New member here !

Started by Daniel Desranleau, December 02, 2013, 02:47:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daniel Desranleau

Hello,
Just a quick note to introduce myself as one of the newer members to your site. I checked out some of the conversation over the last year and decided to finally join the group. I'm new to Penton ownership and hope I can get some help here in my quest to restore one of these great bikes. I picked up a 73' Six Day a while back and hope to get it running some day. It will need a lot of work and a total engine rebuild as it's stuck; and I believe it will be more than just the top end. The bike is very original but rough, even the wheels are locked up. I'm a long time bike guy but haven't been on dirt in many years.
My location is Northern Vermont.
Thanks,
Dan.

Steve Minor

Hello Dan...welcome to the group. First thing you'll need, if you don't already have one, is a manual. Al Buehner, on the supplier page, has them. Then ask questions...these guys here are great and super helpful.

Steve Minor
Steve Minor

Daniel Desranleau

Thanks Steve.
Yea, I'm aware of the need to use all of Al's resources and knowledge. I have talked to him on the phone and he was great to deal with. Second, I need to post to the correct section as I thought I was posting this intro to the general Penton board and not the race talk board. Sorry... I have pulled an old Sachs motor apart that I had in a Dalesman just to see what's there and get a feel for how to take it apart. It was very rough and mostly toast other than for some spare parts I might be able to salvage. I needed a torch and impact driver to get most of it apart. I took notes and a lot of pictures.
Thanks again for the info and hello.
Dan.

pklinck

Dan,  greetings and welcome aboard to the POG.  I am also from Vermont. I may have contacted you once by phone last year...??  

In 2011-2012, I finished up rebuilds of two 73' penton 125 six-day motorcycles.  I started from scratch and also broke down the motors and have most of the special tools now.  I practiced using the special tools, shimming the shafts, etc.... a learning experience to practice and perfect.  Give me a call and I can attempt to respond to your rebuild questions.  Lots of trouble shooting knowing how to differentiate running problems between say the carb issues, cylinder, ignition, etc.  I entered my six-day in the 40th anniversary ISDTRR in North Adams, Mass. this past August, 2013 and had a successful ride.

You can also come down and visit me in Tunbridge, VT and see these bikes and we can talk too.  Let me know.  802/889-3585  Good luck.

peter klinck
peter klinck

Daniel Desranleau

Hi Peter,
Thanks for saying hi and the warm welcome. I will get in touch and would enjoy talking and stopping by to check out your bikes. I have a varity of old classics so my time is always divided for projects.
Talk soon,
Dan.

pklinck

Dan,  Greetings.  My email in VT is [email protected]

Best regards,

peter klinck
peter klinck