mud etc. here is what I use and they are priced right!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PENTON-ZUNDAPP-ANCILLOTTI-YANKEE-ALLSTATE-BRIDGESTONE-VILLIERS-SPARKS-PLUG-CAPS-/141115770385?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item20db27c611&vxp=mtr

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Daniel P. McEntee

For a Motoplat, you DO NOT want a resistor cap, I do believe. I have just used plain old Sparky caps since the old days with good results. You just want to make sure the plug wire is secure and doesn't fall off easy. Water proofing of the plug, I feel, isn't too important. When it comes to water proofing, making something watre proof can also make it real hard for water to escape and cause bigger problems. Like ignition side cases. It's better top vent them with a tube that runs up under the tank, than to put gobs of silicone sealers and such thinking that you'll seal out the water. But if you take a hot engine and dunk it in a cold water crossing, the rapid contraction fo air in the case will suck water past the seams and the seals. Just find a good quality, nonresistor cap and make sure it's secure when installed. And if it's the style of cap the needs the little do dad screwed on the top of the plug, give them a twist with a pair of pliers first before you install the plug to make sure it's tight.
   Good Luck and have fun,
    Dan McEntee

KJDonovan

Lee,

NGK makes a really good non-resistor plug cap that is available through the Parts Unlimited catalog that fits snug and the rubber it is made out of remains pliable hot or cold.  The part number in the catalog is LBER and you should be able to order it at most any dealer.  One note, in the Off Road catalog it is listed on page 558 under "Resistor Covers" but it is a non-resistor cap.   Less than 5 bucks and works great.

Thanks,

Kevin

Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
72 Jack Piner (My Ride)
72 Six Day (Wifes Ride)
71 Suzuki TS125
72 Montesa Cota 123
Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
72 Jack Piner
72 Six Day